Baby drop / Lightening

junbait

Reaction score
This might sound silly, but those who have experienced lightening, do you know if your baby dropped first and then the cervix began to descend or did your cervix start descending first and then baby dropped for you?

Ive had lightening crotch for weeks , only really noticedca drop in bump today.

I think my previous babies i dropped then pain started they were both late still lol

I've also had lightening crotch for ages I don't think baby is properly engaged yet
It's a bloomin nuisance when walking the dog!

I've had lightening crotch now for a few weeks. He hasn't dropped yet (at least not noticeable, I still have hb bad, and appetite is almost non existent, but I feel like I got to pee like every 30 minutes or so).

I'm 3cm dilated and 80% effaced as of my appointment this past Monday.

This is also my second child, and I've read that there is a chance he may not drop until right before I go into labor. :shrug: With my first, he noticeably dropped at about 34 weeks, I didn't have him until 41 weeks induced, but I was 1cm dilated at my 36 week check up.

What is lightening crotch? Lol

lightening crotch is pain in the cervix, can cause dilation/effacement but not always.

I don't think anyone as actually answered the question and I'm curious to know.
it seems as if original poster meant "did you notice when your cervix moved lower/down toward front? Was it before or after baby 'dropped'?"

My cervix has been lower down since 32 weeks. Reachable with fingers. (OH actually noticed this, I was alerted with a sudden "WTF IS THAT IN THERE?!?". Needless to say, his hands haven't been near since!)

Baby hasn't 'dropped' as such yet, although I'm not sure if that's because she's long like her big brother was. I had an internal at 34 weeks, and they could feel her head right behind my cervix, although she was still floating then. Her bum is still high up enough to make me nauseous and breathing is still difficult, but again if she takes after her brother this could just be length. I do have lightening crotch though, and feel the pressure of her head right between my legs.

ETA: I've also been dilating since 34 weeks. I was 1.5cm ish then, and I'm now 3cm. Progress, but nothing remarkable. Cervix has been consistently low down (fingers reach), facing forward and slightly spongy since OH noticed it.
I don't mess with my cervix as such, I haven't checked my own dilation, but I do have a quick feel every now and again to see if it's still in reach or if it's moved/changed. I can also feel what I presume is babies head behind the cervix, the wall of my vagina is very hard.

lightening crotch is pain in the cervix, can cause dilation/effacement but not always.

it seems as if original poster meant "did you notice when your cervix moved lower/down toward front? Was it before or after baby 'dropped'?"

:shrug: I thought I answered, but maybe I misunderstood the question, or because this is my second pregnancy?

In uk they dont check for dilation so knowing how your cervix is is bit impossible.
Im having my third have never felt the changes in my cervix the way the poster has asked. Ive only ever felt pain(s)

Thanks for all the replies ladies. So it does look like the cervix could start descending long before baby decides to drop into place. Reason I was asking was because two weeks ago at my appointment, doc mentioned cervix was descending and she could feel the baby's head, however I have not see any changes in the way my bump looks.

Do you guys in the USA get your cervix checked every time?

Do you guys in the USA get your cervix checked every time?

My doc's office checks cervix every week starting at 36 weeks until delivery.

It probably varies depending on the practice I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->