• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby carrier for newborn

chezababy

New mummy to baby girl
Reaction score
I've just found out I'm expecting my 2nd lo. I'd like to get a carrier/wrap to avoid getting a double pushchair and for use when playing with my eldest etc. I never used one with my dd. The baby is due in December so I'll need to be able to keep lo warm and dry in the carrier (I'm in the UK). I'd like some advice about which carrier could be suitable. I don't want to spend over £100, it must be suitable for a newborn and I prefer the look of carriers as I don't like the idea of folds of fabric around the baby's face. I am a complete novice though so I'd be grateful for any advice. Ideas on how to keep lo warm and dry are also appreciated. Thank you

I bought two Boba wraps, they are good for newborn up to toddler holds! They were pretty cheap compared to the other brands too. Check them out, Im in Canada but they are made in Colorado, USA. :)

You could probably get a ring sling for less than that (I'm not positive how much things cost in the UK as opposed to the US). If you don't mind wrapping you should be able to make your own stretchy wrap with jersey fabric. I don't think you even have to hem it.

Also, if you check facebook there should be some groups that are specific to the UK where you can buy carriers used.

I prefer woven wraps for babies but since you said you may be uncomfortable with too much fabric, perhaps a ring sling would be good for you. Then you could move on to a ssc when the baby is bigger.

Storked, I have a Farrand Fuschia too :) I heart Pavo!!

I prefer woven wraps for babies but since you said you may be uncomfortable with too much fabric, perhaps a ring sling would be good for you. Then you could move on to a ssc when the baby is bigger.

Storked, I have a Farrand Fuschia too :) I heart Pavo!!

I used to have a mostly Didy stash but Pavo totally pushed them all out! Pavotee for life :haha:

I'd try to find your local sling library and go have a play with the different types. While you can't go wrong with a stretchy wrap some people don't get on with them and you could end up buying a few kinds before you get one you like. I like ring slings, just not with newborns so it really is personal choice. They can also give tips about safe positioning and the little tweeks that can make the difference between loving and hating a carrier.

Definitely join a local babywearing group and check out the sling library.

Stocked, I got to go to CLAW (a pavotee meet up) last weekend and meet Erin and J$. They were fabulous in real life.

Definitely join a local babywearing group and check out the sling library.

Stocked, I got to go to CLAW (a pavotee meet up) last weekend and meet Erin and J$. They were fabulous in real life.

Um, I AM SO JELLY.

No worries, you didn't have to explain CLAW to me- I'm in TPS and was following it :kiss:

I've looked at ring slings but opinion seems to be that with a newborn you need to support them still and the carrier needs to be hands free so I can push by dd in the pushchair. I was wondering how you would keep the baby warm and dry in a wrap like the boba? I'm looking at beco carriers as it's possible to get a cover for them but not sure how suitable they are for a newborn (I'm not expecting a low birth weight as my dd was 8.3lb).

I had a December baby in 2012. I started off with a stretchy wrap (Flo Wrap from Mamas and Papas- £40 or so), then moved on to an Ergo carrier at about five months.
2012/13 was a really harsh winter, loads of snow for ages, so keeping my newborn warm was important. I would dress her in her indoor clothes, pop her in the wrap, put my warm wool coat on, and zip it up around both of us. Add wooly hats for us both, and off we'd go! To keep her dry, I'd just use a large umbrella.

Thank you tattoo. Unfortunately I'll have a pushchair with me though so an umbrella won't be practical but if good to know it's possible to keep the baby warm.

I've looked at ring slings but opinion seems to be that with a newborn you need to support them still and the carrier needs to be hands free so I can push by dd in the pushchair. I was wondering how you would keep the baby warm and dry in a wrap like the boba? I'm looking at beco carriers as it's possible to get a cover for them but not sure how suitable they are for a newborn (I'm not expecting a low birth weight as my dd was 8.3lb).

I don't know where those opinions are coming from but ring slings are definitely hands free when worn properly. There are many great youtube tutorials on how to do so. I can link some if you'd like. I loved loved my ring sling for the newborn stage. You can use the extra tail to wrap around baby for another layer of warmth. Also, when they are that tiny a coat will usually fit over both of you. You could also wrap a couple blankets around and tuck into the edges of the rs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->