• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby girl killed by dog

I cannot bear anymore of these stories - each one breaks a bit of my heart.

Dogs are intelligent animals and a husky is bred to work. Being cooped up in terraced house is going to drive it round the bend. I read that they'd only had it a few months so throw into the mix that you have no idea about its history and sadly a poor defenceless baby ends up losing its life.

I am a big dog lover and have one myself. When we brought my baby home she struggled with the adjustment massively. It is a very difficult time for them and not all dogs immediately accept the new arrival as part of their "pack". People need to be more informed about how to safely introduce a new baby to a family pet.

I cannot bear anymore of these stories - each one breaks a bit of my heart.

Dogs are intelligent animals and a husky is bred to work. Being cooped up in terraced house is going to drive it round the bend. I read that they'd only had it a few months so throw into the mix that you have no idea about its history and sadly a poor defenceless baby ends up losing its life.

I am a big dog lover and have one myself. When we brought my baby home she struggled with the adjustment massively. It is a very difficult time for them and not all dogs immediately accept the new arrival as part of their "pack". People need to be more informed about how to safely introduce a new baby to a family pet.

Definitely agree. My dog was very wary, not aggressive, but for sure she was very overwhelmed by the baby for a good 2/3 weeks x

I have dogs myself. Always have done. But something needs to be done about it. You can't keep a Malamute in a house that size and not expect it to want to play or tp get bored.

Malamutes are known for their aggressiveness with small animals and their hunting instinct. It's very rare that you could keep it with something like a cat. Let alone a baby.

When are people going to stop with this 'It's not the dog that's bad, it's the owner'. With children you have to presume that every dog is bad. They're wild animals for christ sake. You can't completely rid a dog of their natural instinct. All you can do it gain control of it. And even then you can't guarantee that you can dominate it.

On the farm we had some of the best trained Collies and Springers, all workers. I could tap my thigh and all of them would drop themselves flat to the floor or a quick whistle and they'd be so close to my ankles I was falling over them. But if a rabbit ran infront of them, they'd chase it. Who wouldn't. And it would take them 30 seconds or so to come to their senses and listen my shouting. But for that 30 seconds they were working on instinct.

It doesn't matter how well you think you train a dog. And usually, it's the more dominant/stubborn ones like mastiffs and malamutes that people have little control over. They all have the ability to be aggressive. It's just how you manage it.

I have dogs myself. Always have done. But something needs to be done about it. You can't keep a Malamute in a house that size and not expect it to want to play or tp get bored.

Malamutes are known for their aggressiveness with small animals and their hunting instinct. It's very rare that you could keep it with something like a cat. Let alone a baby.

When are people going to stop with this 'It's not the dog that's bad, it's the owner'. With children you have to presume that every dog is bad. They're wild animals for christ sake. You can't completely rid a dog of their natural instinct. All you can do it gain control of it. And even then you can't guarantee that you can dominate it.

On the farm we had some of the best trained Collies and Springers, all workers. I could tap my thigh and all of them would drop themselves flat to the floor or a quick whistle and they'd be so close to my ankles I was falling over them. But if a rabbit ran infront of them, they'd chase it. Who wouldn't. And it would take them 30 seconds or so to come to their senses and listen my shouting. But for that 30 seconds they were working on instinct.

It doesn't matter how well you think you train a dog. And usually, it's the more dominant/stubborn ones like mastiffs and malamutes that people have little control over. They all have the ability to be aggressive. It's just how you manage it.

Hence "its not the breed, its the people".

As in, do research! Like previous posters have said, you don't have a huskey cooped up in a tiny house. :nope: All dogs have jobs, stuff they were bred to do and its our jobs as people to make sure that the dog's personality and job fit with the lifestyle you want.

It drives me nuts when people don't research first and get a beagle because of how cute they are and then get irritated when the dog doesn't stop baying. That's part of their breed! If you don't like that, then go for a dog that isn't bred to do that! :dohh:

Not meaning 'you' as in YOU, Abigailly. :flower: Using the general form of "you". :flower:

Hence "its not the breed, its the people".

As in, do research! Like previous posters have said, you don't have a huskey cooped up in a tiny house. :nope: All dogs have jobs, stuff they were bred to do and its our jobs as people to make sure that the dog's personality and job fit with the lifestyle you want.

It drives me nuts when people don't research first and get a beagle because of how cute they are and then get irritated when the dog doesn't stop baying. That's part of their breed! If you don't like that, then go for a dog that isn't bred to do that! :dohh:

Not meaning 'you' as in YOU, Abigailly. :flower: Using the general form of "you". :flower:

Manage perhaps wasn't the right word. I mean more 'deal with' it. By not leaving them in a room alone. Even not allowing the dog near the baby if you're not right there.

It is the breed, though. But it's not their fault. Malamutes are known for their love of small animals. And it doesn't matter how much control you have of the dog you can't dominate that out of them.

I'm not explaining it well. It is the breed that hurt that baby, and it's a a breed that will do it again. They are an incredibly aggressive breed, mainly with other small animals (which a baby looks like). That's part of their personality. It's what they are bred for. We can't breed an animal to be aggressive and then expect to keep them as pets with children. It's as part of them as their shedding is.

It doesn't matter how well you think you know your dog. Or how placid you think they are. Or how well you think you've trained them. They're still dogs and still have animal instincts.

Totally agree! That's where its up to us as people to know what type of life we're wanting (ie - family, no family etc) and then get a dog that's good with our lifestyle.

There's more than enough info on animals out there. Its easy to make an educated decision on what type you want. Of course, there are pitbulls and bully breeds out there that are amazing with kids. But would I personally take the chance? Probably not. :blush: Nothing against people who do mind you!

There are lots of snappy, biting shih tzu's out there. I'm incredibly lucky that Gizmo is not that way and will run if Claire is being too much of a kid around him. If he had shown signs of aggression? I would've re-homed him. It would've broken my heart but that was something I had to think about while pregnant. :shrug:

Claire is 5 and not once has he ever shown aggressiveness to her. Could that change? It might! The older he gets (he'll be turning 9 this year) the more crotchety he gets so its always something on our mind. That being said, she's never left alone with him.

I think it's currently too easy to get a dog, something needs to be done that somebody cannot just get hold of an animal which has the ability to seriously harm or kill someone, you can't rely on people doing the right thing and using common sense because that has proven itself as a failure. As someone that was attacked and nearly blinded by a dog as a little child it's one of the most traumatic things to experience and I'm still terrified of dogs till this day.

I do agree with pp that with certain types of dogs you are at more risk. Dogs have been bread with certain characteristics to do certain jobs. A border collie for example would get boared without stimulation as very bright. I worked at a dog rescue when i was a teenager and most dogs who came in were where people had not researched breed. I cant understand leaving a baby and a dog alone anyway. A dog could easily snap if a tale pulled or something out of pure instinct even if most gentle dog alive. I love dogs but if you have a dog you need to be responsible. They are not human, they are an animal. One reason we wont get a dog till lo is older is i want to do the training stage where my lo and lo on way understand. One of the things about having cats is if bothered they just stay out of the way. Its horrible how many stories there are about babies and toddlers paying price for peoples ignorence.

Disagree with the breed generalisation. You have to remember popularity too and for some reason loads of tw@ts seem to own these loving dogs. Staffords are not breed to harm humans at all. Not a chance. They are just so loving, easy going dogs that twats seem to own and abuse them and think its ok. I know lots of people have huskys too because " They look cool" So they get a dog without reading into it.

I read somewhere dog most likely to bite owner is a dachshund? I dont think they are too popular anyway but I bet most people would trust one more than a stafford. I think they should all be trusted the same!

When i generalise i mean some breeds have be bred to be good hunters, some as retrivers, some lap dogs etc. It does not mean they are bad dogs, just that certain things will be more likely to react instinctevely to certain things. I have known some lovely staffis and some i would not allow anywhere my child, just as with other breeds. I do think they get bad name as can be a status dog and irresponsible breeding, puppies been taken to early from mother etc.. Personally when we get a dog i want a cavalier king charles spaniels which are bred as lap dogs however of course they still need training and to be watched. I think its about a respect for your dog

Disagree with the breed generalisation. You have to remember popularity too and for some reason loads of tw@ts seem to own these loving dogs. Staffords are not breed to harm humans at all. Not a chance. They are just so loving, easy going dogs that twats seem to own and abuse them and think its ok. I know lots of people have huskys too because " They look cool" So they get a dog without reading into it.

I read somewhere dog most likely to bite owner is a dachshund? I dont think they are too popular anyway but I bet most people would trust one more than a stafford. I think they should all be trusted the same!

Staffies are a victim of bad press. Usually when it's a 'staffie attack', they're either not really staffies, they xd with American pit bulls or are pit bulls.

Staffies are wonderful dogs, they're incredibly easy to train and need very little training for the to be good dogs. They just naturally are. However they're plagued with a hereditary disease a bit like early onset dementia. About 1 in 4 have it and from the age of about 7 it can change their temperament entirely. They can become aggressive and withdrawn, mainly from confusion.

But people don't know this, and they stick a spiked collar on it and then are surprised when it starts to deteriorate.

I hate dog owners. Really hate most of them. This morning I was walking the dogs and a huge great Alsatian came bounding towards us. I couldn't tell what sex it was, so I shouted to the owner to call him off as my bitch is on heat. And he shouted back 'he's only wanting a sniff'. Not surprisingly the Alsatian was all over Purdy.

Here was me, being a responsible owner. Keeping her on her lead, walking her at 7am when it's fairly quiet. And that tool couldn't control his dog well enough to stop him from trying to impregnate mine :growlmad: I doubt he even knew enough to know what it mean. Tool.

oh thats sad. Ive had 7 Staffordshire bull terriers in my life all living over 13 and none ever gone aggressive. My 16yr bitch became even more loving just not wanting to leave my side. I believe idiots have them as dog of choice as so easy to train and be loyal.

Sad really. Hate most dog owners :(

So sad :(

I am a firm believer in it's the owners not the breed in most cases but then I think back. When I was younger my nan had a jack Russell this dog was the devil I swear you would only have to move your leg if it was under you and it would launch at you! I remember it sitting on my Nan's lap and she was stroking it and then out of no where it turned literally in seconds he snapped. Something wasn't right with this dog no one had treated him badly, he was respected loved and trained from a puppy

We had a staff growing up called Rex and we found him as a puppy well he found us really he was sitting on our doorstep as he had got out :( we found his owner and they basically just didn't want him and he was a tiny skinny puppy left in their garden when my dad asked his name they replied "dog" it makes me feel like crying thinking back even now :(. Anyway we named him Rex and he was the best friend anyone could ask for and was a bit of a local celeb in our area bless him and when he sadly died a few years ago it upset the whole street.

I love staffs I think they are given such a bad rep :(

My friend has a chihuahua that isn't good with kids at all. :nope: She gets so upset as she'll go down to the waterfront to walk her and kids just run up and start petting her because she's so small and looks like a puppy.

But her dog will nip and bite (they don't have kids and aren't planning on having any) and she's so afraid that one kid will just run up and her dog will nip then she may be forced to put down her dog.

I do think that kids need to be taught to not go up to strange dogs and just start petting them. I've lost track of how many times people do that to me with Gizmo. We've taught Claire to ask the owner if its okay to pet the dog. You never know which ones are good with kids and which ones aren't and you can't base it off the breed/look of the dog. :)

My friend has a chihuahua that isn't good with kids at all. :nope: She gets so upset as she'll go down to the waterfront to walk her and kids just run up and start petting her because she's so small and looks like a puppy.

But her dog will nip and bite (they don't have kids and aren't planning on having any) and she's so afraid that one kid will just run up and her dog will nip then she may be forced to put down her dog.

I do think that kids need to be taught to not go up to strange dogs and just start petting them. I've lost track of how many times people do that to me with Gizmo. We've taught Claire to ask the owner if its okay to pet the dog. You never know which ones are good with kids and which ones aren't and you can't base it off the breed/look of the dog. :)

we do the same. Lo has been taught never to talk to a strange dog. Either me or her daddy need to tell her its ok. She has learnt she is not to get in a dogs face and if she is allowed to stroke it needs to be gentle. Having cats has made her very gentle with animals and she treats them with respect

I have the most wonderful staffy, shes soft and gentle, shes so careful and gentle around the kids, shes absolutely wonderful (i'd never leave her alone with them though) but yeah, i look at my lovely staffy and get so angry at the way most of the breed are treated.

I think it's a mixture of lots of things, breeding certainly is a factor, there is no dismissing that certain dog breeds are more responsible for babies deaths than others, some dogs are known for being nippy too, but not killers.

It's the owners responsibility to research the dog before they get it, it depends on your circumstances, a small terraced house is not ideal for a big working dog for example.

The it's the owners responsibility to train and assess the dangers, each dog is unique so the parents need to decide what the risk factors are, obviously leaving a dog and child alone is no ideal.

Off topic though ... Is it usual to put a 6 day old upstairs when your downstairs? I've always kept the baby with me in it's Moses basket during the day? Seem bizarre to have a 6 day old up stairs with a dog. But perhaps I'm just over cautious?

I think it's a mixture of lots of things, breeding certainly is a factor, there is no dismissing that certain dog breeds are more responsible for babies deaths than others, some dogs are known for being nippy too, but not killers.

It's the owners responsibility to research the dog before they get it, it depends on your circumstances, a small terraced house is not ideal for a big working dog for example.

The it's the owners responsibility to train and assess the dangers, each dog is unique so the parents need to decide what the risk factors are, obviously leaving a dog and child alone is no ideal.

Off topic though ... Is it usual to put a 6 day old upstairs when your downstairs? I've always kept the baby with me in it's Moses basket during the day? Seem bizarre to have a 6 day old up stairs with a dog. But perhaps I'm just over cautious?
I'm not sure really, both of my newborns rarely left my sight. With Evelyn she did sleep in her room in the day but we were in a flat and i could see her from where i sat in the living room

Claire was with my 24/7 when she was a newborn. :flower: The only time she left my sight was when I would have a shower, and then she'd be with my husband.

The first time she was away from me at any time in the house was when she outgrew her bassinet and had to be moved to her own room. Man, I cried. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->