Baby fussing at the breast

redlemonade

Reaction score
Lately my 8 week old DD has been, occasionally, fussing in the middle, or towards the end of the feed. She would start squirming and pulling off but then immediately crying to latch back on only to pull off again. I read this as wind and most of the time I'm right, so I take her off, burp her and she will latch back on. Often, though, the fussiness starts again so I switch sides and that helps.

Sometimes, though, she fusses like this again on the other side and I thought maybe she just wanted to comfort suck and was frustrated that there was still milk coming out?

I have a great supply so I don't think it's that the milk has run out and she's still hungry.

I'm also concerned that she's had 3 green poops in the last week. I've heard that that can be caused by foremilk - hind milk imbalance. I mentioned this to my midwife who isn't concerned as DD is putting on plenty of weight and has, otherwise, normal nappies.

She does have reflux but it's under control at the moment - unless this is a new symptom? I should add that I feel like she's looking extra tired lately :( Maybe a trip to the doctor is in order? Or am I over reacting? (The midwife thought so)

Any ideas ladies?

Lately my 8 week old DD has been, occasionally, fussing towards the end of the feed. She would start squirming and pulling off but then immediately crying to latch back on only to pull off again. I read this as wind and most of the time I'm right, so I take her off, burp her and she will latch back on. Often, though, the fussiness starts again so I switch sides and that helps.

Sometimes, though, she fusses like this again on the other side and I thought maybe she just wanted to comfort suck and was frustrated that there was still milk coming out?

I have a great supply so I don't think it's that the milk has run out and she's still hungry.

I'm also concerned that she's had 3 green poops in the last week. I've heard that that can be caused by foremilk - hind milk imbalance. I mentioned this to my midwife who isn't concerned as DD is putting on plenty of weight and has, otherwise, normal nappies.

She does have reflux but it's under control at the moment - unless this is a new symptom? I should add that I feel like she's looking extra tired lately :( Maybe a trip to the doctor is in order? Or am I over reacting? (The midwife thought so)

Any ideas ladies?

This is exactly what DD1 used to do so we let her have her dummy when she did it. Can you test by letting her suck your finger?

Thanks pinkpolkadot! We've reluctantly tried a dummy in the past and she just spits it out. It has worked once or twice though. Maybe I'll try that again, thanks! Though I think it's the comfort of the boob she likes :wacko:

Loulou does the exact same thing! I do think it's comfort sucking because after she is done, she has lots of gas and it is obvious that she has eaten too much. I just wear her and go for a long walk or bounce on my birth ball and it seems to help. She also spit the dummy out :/

Loulou does the exact same thing! I do think it's comfort sucking because after she is done, she has lots of gas and it is obvious that she has eaten too much. I just wear her and go for a long walk or bounce on my birth ball and it seems to help. She also spit the dummy out :/

Oh I'm so glad it's not just me! Though I'm sorry Loulou does the same. Those greedy girlies eh? I actually suspect I have an oversupply because sometimes she coughs and splutters on the breast and right now I just expressed (I give her probiotics mixed with breastmilk at the moment because she was given antibiotics at birth) and I can get 30ml in about 5 mins. That seems like a lot, no?

Oh I'm so glad it's not just me! Though I'm sorry Loulou does the same. Those greedy girlies eh? I actually suspect I have an oversupply because sometimes she coughs and splutters on the breast and right now I just expressed (I give her probiotics mixed with breastmilk at the moment because she was given antibiotics at birth) and I can get 30ml in about 5 mins. That seems like a lot, no?

I have no clue if it's a lot or not, but I can get about 70 ml within 15 minutes just by hand expressing (such a fuss sterilizing the pump every time) and I was told that I am lucky. I don't know about Indi, but Loulou is definitely greedy and has zero patience. She goes from laughing to red-faced screaming within seconds! Talk about temperament... :dohh:

Does she thump your chest with her fist too?

Sorry, I don't have any advice but no surprises that we have this too. I'm too lazy to consider pumping, I didn't ever quite get round to buying a pump, a steriliser or bottles :blush:

I have no clue if it's a lot or not, but I can get about 70 ml within 15 minutes just by hand expressing (such a fuss sterilizing the pump every time) and I was told that I am lucky. I don't know about Indi, but Loulou is definitely greedy and has zero patience. She goes from laughing to red-faced screaming within seconds! Talk about temperament... :dohh:

Wow coco our girls are like twins! Our families always remark how Indi goes from laughing to screaming in seconds! There's some kind of weird connection there, given how they were born with hours of each other and how similar our pregnancies were. I wonder if they'd be friends if they ever met? :D

Wow 70ml hand expressing? You're my hero!

Does she thump your chest with her fist too?

Sorry, I don't have any advice but no surprises that we have this too. I'm too lazy to consider pumping, I didn't ever quite get round to buying a pump, a steriliser or bottles :blush:

Ha, YES, she's just been punching my boob 5 minutes ago! Now she's sleeping on the boob, dreaming and laughing. She's got a big goofy grin on her face :D

Damn I love breastfeeding! You'd never see this type of thing with formula :haha:

Seriously, you and coco are like sisters, we seem to always experience the same things. Totally have to get the LO's together ;)

I only pump for milk to mix with probiotic or slippery elm (for reflux); I wouldn't bother otherwise!

Wow coco our girls are like twins! Our families always remark how Indi goes from laughing to screaming in seconds! There's some kind of weird connection there, given how they were born with hours of each other and how similar our pregnancies were. I wonder if they'd be friends if they ever met? :D

I am sure there is some sort of cosmic connection going on :D Friends or not, they should sit there and play quietly together while their moms enjoy their coffee. Aaah, wouldn't that be nice?

Haha if I had to have bottles regularly, I wouldn't bother. But since Loulou was born she has taken a bottle 6-7 times, so less than once a week.

YOU are my breastfeeding hero, with all the challenges you and Indi had and you made it work!

As for what the pp mentioned about hitting with the fist, well, Loulou does that too and she also pulls my shirt/ necklace/ bra/ whatever is within reach. And in an angry way as well :shrug: Once I let her suck as much as she wants she is happy. For 5 seconds. Then she is mad again because of the gas :D At least this vicious circle takes place only in the evening.

haha now I saw that the "pp" I mentioned is Rachie :D Hi Rachie!

I am sure there is some sort of cosmic connection going on :D Friends or not, they should sit there and play quietly together while their moms enjoy their coffee. Aaah, wouldn't that be nice?

Haha if I had to have bottles regularly, I wouldn't bother. But since Loulou was born she has taken a bottle 6-7 times, so less than once a week.

YOU are my breastfeeding hero, with all the challenges you and Indi had and you made it work!

As for what the pp mentioned about hitting with the fist, well, Loulou does that too and she also pulls my shirt/ necklace/ bra/ whatever is within reach. And in an angry way as well :shrug: Once I let her suck as much as she wants she is happy. For 5 seconds. Then she is mad again because of the gas :D At least this vicious circle takes place only in the evening.

Ha, that would be great! I'd love a play date lol!

Yep Indi pulls at my clothes and I've had to stop wearing necklaces in case she chokes me lol! I'm like 'girl, why are you mad at me' :haha:

Yes, this is an evening routine for us too! We really should get them all together, it would be awesome to watch them interact together :D Which Country should we do first? :haha:

I still think red should have a medal for boob bravery!

Yes, this is an evening routine for us too! We really should get them all together, it would be awesome to watch them interact together :D Which Country should we do first? :haha:

I still think red should have a medal for boob bravery!

Haha, I'll happily host the first play date - coffee and brownies at mine :thumbup: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->