• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby girl killed by dog

We looked to buy a dog about a year ago and it was just after that teenage girl got killed by those staffies cos she had a meat pie, remember that? Well on dog sale sights about 80% of them were staffies for sale :nope: Made me really sad as many were only a year or two and were obviously been sold on out of fear.

Off topic though ... Is it usual to put a 6 day old upstairs when your downstairs? I've always kept the baby with me in it's Moses basket during the day? Seem bizarre to have a 6 day old up stairs with a dog. But perhaps I'm just over cautious?

I didn't leave my LO apart from to shower when he was that young but in fact I did leave him around my parents' dog when we stayed, never crossed my mind not to! I wouldn't leave him in say a moses basket where he could be accidentally knocked but I'd leave him on the floor knowing he'd be safe, and when he started walking they'd play alone together. The only time he's ever been hurt is when he tried to ride around on him and fell off. It might seem like an awfully irresponsible thing to do but it really never occurred to me not to. My intuition just said it was absolutely fine :shrug:

Off topic though ... Is it usual to put a 6 day old upstairs when your downstairs? I've always kept the baby with me in it's Moses basket during the day? Seem bizarre to have a 6 day old up stairs with a dog. But perhaps I'm just over cautious?

I didn't leave my LO apart from to shower when he was that young but in fact I did leave him around my parents' dog when we stayed, never crossed my mind not to! I wouldn't leave him in say a moses basket where he could be accidentally knocked but I'd leave him on the floor knowing he'd be safe, and when he started walking they'd play alone together. The only time he's ever been hurt is when he tried to ride around on him and fell off. It might seem like an awfully irresponsible thing to do but it really never occurred to me not to. My intuition just said it was absolutely fine :shrug:
But there is a bug difference between a 6 day old and a toddler!

Some idiots think small breed =less maintenance. So wrong and couldn't be more untrue.

Terrible :( the dogs aren't to blame though, yes they could turn on you unexpectedly but it's pet owners responsibility to risk assess and make sure they couldn't hurt someone! They should never be left alone with a child. Animals are unpredictable as are kids! My step dad has the loveliest Rottweiler you could ever imagine, I know he wouldn't hurt a fly but I wouldn't be silly enough to put it to the test with my son.

But there is a bug difference between a 6 day old and a toddler!

Not defending it hun, just saying I've been silly too! It's so easy to think there's no way, you know?

I just don't know how many more of these accidents will happen until people stop leaving children and babies alone with dogs! Regardless of training, breed or the fact they "would never hurt a fly", they are still animals.

I have two cats and we almost never leave them alone together - from when LO was first born, he was in the moses basket and always with us. The cats and LO have a mutual respect (if it is possible for a toddler to 'respect' the cats!), but now, we keep a closer on LO than the cats as he can get to them super fast and before they can react (e.g. run away).......

but a 6 day old? not alone at any time, let alone with a dog, cat or anything (even another child). It's so very sad what happened to that poor little baby...

hugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->