babies cues and routines

cupcake

Mommy of a gorgeous boy!
Reaction score
how do you read your baby's cues and create a routine.
today my baby got up at 9, by 9:45 he was yawning, i tried to wait it out til he starts to cry a little and i know hes really tired, that was about 10:30.
i then nursed him a little, first i tried the paci/dummy but it didnt get him to sleep. then i lay down with him on the bed and he fell asleep and woke up at 1:15 so that 2.5 hours sleep which is amazing for him! he can go the whole day without a nap and im starting to think its because i dont read the cues he gives me well. if your baby starts yawning what do you do?
how many naps should he be taking now? i think one morning and one afternoon would be good?
should i be trying to create a routine? he usually goes to bed for the night around 9. when i say for the night i mean hes very tired and only wakes to feed and goes back to sleep again. i know routine is very important but i dont really know how to create it.

help!

I'd like to know too.. Good question.

I wish Kaida would nap less in the day and settle for the night at 9pm. I'm getting her to bed with a fight at 1.30/2am and she's up once about 3-4 hours later, takes her an hour to feed and extra time to settle..then she's up again and alert by 7.30am.. Then naps numerous times for 20mins-an hr during the day. Everything is a battle with her..constant crying - she has Colic.

My boy still naps a lot during the day and sleep from 8pm to 9am (not continuously,he has sleepy feeds inbetween).I dont keep him awake for longer than 1hr30 at a time at this age as they tend to get overstimulated easily.

My boy still naps a lot during the day and sleep from 8pm to 9am (not continuously,he has sleepy feeds inbetween).I dont keep him awake for longer than 1hr30 at a time at this age as they tend to get overstimulated easily.

Same here, Bren can go up to 2 hours of being awake, but most of the time not.

how do you read your baby's cues and create a routine.
today my baby got up at 9, by 9:45 he was yawning, i tried to wait it out til he starts to cry a little and i know hes really tired, that was about 10:30.
i then nursed him a little, first i tried the paci/dummy but it didnt get him to sleep. then i lay down with him on the bed and he fell asleep and woke up at 1:15 so that 2.5 hours sleep which is amazing for him! he can go the whole day without a nap and im starting to think its because i dont read the cues he gives me well. if your baby starts yawning what do you do?
how many naps should he be taking now? i think one morning and one afternoon would be good?
should i be trying to create a routine? he usually goes to bed for the night around 9. when i say for the night i mean hes very tired and only wakes to feed and goes back to sleep again. i know routine is very important but i dont really know how to create it.

help!

Watch him carefully and listen for his different cries, sounds. With Ryan it used to be eh, eh, eh and that meant he was getting ready for bed.

Now it's a yawn and eyes being rubbed.

At that age, 3 naps of roughly an hour and a half to two hours each with bed time more towards about 7.30 or 8.00 pm is ideal.

Watch him for a couple of weeks, because he might fall into one on his own.

Colton was still sleeping all the time at that age.

Now he is awake for 2 hours between naps.. after about 2 hours he is ready for a nap.. usually starts rubbing his eyes/yawning. Although, even though he is doing that he doesn't want to go to sleep because he gets overactive; actually went 4 hours yesterday without a nap! When he gets tired I usually start cuddling and patting his back/rocking him. He will just try and make as much noise as he can to keep himself awake, however, if I try and play with him/feed him he will have none of that.

I was reading something last night that said, babies need to be in ed by about 7 or 8 or they get too tired and then can't go to sleep. Maybe try putting Kaida to sleep earlier, start bed time routine (eating, bath, massage, story, song, rocking) a little earlier and see what happens. I'm struggling with this now. I didn't think I was a "routine" person, but bringing a baby into my life, I'm really realizing I am and now that she's almost 3 months, I really want to start getting her into one. She's almost done with her "4th trimester."

With my boy his night routine is really good. He always has his last feed between 9:30 and 10pm and then wakes up at around 7am.

During the day however his naps differ. Sometimes he goes straight back to sleep after a morning feed and othertimes he is wide awake. If he goes back to sleep then its sleep, play, sleep and then feed again, it he is awake then its play, sleep, play and food. Works pretty well for us.

We like routine in our home too. :)

It's hard for very young babies to slip into a routine. Their bodies just aren't equipped to do it yet. By the end of that fourth trimester (;)) they are much more receptive to wake and sleep (and eat and poo) routines.

Things to keep in mind:

• Nighttime sleep should be 8-10 total hours.
  • Daytime sleep should be 4-8 total hours.
  • You want to shoot for 5-7 hour stretches of sleep at night.
  • Baby should be awake less than 90 total minutes at night.
  • And it should take baby 5-30 minutes to fall asleep again after waking.
  • A normal baby can wake up to three times a night
  • Early bedtime is best, and the whole bedtime routine should take less than an hour.
  • Babies who sleep with pacifiers have a less rate of SIDS and health professionals have encouraged night time use.
  • Sleep disruptions often occur during major milestones, growthspurts etc.

Now in our home, we start too late (around 8:30). Our start to finish routine often takes an hour and a half, and that puts her in bed at 10 or even later... :dohh:

It also takes her at least an hour after waking at night to fall asleep again. :dohh: But I surf the net while I nurse, and that's probably a very bad thing because of the light and stimulation.

She sleeps in 2, 4-5 hour increments at night, then has a couple of 2 hour naps in the day. Not quite enough sleep - but she's not really at an age where sleep patterns are solidified.

I hope that in the next 2 weeks I can drop the bed time an hour (9pm rather than 10) and make our routine a lot shorter. Then we'll try falling asleep on our own...

:cloud9:

:hug:

There are lots of tips at this website.

https://www.huggieshappybaby.com/in...k=true&_nc=633553322903837863&_nockcheck=true

Marlowe sleeps off and on throughout the day. We used to put her down at night around 10, then go to sleep at the same time in order to get the most sleep in between her feeds, but for the last couple of nights I've noticed she gets really ratty around 9, so we've started putting her down then. It does seem to work better, but now she's waking up twice at night instead of only once!

Caitlyn got into her own routine so I'm no help. Just wanted to say hope he has a routine soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->