• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby nurses more during ovulation?

armywife11

Mom to Two
Reaction score
So this is my second cycle post baby and I noticed she wants to nurse more during ovulation than she does any other time. I have read you can have a supply dip at this time but I am not noticing anything, and she is latching on and pacing me more than actually nursing.

I wouldn't mind this at all but the hormone clashes that are happening are making me sick. I am dealing with it as I will not wean her fully yet and I can't bare watching her cry for milk, even though I know shes not hungry. She was only latching and nursing 3 times before this now shes up to 6 or 7 and refuses to sleep long at night. Its exactly the same reaction she had the first cycle.

Just has anyone else been through this? I am just looking for encouragement I guess or something.

you say you don't notice a drop in supply but you noticed she is feeding more to me that is you noticing that your supply is dropping during that time.
When I got my cycle back I noticed my LO would nurse lots more that was my first sign of my cycle and then it came. It was worse the first couple of cycles and since then I just notice that she does nurse more when my cycle come due and it lasts for a couple days and then she goes back to normal.
I did read that you can take a calcium/magnesium supplement to help with the drop. You can take every day or you can take it a week before your cycle is due and then a couple days into it and then stop.

Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement

Some women experience a drop in milk supply from ovulation (mid-cycle) until the first day or two of the next menstrual period. A woman’s blood calcium levels gradually decrease during this period of time, and for some women the drop in blood calcium causes a drop in milk supply. For women who have this problem, calcium/magnesium supplements may be helpful. This practice has also been reported to eliminate most uterine cramping and some premenstrual discomfort such as water retention.

The recommended calcium supplement dosage is between 500 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium and 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium (the higher dosage is generally more effective). Calcium dosages this high should not be taken alone, but as a calcium/magnesium (or calcium/magnesium/zinc) combination. Otherwise the calcium will not be adequately absorbed into your body.
https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/natural-treatments/

I get a drop in supply between ovulation and AF and LO defiantly nurses more then. For me the drop is pretty obvious and I take calcium magnesium supps from when I ovulate until day 2 of AF and it works wonders after a couple of days so would recommend it if yiu think you also have a supply drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->