Attempt #2 at a Travel thread

GonnaBaMama

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I see that my previous thread has been closed as the conversation got a little off topic. I appreciate the feedback, but would like to hear more about those who have travelled during their pregnancy on flights longer than 6 hours. I travel 2-3 times a year (travel is my passion, I have travelled to 17 countries and am hoping to hit 50 within my lifetime) I plan on flying to Poland at the beginning of my 2nd trimester and it will be an over night flight. Chances are I will sleep through most of it so I may not get the chance to walk around a lot to keep the circulation flowing. I will definitely do my best to wake up and stretch out and stroll, but I always find that flying just knocks me right out.

Pls no mention of sushi :)

It's a personal decision and if pregnancy is going well, I'd would fly. The only time I traveled by plane when I was pregnant with ds was when I was about 8-10 weeks along. I don't remember exactly. But I flew from Illinois to Maryland. It was roughly a 2-3 hour flight. Went back to Baltimore for family reunion and to tell my grandmother I was expecting. Anyway, I just made sure I was on an outside seat (easier to stretch out, as well as if I need to use restroom, it was easier for me to get up and down).

As for you and a longer flight, just make sure you get up every hour or so, that way you don't get stiff. Request a aisle seat if you can. Even if you sleep through it all, you should be fine, just remember to just enjoy your vacation :)

I did four hours to tenerife and back early pregnancy and all good here. I say go for it!

I did four hours to tenerife and back early pregnancy and all good here. I say go for it!

Oh I loved Tenerife! I just got a little sad as after this trip (if I go), I won't be traveling for a LOOOOOOONNNNNG while

I flew at 11 weeks with my older son, 2/3 hours to Geneva and at 22 weeks with my younger son to Rome, 3/4 hours. We took a one hour flight to Birmingham on Saturday (I am currently around 5 weeks) and have a flight booked to Istanbul at the end of July.

Good luck
xxx

I say go for it! They say the second trimester is the best time to travel, since your morning sickness should be over, but you're not big as a house yet. Plus, once you give birth, it will be much more difficult to travel.

I know some people might be concerned about blood clots, but on a six hour flight, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're worried, you can try compression socks, which is supposed to reduce the risk.

Also, maybe get an aisle seat so you can get up and walk around without waking people up.

Have fun on your trip!!!!

With my first pregnancy I did one very long distance flight. Went from the middle east to Vancouver Canada. I was about 22 weeks along and the flight to London was fine, it was from London to Vancouver where my back was really starting to ache near the end of the flight. This could have been the flight itself, my inability to sleep when I travel or the uncomfortable seats. I did try to walk around the cabin as much as possible during the flight and asked for extra pillows. I love to travel, but for me in this pregnancy, i would choose a shorter flight.

I second the aisle seat :) and you might find that with a growing baby squishing your bladder you might not sleep quite as soundly as usual even on a night flight.

I'm flying from Ireland to New Zealand in 2 weeks, one 13+ hour flight, one 7+ hour flight and 2 shorter ones.....and then doing the same journey back again 5 weeks later!

It can be done, enjoy and have a wonderful holiday :)

I flew to Greece really early on in last pregnancy and this time I'm planning a holiday at 20 weeks or so. Go for it! Xx

Hi ladies, I see that my previous thread has been closed as the conversation got a little off topic. I appreciate the feedback, but would like to hear more about those who have travelled during their pregnancy on flights longer than 6 hours. I travel 2-3 times a year (travel is my passion, I have travelled to 17 countries and am hoping to hit 50 within my lifetime) I plan on flying to Poland at the beginning of my 2nd trimester and it will be an over night flight. Chances are I will sleep through most of it so I may not get the chance to walk around a lot to keep the circulation flowing. I will definitely do my best to wake up and stretch out and stroll, but I always find that flying just knocks me right out.

Pls no mention of sushi :)

Yeah that thread got out of control! Anyhoo....I'm a flight attendant for a major US airline (one of the biggies) and fly all over the world. You will be FINE!!!! As long as your doctor gives you the okay, you'll be fine. My best friend flew from NYC to Cambodia with me a few years ago at 7 months!!! (30 hrs total in one way travel!!!) we climb ancient ruins, etc and she was fine, baby is fine.

MANY of my flight attendant friends in the past few years have flown for the first few months, up to 5 months. We're not allowed to work beyond that....because clearly what we do in the air is a bit different than being a passenger haha (pushing/pulling 250lb carts, etc). I say, go....enjoy....and take cute pictures that you can share with your little one later in life =)

****My BIGGEST advice though is to drink water like there's no tomorrow in the days leading up to the flight and make sure you maintain water intake during the flight. It helps to eliminate jet lag, sinus pressure, and promotes healthy circulation. You'll be peeing a lot, but trust me, you'll thank me later!

Many people don't realize that not being properly hydrated is one of the biggest causes for trouble with jet lag! It's amazing what proper hydration helps with. It will also keep you from feeling nauseous in the air =) And the earlier suggestion of compression socks or pantyhose was going to be my next suggestion. Your feet and legs will thank you for it!!!

Hi, i am travelling to spain/portugal in august at 13 weeks. We will most probably be flying from uk. But what in most worried about is the heat? We will be camping for a week and the temp could be about 40c compared to about 25c here. Is that gonna cause.me a prob. Obviously ill be drinking lots of water, keeping in the shade and keeping myself cool by swimming in the lake. But still....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->