Baby reflux and vomiting, what to do?

CordeliaJ

Reaction score
Our LO seems to have such bad reflux and is sick lots after every feed. He probably throws up at least an ounce, and he only has between 2-3 ounces per feed.

I have tried leaving him to lay there for 5-10 minutes after a feed, but that doesn't stop it, we've tried elevating his mattress slightly, but that doesn't help either. We have also tried keeping him upright for a good 10 minutes or so after feeding, but that also doesn't make a difference. It's not projectile vomit or anything, but it's still quite a bit which means he gets hungry again more quickly, plus at night time it takes at least an hour for him to go back down without choking, gagging or vomiting. He gets very upset about it as well so I imagine he probably has a tummy ache too.

On the rare occasions he is not sick (very few), it's because he's had a long sleep, is groggy, and feeds slowly and gently. Trust me when I say I have tried many times to recreate this, but he is a manic feeder and doesn't usually sleep for long periods of time, so it's just luck if I can get him to feed gently like that.

I rarely eat/drink dairy, so I don't think it's that. He is already quite a windy baby so I am already trying to avoid any foods that might upset his digestive system. I don't know what else I can do, has anyone else experienced this, and have you got any tips? :shrug:

(I have posted this in the baby club forum as well because I don't know if it's a bfing thing, or if this happens with formula fed babies also).

DD does this but she has GERD and I notice she does the vomiting more so when she hasn't had enough meds.

Is he getting too much foremilk? That could be a problem.. it's more watery and sugary and doesn't absorb as well as fatty hindmilk.

No he gets both foremilk & hindmilk because I express for his evening feeds. I was wondering if he has GERD actually, he has all the symptoms :S

Sometimes the only way you can tell is if meds help.. also DD's vomit smells very caustic if she hasnt had meds.

I took him to the hospital yesterday evening because he had been screaming all day long, and it was immediately after every feed. Plus he only fed for about 5 minutes at a time if that, and was screaming, but hungry about 15 minutes later.

They said that he does have a reflux issue, but that it's common because of his growing digestive system & will probably pass. They wouldn't give him any medication for it, because they said he's still gaining weight and well otherwise, so they didn't want to give him anything yet. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->