Baby eating too much ?

1st_baby

Hey girls need your imput

My baby boy is now 6 weeks old , since the day hes been born hes been eating allot more then normal babies

I breast feed him on each breast for about 15 min then I supplement with formula (nestle good start ) Ive been doing both since birth due to his "peanut tongue " this way he gets what he needs

Now my mother in law has commented about him eating too much so does hubby? he will eat his 3 onz then 3 hours later he will eat more ..sometimes he goes about 2 hrs and is hungry again .. We tried to give him some oatmeal cereal but that upset his lil tummy so i said " no more" to hubby lol

I know older ppl did certain things with there kids but IM not ready to just go by there ways ..IM starting to feel a lil down as mabey im not doing something right ..hes eating too much? sometimes when we feed him he plays with the nipple either breast or bottle and as soon as we take it away he screams ..

He dose have some form of colic but its managble we now feed him with a playtex drop in bottle so that helpled ..so sorry this is long but im so lost and confused right now .

What is a peanut tongue? I don't know why you would need to feed him the extra formula. You'll body will produce enough milk that he will need. Also, 6 weeks is way too young to be feeding cereal. You should wait until at least 4 months for that.

Jack is now 8 weeks & drinks 5 oz every 2 hrs still - has fed every two hours since birth. He is on the hungry baby milk too. I agree with Holldoll in regards to the cereal/solids - that is what is recommended so that is what I am going to follow.

When Noah is feeling well, during the day he eats every 2-3 hours. So I dont think eatting every 3 hours is eatting to much

at 6 wks Oscar was having 5 oz every 3 hrs.

If thats what baby wants then that what he needs.

I have a sis in law who tells me i feed him too much. i tell her to piddle off. :grr:

Oscar is healthy and a good weight. He has what he wants. and he still feeds every 3 hrs, some babies just do.

I agree for the cereal that was hubbies idea since he met someone who said he did it for his 5 kids..everyone is different i guesse..but i wasent ready and neither was baby

I do want to breastfeed only but lil man takes forever on the breast I find I dont have the patience ..plus im more at ease knowing hes got a lil bit of formula in him just in case he dosent eat enough of mine ..

I can blame the hospital for making doubt myself as he had a penut tongue( ill explain after) they made me feel bad for not being able to breast feed so ive been doubting myself

Peanut tongue is something I learned in the hospital ..its when the baby cannot stick his tongue out far enough to get good suction , there for they get fussy and give up on sucking or just plain fall alseep ..

I do feel bad for giving him formula but at least i know hes eating and plus it will help the transition from me to formula

As long as his weight gain is ok and he seems healthy I wouldn't worry about how often he wants fed. When Sam started having occasional bottles at 4 weeks he would take 4 or 5 oz (and breastfeed every 2 or 3 hours). Some babies with peanut tongue (or tongue-tie...never heard it called that before) have trouble latching on to the breast, and therefore find it hard to feed but as you are breastfeeding as well as bottle feeding I'm guessing that isn't a problem - and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to exclusively breastfeed if you wanted to (they do get a lot faster at feeding as they get older so it won't always take that long).

Starting solids too early can trigger food allergies, so it's a good idea to wait longer to give him cereal. Sounds like you're little boy is feeding well though :D

How is his weight gain? x

His weight gain is doing pretty good he was 6 lbs 8 onz when he was born ..he about 9 lbs or so.. I will try to get him to breast feed only , today i started breastfeeding allot more and I give him 1 onz if hes still hungry so i know hes getting at least 3 from me which is the most important for now.

I'm sure he will take what he needs from you if you do build your supply up, and if you carry on supplementing with formula he should only take what he needs to fill him up - if it seems like he's feeding all the time it could just be a growth spurt. At least he's gaining weight well - if you're having him weighed and they seem happy with his weight gain I wouldn't worry x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->