Baby is measuring behind but doctor still says I'm 11 weeks?

Kdear95

Reaction score
I've had 3 ultrasound done.
The first was at 6+6 and the baby was small.
The second at 8+6, again small baby.
The third was at 10+6.. But the measurements put me a day short of 10 weeks? Baby measured a little over an inch, but not an inch and a half.
But, I asked my doctor if things looked find, and if I could still consider the 11 week mark the legitimate mark, and he said yes, and we're keeping my due date.
Is this normal? Can the baby be behind and still make it?
We saw it jumping, waving, and kicking.. And the heartbeat was good.
I'm just worrying, I guess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 18
Baby's grow at different rates when your early so that maybe why baby seems small, your next scan may show growth to where u should be

Fx'd. No one has told me if my baby is large/small/on time. I see an ultrasound tech, and then they have to send the images up for someone to "interpret" and then my doc gets them and I don't hear anything until way later.

Hi! I wish I could help but I don't know anything about ultrasounds. I should probably read up on that.

Fx'd. No one has told me if my baby is large/small/on time. I see an ultrasound tech, and then they have to send the images up for someone to "interpret" and then my doc gets them and I don't hear anything until way later.
Kaiser does that when I go to the big hospital near my house. If I go to my small clinic near my mom's town and work (which is what I usually do), then my GYN does the ultrasound herself so we can sit and chat. If I go to the hospital, not only do I have to drink a ton and then parking is horrendous and then I have to walk super far and wait forever and feel like my bladder is going to burst... they have an ultrasound tech. I remember having my cyst and I had a million questions and she kept saying, "I'm so sorry, I'm not allowed to say anything about what I see. I just take the pictures and send them to your doctor. She will call you in a few days." So frustrating.

Your dates could be wrong, I got pushed back a full 10 days with my son! He arrived 5 days before that due date and he is so tall!

Due dates and sizing doesn't mean a whole lot, can also depend on your height and you OH's height!

If your dr is happy then that's a good sign!

Thank you, ladies!
I guess the exponential growth of is comforting.
We got pregnant on our first month preventing (we tried all summer and decided to take a break). We use the rhythm method, so I wouldn't be surprised if I O'd really late. At 14dpo my positive was extremely faint.
I'm just impatient to be in the second tri!

I know its hard this early on, but try not to get hung up on "due dates." A normal term pregnancy can be anywhere between 38-42 weeks which leaves a lot of variability. If your doctor is happy with the progress and growth and everything looks normal and healthy, trust them.

There's so much unnecessary anxiety around due dates when ultimately, whether a doctor sets it 5 days forward or 5 days back, your baby doesn't give a damn what's on your chart. They will come when they're ready! :)

How far behind was you measuring at your first 2 scans? It's very common for dates to be put back and usually the 12 week scan is the one that dates the pregnancy and give you an offical due date. For me baby measure 4 days behind at 7 weeks and 2 days behind at 10 weeks. At my scan yesterday baby measured perfect for dates.

With previous pregnancies my dates have always been put back.

If the scan is showing you a week behind then I would be inclined to go with the due date based on your scan x

Hi! I wish I could help but I don't know anything about ultrasounds. I should probably read up on that.

Kaiser does that when I go to the big hospital near my house. If I go to my small clinic near my mom's town and work (which is what I usually do), then my GYN does the ultrasound herself so we can sit and chat. If I go to the hospital, not only do I have to drink a ton and then parking is horrendous and then I have to walk super far and wait forever and feel like my bladder is going to burst... they have an ultrasound tech. I remember having my cyst and I had a million questions and she kept saying, "I'm so sorry, I'm not allowed to say anything about what I see. I just take the pictures and send them to your doctor. She will call you in a few days." So frustrating.

That's just how the medical clinic is here. I won't actually see an OB at all until we move back to the states in April.

Watch this:
https://youtu.be/SUXMfQ9nYrY

This OB explains that they only initially go by LMP, but then go with whatever the first scan is; the earlier the first scan the better because early on babies do not vary in size like they do later in pregnancy.

That's weird - normally is the ultrasound differs by more than 5 days, the EDD is changed. I'm surprised your doctor isn't changing your due date.

Like pps said, it really doesn't matter much as baby will come when it wants. BUT I would be concerned if it came down to scheduling a c-section or induction at the end of your pregnancy. Because the doctor has your due date recorded as a week earlier than it should be, you'll be considered overdue a week earlier than you should be, and would likely be pressured to induce earlier than normal, etc. I would definitely open up the discussion again.

This happened to me in my last pregnancy can't remember exact measurements now I stressed nearly through my whole pregnancy I was induced 3wks early due to baby been so small but turned out he was a perfect 6 pound 2 ounce baby

I wouldn't worry. You could just have a small baby. I so far to my knowledge I grow large babies. My daughter when we went to our 20 week scan I was 19w 5d she measured a week ahead. (We had two scans prior and the second one she was a little ahead). The dates where close to when I ovulated (was temping and opks). He thought I would be a week further but due to my ovulating day 21 with her 5 days where subtracted when we saw the scans. One would think a full week but again she is just a bigger girl. She was born 39w 6d at 9lbs 3 oz 22 inches.

This current baby he is measuring a good week ahead once more. (He's actually almost 2 weeks ahead). But my date wont change since I have the proof of ovulating and temping and there is no way I'd be further.

I also have a friend whom baby was always measuring on the small side. She gave birth to a healthy baby girl who is still on the small side. Might just be a petite baby you have but be completely healthy.

So at my first ultrasound on 9Dec I was measuring 5 days behind. The next ultrasound 18Dec I was measuring 1 more day behind. So they altered my dates. Then I just had another ultrasound on 20Jan and I was 3 days ahead. lol. It changes like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->