At home reception ideas?

Darlin65

Married with a Munchkin
Reaction score
We are doing a small immediate family only wedding so with all the kiddies like 33 people. We will have our church ceremony and we are then coming back to the house for the reception. We will be having it in OH's parent's basement. It is a nice finished basement but of course there is furniture and like a TV down there and stuff. I was wondering how to make it feel more like a wedding reception? Any ideas? They have tables and chairs so I am going to buy some tablecloths, china, chargers etc. and still have some small centerpieces. Do you think it is still weird to do toasts and a first dance? I don't want to give them up but they seem a little silly :blush: How should I go about incorporating all of these things? I'd like to do some special lighting with like white Christmas lights and things, does that sound too much? Thanks! :)

It all sounds so lovely!
I would deffo do a first dance and toasts, I don't think it seems silly at all, it is your wedding after all :)

Do you have any kind of theme or your day which could help with decorating the room?

I don't think it sounds silly to do toast etc either. And I'm sure once you've got the tables etc in there and decorated it will start to feel more weddingy. It depends what style you're going for, whether you want it traditional wedding reception style or something cost and intimate :thumbup:

You could totally transform the room so that it doesn't look like a basement at all. Are you able to remove the TV and other furniture and things? You could cover the ceiling in fairy lights and then drape the lightest grey crepe paper over the top (to give the same look as the way fabric drapes in marquees are draped, but you could do it with just some duct tape as crepe paper is so lightweight) and it would give the room an amazing ethereal look. If there are beautiful features such as an pretty doorway, a fireplace, or nice windows then make the most of them with candles or flowers (Pinterest is amazing for ideas). Perhaps rent some antique screens to hide areas of the room that aren't weddingy and make it look really beautiful at the same time, or make your own screen with a large sheet of cardboard, a hole punch and dried flowers. Balloons are really 'in' for weddings at the moment and a few big white ones can look so cute, especially with draping. If all else fails then don't have their lights on at all, just candles candles candles! Could you get photos of the room? It'd be loads easier to help if we could see. :flower:

No I don't have pictures and it's a ways away to get them. It really is just a typical basement nothing fancy. You walk down the stairs to a big open room. Couches and TV to the right computer desk to the left (sort of back behind the stairs) pool table in the back left corner. It's a fairly large room. No fireplaces or shelves or anything. The ceiling has those large removable like tile things in cream, cream walls, cream carpet very basic. There are a couple support beams down the middle. Here I tried my best. In the big empty spot is usually a ping pong table and dining room table we will be moving :thumbup: This is to show where the stuff is we can't move :winkwink:

Attachments

• Basement.jpg
    Basement.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 12
Hi Just wanted to let you know we had our evening reception at my parents. It was in the middle of a heat wave so most people were out in the garden (we only had 20 guests). It was lovely and I don't regret it. We just had lots of candles lit once it got dark, my god father did the food (he has his own restaurant and got a couple of his waitresses to help serve) and my god mother paid for the bar. A lot of people who came said it was one of the nicest wedding they have been to because it was so intimate. We had speeches and had our first dance was on the grass where I played as a child. It was so special. XXX Good luck it will be what you make it.

I don't think the dances and toasts are silly. It is your wedding, do what makes you happy. Also, if there is something you will regret not doing, you should do it. My reception was in my aunt's backyard. I had an aunt who draped some fabric in different areas to hide features that weren't as pretty and it turned out beautifully.

We actually are booking a private room in a nice restaurant now :winkwink: My mom hated the idea that we were having it at home and making the food ourselves so she is paying for it! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->