Autism debate

I think autism can be horrible but I can hand on heart 100% say there is no doubt in my mind, I never have wished my son be any other way. I know I may be alone but I dont feel jealous of parents of NT kids at all. I know people have said to me that they implied I may feel angry that my child is this way, but I dont. Not at all!! I honestly wouldnt change who he is.

:hugs: girls.

Firstly I dont think it is right for anyone to speak for anyone to speak on behalf of all people who are autistic/have autism. Everyone is different and how they feel about their situation is personal.

I know that what MF writes above is true, because when my son was diagnosed with a social communication disorder, dsypraxia and ADD last year, she comforted me, she told me how it doesnt change who he is, when I cried because I was scared of what the future held for my son she was there and told me that everything will be okay. She of course was right.

My son is high functioning, but he struggles with basic things like holding a pencil, tying his shoe laces (he is eight btw), he picks at scabs and they never heal and when they do they leave scars from all the picking. All of this makes him different, and being different is tough as a child. Inviting eighteen friends to his party and having three turn up, was truly heart breaking :'( But having said that I wouldnt change him for a second, he is loving, kind, funny, and very clever - he adores learning about random things, for a while it was dinosaurs, then the great fire of London, at the moment it is Germany. He makes me smile, every single day. I do wish life was easier for him though, I hate that others hurt and judge him because of something he can not change, that is their problem I know but my Mummy instincts want to protect him and I cant.

I am pretty sure my four year old will be on the spectrum too, perhaps even more extreme.

Crying now, this is new for me really.

:hugs: girls.

Firstly I dont think it is right for anyone to speak for anyone to speak on behalf of all people who are autistic/have autism. Everyone is different and how they feel about their situation is personal.

I know that what MF writes above is true, because when my son was diagnosed with a social communication disorder, dsypraxia and ADD last year, she comforted me, she told me how it doesnt change who he is, when I cried because I was scared of what the future held for my son she was there and told me that everything will be okay. She of course was right.

My son is high functioning, but he struggles with basic things like holding a pencil, tying his shoe laces (he is eight btw), he picks at scabs and they never heal and when they do they leave scars from all the picking. All of this makes him different, and being different is tough as a child. Inviting eighteen friends to his party and having three turn up, was truly heart breaking :'( But having said that I wouldnt change him for a second, he is loving, kind, funny, and very clever - he adores learning about random things, for a while it was dinosaurs, then the great fire of London, at the moment it is Germany. He makes me smile, every single day. I do wish life was easier for him though, I hate that others hurt and judge him because of something he can not change, that is their problem I know but my Mummy instincts want to protect him and I cant.

I am pretty sure my four year old will be on the spectrum too, perhaps even more extreme.

Crying now, this is new for me really.

Oh crumbs, now I am crying again too lol thanks for writing such a beautiful thing!

As you know, I know my daughter is also on the spectrum too although not as obviously as Matthew. Her needs are far more social whereas he struggles with day to day life too!
He struggles with so much and whilst I would like to make that easier for him, I wouldnt change him. I dont feel like he is just disabled but general life disables him because his mind works differently to the neuro typical mind.

I have had so much time to think about his, infact its been my life since I knew in my heart he had autism when he was 18mths old.

I just think that its opened my eyes,Its made me see things differently. I dont feel jealous of other children and their familys at all as this is us now.

At the school play my son said one line, now for an 8 yr old all the other parents were like aw well done etc to their kids. Well for M saying a line was a MASSIVE achievement, I was soooooooo proud (not saying others were not lol) but for him to do that was amazing and its moments like that which make me realise how special these people really are.

I dont know what the future holds and the future scares me sometimes but I do feel blessed (even on a bad day when he lost his temper in the car park after falling in river!) I actually find that other people are the problem and not my son! I have learnt to block them out when in public and its much easier!

Tash remember I am STILL here and I have good and bad days about it too xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->