Baby not gaining, low milk supply

Ninagrrl

Reaction score
So I was doing fine with supply and latching problems were fixed so I was advised to not pump as much. I continued to pump in the morning and was mostly breast feeding. My daughter had gone from 7lb 13oz at birth to 8lbs 2oz at 3 weeks which was good but the last 2 weeks she has gone back down to just above her birth weight. We had a doctors appt after we go to bfing group today and I'm so afraid I'm losing my supply and I'm going to have to FF. I've fought so hard to bf that it would be devastating after all the sleepless nights, latching issues, and tears that I have put into this.

I've begun pumping again and I know it's a low supply but that means that she isn't upping my supply like she is supposed to. Any suggestions on why? She latches fine and I can feel her suck and hear her swallowing. She stays on for 15 to 20 mins with 10 good strong minutes and then I stimulate her for the last 5 to 10 mins. She also has been going 20 mins on, 40 off for 3 feeds in 3 hours and then goes 3 - 5 hours off before cluster feeding again. This is her natural rhythm if I just go by her. Right now we are back to pushing 3 oz in a bottle every 2 - 3 hours just to make sure she is getting volume and because obviously the pump is doing more for my supply then she is.

Any suggestions on why she isn't upping my supply? Could it be mild tongue tie and I'm just not aware of it. Just looking for suggestions so that I have an idea of what to talk to the lactation consultant when I go to group and her doctors appt later today.

Also, any suggestions on how to up my supply. I'm pumping every 2 hours right now during the day and every feed at night and also drinking mother's milk tea. Any foods I could be eating that help aid or other suggestions?

It does sound like poor milk transfer to me and that is causing the low supply. Could be posterior tongue tie, these are hard to spot but cause very severe problems. Latch may appear perfect as well. Xx

Remember that the pump is not a good indicator of how much milk you are producing. It only indicates how much milk you can pump. A baby is much better at emptying the breast fully than a pump is. Have you done a feeding with a lactation consultant to see how much she's actually getting? It's still pretty early on, but I hope you two get the hang of it!

Went to bfing group yesterday and she weighed 8lb 1oz so at least I know that bottle feeding her is working. We also weighed her after a feed and she is only getting 2oz combined both sides but I'm pumping 3oz so it is her latch/suckle. She is also a messy bottle feeder so it's a feeding problem not just a bfing problem. Got a referral to a physical therapist so we will try to figure out what is going on. Right now I am pumping and bottle feeding so I can be sure she's getting the full 3 oz just until her weight is back up and then I am going to offer breast first and then offer her 1 - 2 oz pumped in a bottle to top her off.

I'm so discouraged but really want to bf so I'm not going to give up until all roads have been travelled and then if I have to, I will pump and bottle feed until I dry up. At least then I will know I tried everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->