Awaiting a educational designation

KateNicola

1 BooBear 1 Button
Reaction score
I am having a lot of difficulty dealing with the issues that my son is presenting at Kindergarten. He received a speech delay designation at age 2, but that has corrected itself. But behaviourally, he is regressing and getting worse. He has become THAT kid in the classroom. This is especially difficult for me, as I am also a teacher.
He was asked to stay home today, so they can put some supports in place. He loves school, to the point that he dislikes home time. He knows his alphabet, numbers and enjoys playing with friends. The issues are that he rarely does what the rest of the class is doing, throws tantrums (which involve smacking his head on the floor), running out of the classroom and pushing the teacher or LSW when they try to stop him. The smacking his head on the floor is a regression that we think is due to the change in schedule and some dethronement due to his younger sister, as he was pretty much 'cured' of this months ago. He has started headbutting his teacher, a habit that we thought was good and dead.
The reason I am sharing this here. is that we live in a small northern community, and though we have been here for a year and a bit, we have not made any really close connections with anyone. I like my co-workers, but I am anxious about the judgments that will arise. (I live very much in fear of what other people think of me) Parental units have tried to give advice, but sadly, none of them have had to deal with any of this themselves.
I do not like the feeling of "what hell is he going to put his teacher through today?" every time I drop him off. I dread when my phone rings during the school day, praying that it's not the school. I hate thinking that my child is broken.

Oh my... My 6(almost 7) year old is the SAME way, if not worse!! He is THAT kid in the classroom too. It started when he was in preschool and has just gotten worse the older he has gotten. He has very bad ADHD and a behavioral disorder called ODD(Oppositional defiant disorder). He was expelled from three preschools for being completely out of control. He was suspended from Kindergarten four times. He's now just starting out in 1st grade(three weeks in) and has been sent home twice already.

He flat out will not listen or follow directions, even very simple ones. He will throw things, stand on tables, kick, bite, push, he'll stick his tongue out at teachers. He screams, slaps himself, runs away from teachers and aides. They have had to evacuate the classroom before because of his actions. He doesn't do this ALL the time though. Some days are better than others, of course, or he wouldn't be allowed to attend school at all. We have tried EVERYTHING we can think of to help him. He sees a therapist and a counselor every week. He is on medication for the ADHD which does help him focus and sit still in the classroom... but doesn't help his defiant behavior AT ALL, of course. We have rewards and consequences in place at home and we are VERY consistent. Nothing traumatic has happened to him in his life that we can think of. He has so much support and love at home and at school... I honestly don't understand why he's like this.

I understand how completely devastating and frankly, embarrassing it all is. I know his behavior reflects on me as a parent. It's not like his dad and I are not doing EVERYTHING we can! It's so rough. :cry:

I don't have any advice for you but I wanted you to know you're not alone. I'm sorry you're going through this. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->