Baby measuring way ahead

srrhc

3 Boys
Reaction score
I am technically only 31-32 weeks pregnant. Ever since 20 weeks my baby has measured about 2 weeks ahead. At my last appointment he measured 5 weeks ahead so he is about 35 to 35 1/2 weeks. Does this also mean the babies lungs and other organs are measuring at 35 weeks or could they be more like 32 weeks? I didn't think about this question until after I left the doctor.

I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead with fundal height but had a growth scan at 34 weeks and everything is fine so could just be baby's position. I'd have thought organs etc measure to the week baby is supposed to be, but to be honest I'm really not entirely sure! It's a good question. Hopefully someone can offer a bit more insight x

Could be position, could be subjective measuring, could be extra fluid, or a combination of all of the above. Physiological developmental trajectory varies a little bit, but not much. Some babies may be a few days ahead or behind (this is why some 34 week births might need O2 while others might not) but they're pretty standard in general. Meaning, not, internal organs usually develop on track with gestational age, not fetal size.

When i have my scans they measure different parts of baby and each part gets a date. Her head is measuring 3 weeks ahead but her tummy is measuring only 2 weeks ahead...so no, I don't think everything measures exactly the same based on my experience. My OB has never said anything about her lungs, but I don't think size of baby would have anything much to do with lung development...just a guess tho cos I don't know for sure.

I have an ivf baby so I don't know if that changes anything but after 20 weeks I started measuring ahead too
At my 34 week appointment baby's head was at 39 weeks and the rest of the measurements 38 weeks - my doctor said his lungs were fully developed and if I did go into labour early baby would be fine
He's hoping I do give birth before 38 weeks to decrease the chance of a c sect because of baby's weight and measurements

Not everyone is the same though so make sure you ask him next time just incase

Thanks everyone. My doctor did do an ultrasound and measured the head abdomen and legs to get the measurement of 35 weeks. I kinda had the same feeling about internal organs developing more with what week pregnant I really am too. Then again we never know right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->