At-home Artificial Insemination - HOW TO and success stories.

I am TTC this month for the first time with a donor. I am. My donor lives a couple of hours from me. We were considering me meeting him halfway to pick up the sperm. Is there any chance of success with a 40 minute delay between him "donating" and me using it? Thank you so much ladies!

If you keep it in a closed container at body temperature there should be very minimal loss of sperm in that time frame.

1. If you used a donor (rather than your spouse), how did you find your donor

N/A. Spouse was donor.

2. What method(s) did you use to track ovulation

Ovia app as well as "Easy@Home" ovulation test strips (found cheap on Amazon)

3. What method(s) of insemination did you use

We collected the specimen in a plain, clean (disposable) plastic cup. Then, we used a 5ml luer slip tip syringe to collect the specimen out of the cup. Next, I relaxed in a recliner with my hips raised and we inserted the syringe as far into my vagina as was comfortable. Once the syringe was in as far as was comfortable, I steadily pressed in on the plunger and then waited a few seconds and removed the syringe. I then immediately inserted a Softcup (12 hour feminine protection cup). Once the Softcup was in place, I used a vibrator to achieve an orgasm. After that, I just went about my evening as usual and kept the Softcup in overnight. I removed the Softcup the next morning.

I will note that we tried the "Stork" OTC Conception Aid one month and it was truly AWFUL! Not only was it extremely expensive, it was very difficult to use. The worst part was that I felt like we wasted a perfectly good ovulation day.

4. How many times per cycle did you inseminate and what was the timing relative to ovulation (e.g. 2 days before and day of)?

The month that our insemination was successful, we had inseminated on the day of ovulation, two days prior, and five days prior. Most months prior to that, we had tried on the day of ovulation, the day after, and two to three days prior.

5. Logistics. Where did you meet your donor and how did the donation occur?

N/A.

6. Did it work? If so, how many cycles did it take?

Yes!!! I am currently 15 weeks pregnant. We began trying in July and were successful in October. I will note, however, that my husband was taking a blood pressure medication (Amlodipine) up until August that has been shown to have some negative effect on fertility. He stopped taking the medication in early September (over a month before we were successful).

7. If you used a donor, what is the relationship you have (or intend to have) with your donor?

N/A

8. Anything else you think people should know?

I came on this very site about 7 months ago to read about how people were attempting to inseminate at home. Due to scar tissue issues from a surgical intervention during childhood, my husband was unable to ejaculate from intercourse- thus making "traditional" conception impossible for us. I felt like home insemination was really our best hope for conceiving- but I had no idea if it really worked. My husband was VERY skeptical and was sure that we would have to go the more traditional IVF route. I came back today to post this message because I want other people who are facing similar struggles to know that this DOES WORK! In six months I will have a little girl that proves it :) Best of luck to everyone who is struggling and hoping to conceive.

I love love love this thread and found it very helpful and reasuring <3

Donor is a best friend of mine and my wife
Ovulation app and the cheepy ovulation predictor strips twice a day during ovulation window. Temping didnt work for me because Im such a restless sleeper
We used a 10ml oral syringe and diva cup. I would inseminate a small amout of preseed into me a few min before, as well as smeared some inside the Diva cup. We would suck up most of the seman into syringe from the jar our donor brought, My wife (or I if she was working) would push the syringe in as deep as it would go (it wasnt very long) and slooooowly push push it in. We would leave the syringe in for 5sh min with hips elevated and sloooowly take it out (I eventually found it best to use harder couch cusions instead of soft bed pillows) If there was much seman left in the jar we would pour it into the diva cup and insert that. I would lay around for another 20 min before getting up. I would try to lounge with feet up on the couch or bed the rest of the eve. I didnt try to reach orgasm as I found it too stressful to think about but we would at least dim the lights, light our fav candle and make out :hugs:
4. How many times per cycle did you inseminate and what was the timing relative to ovulation (e.g. 2 days before and day of)?
We tried 3 times a cycle. 3 days before Ovulation, 1 day before and day of
Our donor would make his sample at home and drive it over. He woud drop if off, go grab a drink at the local bar and come back to hang out and have dinner. Sometimes I would pick up the sample and inseminate at home. One time I did it at his house and then hung out with him with my hips up watching a movie. We used a warmed mason jar or a reusable travel soap squeeze bottle, haha we were very unmedicle about it all.
IT WORKED!! 2 cylcles, 6 inseminations in total. Im very newly pregnant so hoping is sticks
7. If you used a donor, what is the relationship you have (or intend to have) with your donor?
Our donor will have an uncle type relationship with baby. We wrote a contract but didnt go through a lawyer. We are in Ontario and a new law was passed that my wife and I can both be on the birth cirtificate even though we know our donor.
We see our donor weekly and even if it wasn't his geneticly he would still be around to help

We are so fortunate because we have someone close to us that we trust 100%. He got all his STI testing and was honest when he was even a little bit intamite with someone.
Also, both myself and donor were taking supplements to increase fertility a couple months before we started. Coq10, Vit E, Vit C, Omega 3, Vit D, and myself a prenatal multi. Not sure if they helped but it was worth it cause we didn't have to spend money on IUI. We were thinking that if I didn't get pregnant in four months then we would get prepped for IUI. In Canada there is a very striked 6 month quarentine for the sperm.

So happy to add our story to this thread, I did read it when we were trying and it helped me.

1. If you used a donor (rather than your spouse), how did you find your donor:
He's a friend of a friend, but now, a year later, definitely our friend too.

2. What method(s) did you use to track ovulation:
Oh everything... FF, Ava, CM, and at last an ultrasound cycle monitoring.

3. What method(s) of insemination did you use:
Mosie Baby (cup and syringe that costs a lot...)

Between once and 3 times, on the cycle it worked only once on day before o.

Either at our home or his. We drank something or ate together, then he made the donation into a cup and put it in the syringe, which he left by the bed. We put it inside and slowly pushed the plunge. Then I stayed in bed for about 10 minutes, either with or without orgasm...

7 cycles

He is involved but not the father. We intend to stay friends. We also have a contract.

Good luck!

1. If you used a donor (rather than your spouse), how did you find your donor?

We used a distant friend. Somebody we could trust but somebody who we wernt super close with to make it awkward

2. What method(s) did you use to track ovulation?
We used an app. Put in my last period date and it told us which days I would be fertile and what my ovulation day was. I tried using the ovulation kits but found them very unhelpful.

3. What method(s) of insemination did you use?
Had him put the contents into a sterile cup, and then we used a 10ml oral syringe to inseminate

We did it 4 times before ovulation day, and then twice on that day.

donor did his business in a sterile cup, first time in our bathroom and the rest of the time at his house where we would then go pick it up.

YES! It worked our first cycle and first time trying to get pregnant! We are so overjoyed!

he will not play any role in the babies life. He actually just moved away and didn't even want to know if it worked or not.

Just relax and trust your body. I was so skeptical and didn't think it would work. Especially not the first try... But here we are!

Hi did you use preseed? Pls advice me

Hi! I didn't use preseed, didn't see a reason to since it doesn't really increase your chances. And we used a syringe and after that put the soft cup in, just to prevent leakage on the way home but not for longer than a couple of hours. I got pregnant first time after 9 cycles, afterwards 1st and 2nd times (had 2 losses). Good luck!

Last edited:
Home insemination is seriously worked? I dunno why im still not suceess using this method? Feel very down

At first we tried Known Donor Registry and Pride Angel, and found some great donors who were farther away. After Covid-19 started becoming an issue and we couldn't travel we anonymously asked a few local parenting groups for tips and found a donor that way.
I started using OPKs twice a day once I noticed fertility signs like EWCM.
Soft cup at the cervix, sometimes a syringe with pre-seed, all inserted in our minivan. :D
3 times per cycle, starting when I first got my positive OPK and up until the day of ovulation (I can feel ovulation)
We parked in front of his house and he'd bring the sample out in a soft cup. My wife would grab it, hand it to me, and I inserted while in the car (after driving somewhere more private).
It worked on our third time!
Known donor who will be involved as much as the child wants. As someone who is donor conceived, it's the only ethical option. My mom used a known donor and I am grateful for that.
Please, please consider using a known donor. :)

This thread is amazing. I'm about to start this process after 3 years of TTC.

I will do a proper reply in a couple of months with my tips and tricks

Home insemination is seriously worked? I dunno why im still not suceess using this method? Feel very down
It depends on many reasons, but in general it has lower success rate compared with IVF

Soo excited to be able to add our story here!

Questions:
On an online forum, he was actually the first profile we read!

Started with simple OPK's and cervical mucous then bought a clearblue ovulation tracker that linked to my phone.

Pre seed, then syringe followed by orgasm.. atleast twice!

It ranged from once to 3 times depending on donor availability. When we conceived it was 3 inseminations on that cycle.
We inseminated on days 3, 5 and 7 of the fertile window. Day 7 was day of ovulation.

Donor would drop donation off to us at home.

We have had a BFP on cycle 5
We did miss one month due to a month with no ovulation, so took 6 months.

No further relationship. He has offered us a sibling in future if we want.

Its the month you don't think you have conceived that you probably have.
Also, your body can play some crazy tricks with you, trying to convince you that you are pregnant when your not!
The more stressed you become the less chance it happens; we had to work really hard to be chill about it.

Soo excited to be able to add our story here!

Questions:
On an online forum, he was actually the first profile we read!

Started with simple OPK's and cervical mucous then bought a clearblue ovulation tracker that linked to my phone.

Pre seed, then syringe followed by orgasm.. atleast twice!

It ranged from once to 3 times depending on donor availability. When we conceived it was 3 inseminations on that cycle.
We inseminated on days 3, 5 and 7 of the fertile window. Day 7 was day of ovulation.

Donor would drop donation off to us at home.

We have had a BFP on cycle 5
We did miss one month due to a month with no ovulation, so took 6 months.

No further relationship. He has offered us a sibling in future if we want.

Its the month you don't think you have conceived that you probably have.
Also, your body can play some crazy tricks with you, trying to convince you that you are pregnant when your not!
The more stressed you become the less chance it happens; we had to work really hard to be chill about it.

Congrats on it working!! My partner and I are on our 3rd cycle. We're trying preseed this time and are worried we're doing it wrong. How much did you insert before the insemination? We've put in about a ml then a few minutes later inseminate with the syringe. Is that too much do you think? Will it interfere with the sperm finding their wayup? Should we leave it in longer before inseminating?

Any answers from anyone would be appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
It depends on many reasons, but in general it has lower success rate compared with IVF

Hi mimie 4, my baby now 2 months old..yeah soft cup method really worked for me.thanks for all support in this group

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->