ate lunch meat.. :(

heaveneats

Emma's Mommy
Reaction score
I know the risk of Listeria is low but still i'm so worried now, i was so hungry at lunch and we had a catered lunch with some delicious cold cut sandwiches and i ate one not even thinking :(

I did this a couple of times. Once was early on and I was working at a girl scout day camp. When lunch arrived it was sandwiches. I was super hungry and that was all we had so I ate two before I realized. The other time was at my other job when lunch was catered. That was maybe a week or two ago. That time I chose to eat the sandwich. Again, it was the only option, but I knew the grocery store that was catering and I know they do cook everything well first so I felt better about it. I have made sure I have been better prepared since.

I wouldn't worry too much. Lots of women eat and drink things they shouldn't early on because they don't know they're pregnant or don't know what is off limits. Most of the time it isn't a problem.

I wouldn't worry hun. I've had it twice this pregnancy and while I always kinda regret it, everything has been fine.

From what I've read the most danger with Listeria appears to be in the last tri.

Im sure you will be ok. The chances are so low that you will get Listeria. Just make sure you heat the meat from now on. I love cold cuts when pregnant and crave subway. I just have them heat it up and its safe to eat.

Please don't worry about this (I know easier said than done during pregnancy). You're not more likely to eat listeria infected meat while pregnant, it's just that it's potentially more serious if you do. But I'm willing to bet you've been eating cold meats all your life and never had listeria poisoning!! There is no reason why you would now. It's possibly more of a concern in countries where there's less regulation of this sort of thing, and where hygiene standards etc are low.

I had no idea that cold sandwich meat was a no no! I ate it all the way through with my son and have eaten it like I normally would in sandwiches for work through this pregnancy so far.

I was advised about soft cheeses and runny eggs ect but not sandwich ham.

Don't stress to much I think a lot of us do it. I've had roast beef from the deli twice as it was catered both times. the risk is very low. If it happens again you can always microwave the meat a bit if it's an option my OB said if you microwave it then it should be fine.

Probably not what you want to hear but I REFUSE to follow the pregnancy diet. The only thing I draw the line at is KFC chicken pieces because you can't trust how cooked it is with the bone and sushi. I had a really bad case of nausea with one of the boys (can't remember who) but it was something that was NOT excluded from the food recommendations and was considered 'safe' to eat. Refusing to give up my favorite foods have never done any of my pregnancies any harm - unless you count #2. I was going though bananas galore. Pretty sure I gave birth to a monkey because he can eat them like they are going out of fashion. :/ At the end of the day, eat what you feel comfortable with. :) Every woman and every pregnancy is different. <3

I had no idea that cold sandwich meat was a no no! I ate it all the way through with my son and have eaten it like I normally would in sandwiches for work through this pregnancy so far.

I was advised about soft cheeses and runny eggs ect but not sandwich ham.

Midwife told me soft cheeses are fine as long as they are eaten in a 24 hour period. Runny eggs are fine, ham is fine - as long as they cut the ham fresh in front of you as some Deli's can be really, really lazy on food hygiene. Mind you, in saying that, foods that are safe and what should be avoided vary from country to country. I'm in NZ which is why I was given the above information.

I suspect you're in the US and I know things are different there, but I've never avoided deli meat (we aren't advised to nor are women in most of the world). I've had it several times this pregnancy actually. Most listeria outbreaks in recent years have been in commercial packaged fruit and vegetables anyway.

I am going to echo those above. I just enjoyed some nice Italian sub for lunch yesterday and have probably had over a hundred lunch meat sandwiches throughout this pregnancy alone. I've never in my life contracted listeriosis. The practice I use (the largest OBGYN facility in my area) has never had a patient contract listeriosis during pregnancy. They've been open for over 40 years. I'm not all that worried about it. Our last listeria outbreaks in America were caused by raw cheese, packaged salads (this was a big one), frozen packaged vegetables, even fresh apples!

I stay safer by choosing delis I trust to provide only fresh meat, or I use packaged meat from good brands like Applegate and eat the meat the day I open the package and the next day, and that's it. I like a nice, thick sandwich anyway and finish the package in 2 sittings. Haha. I've never gotten sick from a deli sandwich, but I have gotten sick from e.Coli in a cheeseburger at Wendy's. During this pregnancy. That was not fun!!!

In the U.K the only thing not advised is smoked stuff (chorizo, salami, smoked salmon). Everything else (ham, cold cuts etc) are safe. I have certainly been eating all of those without issues.

I ate deli meat with both my kids whoaps LOL

In the U.K the only thing not advised is smoked stuff (chorizo, salami, smoked salmon). Everything else (ham, cold cuts etc) are safe. I have certainly been eating all of those without issues.

I second this too - in the UK, we're not even advised not to eat cold meats. I only know about it from online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->