Autism or adhd?

dolly5x3

Reaction score
My son is 15 months. He has an assessment on the 10th to see if he might be autistic. The reason his doctor wanted to do this is because I've noticed he doesn't babble as much anymore. He used to say mama and dada a lot but more like mamamama, not actually saying the word. I still here him say dadada often but rarely hear him say mama. He hasn't completely stopped saying it but rarely does. I heard him say mama once last week. He doesn't say any words yet either other than babbling. I haven't practiced any words with him very much though so I'm hoping that's just my fault. Another thing she asked about was if he lets me know when he's hungry/thirsty by giving me his bottle or something like that which he doesn't yet either. He looks when I call his name but not everytime. Sometimes when he's too excited playing or into his cartoons he won't look. He does have a lot of energy and will kick till the minute he goes to sleep lol. He does give big smiles, like to cuddle sometimes, and make eye contact. He likes to play with his cars and seems like he's making cat noises when he pushes them around. I've read that some kids with asd don't like playing with other kids usually around their age. He loves playing with other kids his age or even older even if he doesn't know them. Does anyone else's little one sound the same? All I've been doing is worrying waiting for the appointment to come. I've read that it's sometimes difficult to diagnose autism apart from adhd especially because he's this young. I just want to know what's going on so I know what we have to do next :/

I personally think that is very very young to asses for asd particularly when he is doing quite well by the sounds of it. I Don't know any child who answers to their name every single time without fail. kids are easily distracted . my daughter is 5 and when shes watching tv or something i still need to say her name a couple times. even adults can be like that! my 12 month old is not a cuddly girl she wont be comforted when shes upset she will want picked up but if you try to cuddle her in she just wriggles. her older sister loved being cuddled to sleep etc when she was teething but my youngest is different. she wants to know your there and for you to pat her back no cuddling unless she decides lol. maybe its just me but i really wouldnt be concerned at this point x

He sounds like a happy, lovely little chap!

It might help to get him noticed now just in case anything can be spotted later on but please try not to worry, I do agree that it's too early to get any answers now - or even know if there is anything to spot. :flower:

Who is the assessment with? We have an appointment on the 12th with a paediatrician to see if imogen needs further assessment, she's a bit older though (23 months, but we've been waiting for a long time for this. I do think he might be a bit young to get a diagnosis, especially from the signs you've listed, they like to give them time to see if they catch up :)

I hope your assessment goes well :)

:wacko: this might not go down too well but I have noticed this as a case..if you are UK based then it's likely far too young and will be monitored. If you are In the USA they seem to diagnose children extremely young "some" later go on to develop quite fine.

My son was around same age when we started the process, he too lost all his speech but couldn't smile laugh interact or anything. He just used to rock and head but the wooden floor. Move forward to now he's picking up more speech and completely different. He has epilepsy and being assessed for a genetic condition as unusual white matter, he has a language disorder too and they are still watching him for ASD as he is still displaying a lot of signs.

I would go to each appointment and see how thngs go.

My son is asd/adhd he's now 6, around 12 months he started saying the usual baby stuff muma/dada...when he was 18months he stopped talking completely... he loved to play along side other children but not with them he went to see a paediatrician who said at this age they have no concern (it's likely you will be told this too) we went back when he was 2ish because he still wasn't speaking he was very hyper and on the go all the time and still wouldn't interact,I knew at this point he was not your average child.. he hated anything "social" I.e shopping, party's, parks ect again it got put down to being his age. When he turned 3 and was still non verbal they decided all his behaviour was down to him not talking and not being able to communicate through speech like other children but I knew it wasn't now Fast forward a few years after speech therapy ect and at 5/half they finally came to the conclusion he is asd/adhd....
Anyway the point I'm getting too is your LO is still very young it could be age however if you feel there is something not right keep pushing, it's a long process and such a roller coaster ride but only time will tell :) good luck xx

The assessment is with his pediatrician. Just to see if she thinks she should refer him to see someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->