Babies and dogs

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
Hi! It's been a while since I was here but I've got babies on the brain again so here I am.

I've been wondering a fair bit about when we do eventually have a baby how our Jack Russell Terrier will react. I wouldn't say she's a typical Jack russell with tonnes of energy but sometimes she can be a bit overwhelming. Honestly, I'm a little terrified that once we do start to have a family she will be too much. I don't mean too much work, I mean, too enthusiastic or grumpy with the baby. I can't bare parting with her. Obviously she wouldn't ever be left alone with the baby. My mum says my dog will adapt well and be super careful like she was with their puppies earlier this year but I do still worry. I should add she gets on really well with my 2 year old nephew and lets him cuddle her no problem.

Have any of you, who are second or third time WTTers, had any dog/baby issues and how did you overcome them (if you did)? Also if any other ladies who are WTT#1 I'd love to hear your thoughts too!

Hi! It's been a while since I was here but I've got babies on the brain again so here I am.

I've been wondering a fair bit about when we do eventually have a baby how our Jack Russell Terrier will react. I wouldn't say she's a typical Jack russell with tonnes of energy but sometimes she can be a bit overwhelming. Honestly, I'm a little terrified that once we do start to have a family she will be too much. I don't mean too much work, I mean, too enthusiastic or grumpy with the baby. I can't bare parting with her. Obviously she wouldn't ever be left alone with the baby. My mum says my dog will adapt well and be super careful like she was with their puppies earlier this year but I do still worry. I should add she gets on really well with my 2 year old nephew and lets him cuddle her no problem.

Have any of you, who are second or third time WTTers, had any dog/baby issues and how did you overcome them (if you did)? Also if any other ladies who are WTT#1 I'd love to hear your thoughts too!

Hello

I had 9 month old Staffy when i gave birth to my daughter... She was (still is) my baby.. and I worried like mad thinking she would hate the baby... But she was brilliant, When I got home from hospital i got my mum to carry car seat and pop the car seat on the kitchen work top, while i made a fuss over Diva (the dog) once i did that, I got my mum to carry the baby, while i popped the car seat on floor to let the dog sniff... Then i sat on the floor holding the baby and let the dog sniff her...

They was best friends from that day on... My dog slept under the moses basket, ran to the baby when she cried, sat in bathroom while she got bathed..

5 years old and they are great together, the dog has put up with being a donkey, tail pulled, ears pulled...

Its normal to worry, but just make sure she still gets attention.. Also with your dog being around your nephew is great as she will be used to children.. xx

ps my daughter and dog together, Maizie was about 7 days old

Maizie Diva.jpg

I was worried about the same things when I was pregnant with lo, I have a collie cross and she's generally clumsy and excitable. I was really worried how she'd react as I'd treated her as my baby and then she'd have to take a back burner.

I changed how I was with her during pregnancy, like not letting her on the sofa and upstairs.

I was sure to introduce her to the baby as soon as I could and at an appropriate time, and honestly they're bestest friends. The pooch is so gentle with lo Even though she climbs all over her and pulls her ears; the dog just lets her get on with it!!

They also love to kiss each other!!

Xx

I think the issue some people have I'd they treat their dog as a baby until the baby's born, the dog gets jealous and that's when they have problems. If you start treating it like a dog now and make it realise its at the bottom of the pack you should have less issues

I have a ten year old golden retriever and he has been brilliant with Emilia, apart from the fact he isn't interested in her much lol! When she rolls over to him he turns his nose away or gets up and walks away, but if she grabs hold of him or he can't get out of her way for any reason he just lets her do whatever! He has also licked her hands on a couple of occassions (which she thought was very funny!) and he was really delicate and gentle.

I thought he might be more jealous and cantankerous with her as he's older and I've had him for so long being my only "baby" but he's fine. The only one issue is that sometimes if he's laid near her he will roll onto his back regardless of where she is and he's a big dog! But he doesn't do that on purpose and I never leave them alone together anyway.

Ooh and he never ever barks my dog, he will bark maybe once when he is out in the garden to let me know he wants to come back in, but when I take him on a walk with Emilia in the pram he barks at any other dogs that come by and he's never done that before.

Thanks for the reassurances, girls. Luckily she isn't completely babied and, despite me being home all day, she is more than happy to not have constant attention. Hopefully if, and when, a baby does join our family she will adapt nicely!

I have two dogs - a jack russell and black lab. Black lab is a nutter and very playful, as long as he doesnt get too excitable he will be fine - its the JR im gonna have to watch lol. I love her to bits and have to say she is my baby. So there could potentially be some jealousy issues there which i will have to work on and nip in the bud straight away. But not too worried!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->