Baby diagnosed with Unilateral Renal Agenesis :(

xxLeighxx

mummy to Aaliyah & Seth
Reaction score
Hi ladies, i had my 20 week scan on 1/3/13 and the sonographer referred me to fetal medicine as she wasnt sure if she found babys right kidney, i had my scan with a consultant yesterday 8/4/13 and baby has no right kidney! Im absolutely gutted, everyone keeps telling me that it's okay and making out like its not a bad thing, to me its heartbreaking and worrying! Is anyone else going through this? And am i over reacting? Xx

Sorry no advice just wanted to give hugs :hugs:
Xx

I just feel like everyones like 'well they have another one so its fine' I understand that providing the remaining kidney is healthy then baby should have a normal life, except no contact sports, but to me its massive! My baby has a whole organ missing :( my DD has special needs and always has hospital appts, and now i just feel like this one will have hospital appts all its life! Dont get me wrong, im so blessed to have 2 children but you just want them to be perfectly healthy xx

Sorry I've no experience or advice but I just wanted to give you a hug after reading this. Xx

I think my grandmother was born with only one kidney. Either that or one of her siblings. Anyway, she lived a healthy, normal life to the age of 79 or so, and I believe both of her siblings are still living. She was the oldest. I know it seems scary but it doesn't necessarily mean that it will affect your baby's quality of life! I hope the doctors can reassure you.

I have a family member with only one kidney. He's fine and perfectly healthy, thought he does have to watch his blood pressure. It's pretty common - according to wikipedia, "the odds of a person being born with this condition are roughly 1 in 750." I'm sure the sonographer looked for other things on ultrasound, and if this is the only blip, it really should be fine! Good luck. :thumbup:

My sisters friend only has one kidney and yes I'm afraid he did have lots of tests and appointments as a child but now you'd never know he's a youth coach with our local football team and one of the healthiest people I know, he's physically fit and always active. I'm sure your little baby will be fine but I can't believe the doctors didn't give you more advice or information, can you make an appointment with your midwife to talk it through properly? x x

I think the reason they didnt tell me much as i didnt ask much, OH couldnt get out of work so i was by myself and i think i was in shock! I have an another one at the end of april and mw tuesday so will ask then, i did ask my doc when i had to go for a uti and he was really helpful! Its just another worry as we all worry tonnes already about our babies! Thanks for all the lovely, reassuring comments :) xx

Of COURSE you are worried-- that's what Mommies do! The very good thing is as your doctor said, we have way more kidney than we actually need (which is why living people are able to donate them). Your LO just won't have as much backup kidney as the rest of us but can still live a long and healthy life. *hugs*

i was born with one kidney. i only found out about it when i was 15 years old due to an unrelated ultrasound.

this has not affected my life. i am a healthy person, have a daughter and another kid on the way.

what happened was my right kidney actually grew and became the size of two kidneys to accomodate the lack of the left one.

your LO will be fine, this is not that uncommon. try not to worry hun

Aw thanks hun, thats really reassuring! I understand it wont affect its life as long as its left kidney is working adequately, but its like one of those things that you would rather not know about cuz you will worry so much more, when actually there is probably no need as nothing will ever be wrong! I have a scan in 2 weeks so hopefully will know more then xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->