baby carrier

hira

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted some advise on how much weight of baby should be when using a baby carrier, he is now 6 lbs, was born premature at 34 weeks.
Any advice from mothers and their experiences appreicated.

you can use a long stretchy wrap from 5lbs upwards, like a moby or hoppediz wrap etc. these are perfect for prem babies because it snuggles them up in a womb-like position. :cloud9:

edited to add - why don't you go along to a sling meet (there are lots in london - look on https://www.slingmeet.co.uk/) so you can try out a few slings to find a perfect one for you and LO.

Erin (currently 5lb 9) is currently snuggled up in my Moby (I needed to get some house stuff done) making "I don't want to go to sleep but TIRED!!!!" noises. Have to be careful with her head position making sure her chin's clear of her neck - but I've been using it with her for the last week or two with no problems (it's also keeping her flat head side OFF the crib mattress for a bit which is the other reason I've got her in the wrap atm).

We were told by the girls neonatalist to only use the wrap style like a moby until they were 6 months or 10 lbs (They hit ten lbs long before 6 months~! :wacko: )

You can use a stretchy wrap from birth no matter what age or weight. Some neo natal units use them to help with kangaroo care. My LO loved the slepy wrap, now called the boba I think.

Ours lasted us till she was 4/5 months and about 13/14 lb when it started to sag a little and we swapped to a SSC and a woven wrap but I still wouldent use another carrier for a newborn.

We were told by the girls neonatalist to only use the wrap style like a moby until they were 6 months or 10 lbs (They hit ten lbs long before 6 months~! :wacko: )

The upper weight limit is around 30lbs for stretchy wraps so in theory you can use it with a toddler, it's just not as supportive as they get bigger.

many thanks for all your help and advice i will purchase moby wrap, much appreciated this forum is so useful.

Moby's have a stated weight range on their label of I think it's 8lb upwards - but since they have an entire section on their website with stories of them used with preemies I didn't pay that much heed to it (went along to a slingmeet to get people to check I was putting her in there properly before I started using it much though).

Mind you - with the amount of gas coming out of her backside tonight - should start expecting her to blow holes through the fabric!

I've been using a Moby for about 2 weeks since my son has been about 5ish pounds. As someone said its important (no matter what age) to make sure that the chin has plenty of space between the chest, and I also tuck a rolled up blanket in the side that his head is in (like near my shoulder) so his head can rest against that for extra support while still not resting anywhere near his chest.

Also I'm looking into getting a Wrapsody/Gypsymama gauze wrap that's more lightweight for the hot summer compared to the Moby.

oh no, we still use our Moby- and my girls are 25 lbs each! (I only carry one at once!) They just meant not to use any sling style carriers or even traditional front pouches until they were 6 months or 10 lbs due to the compression on their diaphragm and difficulty breathing in those style carriers-
Sorry for the miscommunication! By all means, use that Moby as long as you can! I have it out today in fact because one of my babas is sick and "down" is a four letter word :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->