Baby Evan!

abigail_71

Reaction score
Ok so its taken ages for me to write this (baby born in October !) but here goes before I completely forget how things happened! Its long.....
https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h91/capturedbyALI/40_s2-1.jpg On my due date, 3 days before baby born

I was three days overdue and went in to see the consultant at 4.00pm who took a look at me and said I was already 3cm dilated. I hadn't felt any pain so was feeling quite happy about that! I went about my day feeling fine - tummy felt quite tight but otherwise all good.

At about 10.00pm I decided to write my birth plan (honestly you couldn't make this up) and whilst sitting on the living room floor discussing what to write with OH there was a popping sound and my waters had gone. OH rang the hospital who said wait it out and the midwife would call in the morning if they hadn't heard from me. I rang my mum to tell her and was saying how I felt totally fine, she started telling me about her new kitchen (bit random but all calm at this point) and I started to feel extremely NOT FINE. So got off the phone and started feeling unbelievably hot, coming over me in waves. I didn't know what to do with myself and was wandering from room to room taking all my clothes off, lying on the floor, then the bed, then back to the living room, not comfortable anywhere. OH put the fan on in the bathroom and then I started vomiting, this kept going along with the waves of unbelivable heat and pain until I had nothing left to throw up. OH was running around packing things and asking me if I wanted to put the TENS machine on. Mainly i couldn't speak for the pain so he put the machine on and rang the hospital (at 12.00 midnight)who asked on a scale of 1 - 10 how bad was it. I said it was an 8 (it was def a 10 but was trying to be brave! Had visions of getting there and being sent home again) and they said to come in. By now I was getting scared as it was my first baby I thought I can't cope with 15 odd hours of this much pain and worse to come. It was not like I imagined. The pain was continuous - no painfree breaks between contractions.

The journey to hospital was awful, I actually felt the urge to push but (and this probably sounds stupid) didn't know thats what the feeling was......I kept pushing the boost button on the TENs machine and honestly I know people say they are useless but I did find it just knocked the top off the pain. OH (bless him) talked the whole way and I really felt every turn of the road and every roundabout. We got there and walked up to maternity (with a few stops for especially painful contractions!) and the midwife showed us to a room and said she would be back shortly. I sat on the loo:blush: and was telling OH how bad I was feeling and the midwife came back to check me and I got on the bed and she had a look and she said 'Let me just have another check because I think you are 10cm dilated - well done hunny' Thank the Lord because really the pain was so intense, I couldn't imagine it getting worse. She said she couldn't believe I'd got so far on my own and asked if I was always such a cool customer (er, no!) There was something about the pain that actually made me pretty silent, I definately went into myself.

So we had to change rooms. I got up on the bed on all fours facing the wall (the only vaguely comfortable position, bum in the air, nice) and they gave me some gas and air, but it was a bit late for that so I only got three puffs and frankly it was pants anyway. OH was told to dig out a little outfit for baby and said afterwards he was a bit taken aback by that and really realised baby would soon be here. I was still pressing away on the TENS boost button like a demon and a trainee midwife was putting a drip needle into the back of my hand (and botched it at least twice, this was slightly irritating:rolleyes:)OH was then holding my hand and talking to me. At one point the midwife said I was resisting pushing and not to be afraid but honestly most of the time I was getting the contraction pain but no urge to push so in the end I just pushed with the pain (I did make a bit of noise then :haha: it does feel a bit like you might turn inside out)and 28 minutes later there he was Evan Terry, 7lb 7oz. OH was brave and cut the cord (otherwise he followed instructions and said no thank you when invited to look at the babys head crowning :haha:)

Unfortunately babys speedy arrival also meant a second degree tear but I hardly felt that or the stitches then I held my little man. It was a bit weird and surreal. It was 3 and a half hours from waters breaking to birth at 1.28am. They left us for a bit to hold Evan (who had no name at that point) and OH made a cup of tea and we ate Mars bars and rang the family. Then the midwife ran me a bath and I had a lovely soak before we all walked down to the maternity ward (completely empty) and tried to get some sleep with baby in the cot next to me and poor OH on the floor using my bag as a pillow. We took a while to get the hang of breastfeeding so had to stay in hospital for 4 days so there were some tears then, I thought we'd never get the hang of it, but all was well in the end. Heres our little man, named after my OH and my extremely wonderful late father. xxx
https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h91/capturedbyALI/040_1-1.jpg

and a few weeks later.....

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h91/capturedbyALI/babawithhat-1.jpg

Aww hes so cute congratulations, love the xmas outfit!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->