Autism and potty training

claire_street

Reaction score
Hi if any one can give any tips or advice I'll be very grateful. My 3 year old daughter has a mild case of autism. It has started to become a real battle to get her dressed during the day and I thought it might be because she wanted to be treated as a big girl so now wears pull ups, however still having the getting dressed battle. But as she's three I do feel like she should atleast getting used to the potty/toilet but I'm not sure what to do?

Wish I could help but looking for answers here too! We're almost at 4 now and no joy :(

Have a look at the Promocon website, it's fantastic! There's leaflets and a helpline where you can speak to continence nurses who will give you great advice. My daughter has spina bifida and I potty trained her with their help xx

While my 3 yr 8mth old twin boys don't have autism, they have severe speech and communication delay. I started toilet training them two weeks ago. Michael, who's slightly better at communicating was able to tell us when he needed to go so I sat him on the toilet and he went. I gave him lots of praise and he began using the toilet regularly. Sean though, after a day, I knew he wasn't ready. While he was able to say when he was going, he didn't understand the concept of going to the toilet.

I would say wait until your daughter is able to say when she needs to go. Otherwise, if you are keen, sit her on the potty/toilet regularly and if she pees on it, praise her and make sure you know she's pleased. I know children with autism respond well with praise, so make sure you do this and she will probably want to go to the toilet all the time.

It took us until Mog was 3.5 and then she suddenly got it. Basically, we bought her princess pants and then completely cut out nappies apart from pull ups at night. Lots of accidents and then she started going on the potty, got her first reward sticker and high five and it seemed to take off from there. She was totally dry within a month. We tried the same thing a couple of times before, at 2.5 and 3 and gave up after a week though. She was just really ready the third time.

my LB decided he was ready last half term and was doing fabulously. something happened tho and suddenly put him off as he went from being so nearly there to back to square one.
were trying again this half term but hes really not into it at all.
its frustrating as i sometimes think my daughter will be out of nappies before he is. i know he can do it hes just choosing not to. hes been like this with many things for example he can use a knife and fork but chooses not to.

well keep trying but i think it may well end up with us having to force his hand a little :(

Start by taking her with you when you go to the loo and at bath times ask her if she wants to sit on the toilet.

Sometimes it really varies on the child, every child with autism is different and what might work for one child may not work for another. This is a good link i found today with different pointers

https://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/understanding-behaviour/toilet-training.aspx

Maybe your daughter doesn't like the way her clothes feel on her skin and that's why she gives you a hard time about getting dressed. Sometimes children with autism are over sensitive and the material (or if she's like my daughter, the tags) feels uncomfortable to them. Just something to consider.
As for potty training, I can't help with that. My daughter is almost 5 and still not potty trained. Not for lack of trying! She has autism & is nonverbal, and gives me no indication that she needs to go. The only way she will use the potty is if she is left naked and can just go in the bathroom and use it herself. If she has anything on (pull up, underwear, pants) she will just go in them. I thought maybe she couldn't get them off, but she won't go when I take her and help. I have yet to figure that one out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->