Attitudes to BF in France?

SazzleR

Reaction score
We are heading to Disneyland Paris tomorrow for a 3 night break & I decided to do a little research via good ol' Google about French attitudes towards BF. I'm BF DS2 & he still feeds every 3 hours during the day, sometimes even less at the minute, so obviously I'm going to need to feed him multiple times a day while out at the parks. At home, I think nothing of NIP, but being abroad, I thought I'd just check there wouldn't be any issues.

I'm shocked!!! Apparently French BF rates are the lowest in Europe, breasts are seen as being solely for your lover & to quote a Guardian article 'Breastfeeding – particularly after two or three months – is regarded in France as something akin to drinking your own urine.' WHAAAAAT?!

I'm now worrying that I'll be turfed out of Disneyland for NIP or have to deal with angry exchanges :( Or I just face up to spending a lot of time inside the Baby Care Centre in the parks :( Not really what I want to do when I want to see DS1 experience everything.

Has anyone had any issues BF in France? Or Disneyland? Are there any French ladies out there who can tell me different to what I've read?

Hi

I'm french, and have bf my baby for 2 years. Though I live in the uk, I often visit my family. I was never shy of bf'ing in public.
I had comments from family members saying things like "this is going to bf until he's 6 years old'" but i didn't care.
Never had a bad look whatsoever in public. On the contrary , people are more curious (in a nice way) or envious in that not a lot of people there bf.

I really think the newspaper you quoted was totally wrong, never ever in french public opinion is breastfeeding seen like drinking your own urine! I dont know where they got that from!!!

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you enjoy your time there!

Thank you! You've helped to put my mind at ease :) I hope I ha the same experience as you do when you're back home.

Well, we've just returned. Due to the sun & heat, I did end up doing the vast majority of feeds in the designates baby care room. They are definitely not set up for BF. They had lovely wooden rocking chairs with high arms. Looked gorgeous but totally impractical to feed in! And after all the times I popped in to feed DS2, I only ever saw one other BF mother. So strange! Didn't get any rude stares or anything but a few intrigued looks in the baby rooms! I tell you something though, the French love babies! DS2 was cooed over wherever we went :) which he loved! :haha:

Glad it went well despite the rocking chair thing. Maybe a man was arranging the furniture! Haha!

Glad you had a good experience. I've bf'd in France with both of mine as my in laws live there. I fed in public and was definitely out of the ordinary. It is the only place where I had someone tut at me for feeding in a restaurant. They love babies though!

I live in France and I've never heard anything of that like, but then again I'm a bit of a hermit :haha: I always nursed my daughter in public if she needed it and will continue with my son too. Never had any weird looks except once, when DD was 4 weeks old in a park, one lady sneered at us. I shrugged it off.

I BF my daughter til she was 21 months and all the midwives at my hospital congratulated me on it but maybe that's their biased opinion as healthcare givers.

Maybe it all depends on the area, in Lyon most people are much too busy with their own lives to pay attention to that nursing Mum at a restaurant.

I've been on holiday to france with my 3 month old and had strange looks. One couple even moved tables! I didnt care though as my baby always comes first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->