Baby essentials

chickenchaser

trying to hatch her egg!!
Reaction score
I don't want loads of stuff that just sits there collecting dust and would much rather buy decent stuff that we will need. Soooooo tell me one thing I need to buy and why.

I can't think of just ONE thing to tell you that is essential because there are so many things that you will need for your LO. Here is my list of the bare minimum of things that I feel like I will need when my first arrives.

-car seat
-crib & mattress/bassinet/craddle (some place to sleep other than your bed)
-2 fitted crib sheets
-2 flat sheets (at the very least)
-several soft baby blankets
-3 receiving blankets
-Diapers
-diaper cream/powder
-Baby wipes
-Breast pump (if breastfeeding)
-A few freezable Bottles
-Baby bag or tote
-Soft hooded towels
-Baby shampoo and/or baby wash
-Soft wash cloths
-Clothes (numbers can vary depending on what you want)
-1-2 pairs of no scratch mittens
-5 onesies
-5 footie pjs
-2 jackets/sweaters
-a few bibs
-several tops and pants/leggings
-5 pairs of socks
-2 booties/shoes​
Other things that I am going to get that may not necessarily be essential include:

Gentle laundry detergent
baby dryer sheets
nail clippers
a waterproof portable changing pad
nasal aspirator

I hope this helps. :)

To add to the above if you are bfing and pumping, or using bottles at all you might want to invest in a steriliser to save having to do it in a pan.

Also for BFing my sis gave me a bf pillow which I used a lot.

I also found our swing to be brilliant in the early days as DD preferred to sleep sitting upright so I let her nap in it during the day (she was very mucusy as a baby).

We had a bouncy chair downstairs and a crib upstairs.. So if Isabella needed a nap she could nap in the bouncy chair.. Saved me from walking upstairs especially when my bits were so sore!

Scratch mitts - buy a LOT more than two pairs. Same with socks. Seriously, I swear the universe just eats them, they get lost so easily!

When buying for my first I went under the assumption that if you had two changes of clothes per day for a week without needing to do laundry, you were pretty much covered. So 14 vests (a mixture of long and short sleeved depending on the season when you're due) and 14 baby grows (easily changed and very comfy for baby in the early months) is ample.

Then obviously scratch mitts and socks, a couple of hats, some form of outerwear (again, season dependent), something to set the baby down in (swing or bouncy chair or Moses basket etc) when you're downstairs during the day, something for them to sleep in at night, then a decent amount of sheets and blankets (they get puked on, a LOT). We had a few shawls to wrap our daughter in during the day when we were holding her, but that's because she was born in December. Cotton wool pads (you get a lot more use out of each one and they don't break up like cotton wool balls) for nappy changes in the early days when they're too sensitive for baby wipes, baby bath and baby shampoo, sponges (we had a face one and a bum one). Lots of nappies...

Obviously there's more, including the big stuff like a pram or baby carrier and car seat etc, but I think I've probably rambled on enough :)

These are all great Thank you. Can anyone recommend brand or makes for thing they really liked?

Subbing! :) All my poor child has is a little ACDC t-shirt. :lol:

We have bought anything yet and wont until at east 25 weeks. Even put a shopping ban on family and friends. But doing our wish list is on full steam ahead XXX

Ooh forgot, Muslins. They are magic. You can use them for EVERYTHING. Mopping things up, cleaning faces, using underneath baby on a changing mat so the cold mat doesn't make them cry, laying them over the canopy of your buggy to keep the sun out of baby's eyes in the summer...

As far as brands go...don't underestimate supermarket brands. I was a pampers/ Huggies snob, as were a lot of my friends, until we tried Asda little Angels nappies, and we've never looked back. You also can't beat the supermarket clothes ranges for good value and decent durability. It's personal preference really, but in my case I didn't see the point in forking out twice the price for clothes from Next when they're out of them and in to the next size up in five minutes. Pretty Next and Gap etc clothes have their place when they get into the age brackets that last longer (2-3, 3-4 etc). Obviously if you're not on a tighter budget like we were, you might consider Next good value *shrugs*

Lamaze toys are brilliant - colourful, lots of different parts and noises etc, and between my group of 8 mummy friends I think we has every one ever made, lol.

Also can't beat a Jumperoo when they get a little older - there's a reason it's been SO popular for so long xx

-car seat
-crib & mattress/bassinet/craddle (some place to sleep other than your bed)
-7 fitted sheets as babies get really messy and you find it hard to squeeze in washing especially in the beginning.
-4 flat sheets (at the very least)
-4-several soft baby blankets- again laundry doesnt always get done alot in early days so having a bit more always helps u not get stressed out.
- 7 receiving blankets....there so versatile, you can use them to swaddle. cover..put baby on the floor ...use as burp rag..i loved these the best and just used them for so much...and there not expensive either...and great in the summer ...for something light to throw on baby at any age.
-Diapers....newborn and size one cause some babies grow out of the newborn size in a week where others it take a few weeks..no matter what they will be used..:)
-diaper cream/powder....with the powder never put it directly on baby as they can breath it in..always put it on ur hands then on the baby....store brand is fine..
-Baby wipes...again store brand is fine....i love the as there the softest sometimes..
-Breast pump (if breastfeeding)
-A few freezable Bottles, pacifiers even if you dont plan using it, baby may have anogther idea and you may need the break...babies sooth by sucking so..and i found it helps naturally when baby is gassy too...
-Baby bag or tote
-Soft hooded towels
-baby wash- i never used anything but the baby wash until my baby was one....the wash works as a shampoo too and has less in it...
-Soft wash cloths
-Clothes (numbers can vary depending on what you want)

onsies undershirts...count at least 7...again accidents..
also because the cord..get a few undershirts that are not one piece..
onsies that cover the whole body..there light and just right and very comfy for the baby....and easy to use...
i also use clothe white diapers as burp rags..i just buy a bundle of them...they work great..
also spit up bibs..there the tiny ones...helps keep an outfit clean if you put one one and want it to survive..
i also got a first friend...tiny cuddly toy that i put next to baby that is baby safe..

mhy list is the same as some but a bit different..

i learned after four kids..that storebrand is awsome :)

-4 pairs of no scratch mittens..u lose these alot
- 4 pair of sox..u lose them alot lol
-5 footie pjs
-2 jackets/sweaters
-several tops and pants/leggings

Gentle laundry detergent, all free and clear is fine no need to pay fortune for baby detergent..learned that the hard way..just make sure there is no perfume or color adding and u should be fine..any all clear detergent is ok.

small nail clippers
a waterproof portable changing pad
nasal aspirator
saline drops help baby with stuffy noses which they tend to get alot and its natural so it wont hurt no matter how much u use it.
gripe water..is natural and helps with settling baby and helps tons with gas and clolic
baby gas medication...its a must...sometimes it gets so painful so you may need to use it ...its natural as well..
and a baby pain reliever or fever reducer.....just incase....

i know my list is a bit like the other list...just adding my own things i found out in time...

good luck hunny...any questions dont hesitate to ask :)

We had ...
Cot & 2fitted sheets
Pram with carry cot & 2 fitted sheets
Sling (stretchy wrap initially)
6 vests
6 sleepsuits
2 cardis
2 soft outfits
Nappies - 1 big pack disposables & 15 washable
Wipes
15 Muslins (used to protect sheet under head & reduce washing)
Bouncy chair
Padded floor blanket/playmat
Changing pouch to put nappies etc in a normal bag.
Breast pump (but only coz it was on an amazing offer)

I did not buy bottles, milk, steriliser as I had no intention of using them and they are easily found in shops if needed)
I never used scratch mitts
Socks only after about. 3 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"