Baby rice?

Flower

Reaction score
Hey girls,

Wanted to start Jensen on some baby rice (am hoping it will help him sleep thro the night!?)

I've bought a packet of heinz pure baby rice - but it says on the packet not to put in the bottle.

Everyone who's recomended it has said they've put it in their baby's bottle - how should I feed it him - he's 4 months old btw.

Many thanks!

I put baby rice in my LOs fruit puree and feed from a spoon. I guess that should be done with the rice when mixed with milk too? - like porridge.
I prefer to offer baby the rice on spoon so he starts to get used to cutlery, moving food around his mouth and feeding himself. For me food should be from cutlery or eaten with our hands. The idea of drinking extra thick milk from a bottle is a bit odd to me - baby doesnt learn anything.

You shouldn't put rice in a babies bottle because it can cause a choking hazard. And unfortunately rice is not going to make your baby sleep through the night. Hannah's been eating rice/oatmeal in the evenings with a spoon since 3.5 months and has not slept through a night! :wacko: Some babies just don't sleep through unfortunately :(

I put it in her bottle, this has been recommended for babies with reflux.

I would start off with a teaspoon of it in the bottle, with a teaspoon in 4-5 oz you wont need a faster nipple or anything, it barely changes the consistency. Then start adding a teaspoon to 1 or 2 more daily bottles. This allows their body to adjust to something new.

After about a week you can start doing small bowls.

Does your baby get up to feed in the night??? I began giving the dummy first and it worked... If they are hungry the dummy wont suffice.

At 4 months they should be able to eat it off a spoon. Colton was eating off a spoon at 3mo.
And like Vickie said, I wouldn't give it just to get them to sleep through the night. Didn't make Colton sleep through.

Charlotte started on this at the weekend as she was nailing 8 ounces without flinching and gagging for more,
I'm giving her a teaspoon of rice (mixed with the milk) in a bowl and from a weaning spoon at lunchtimes till she gets used to it, shes taking to it fine,

Never saw the point in making her bottles thicker as she still gets her bottles as she needs fluids?

Like someone else said you should never put rice in their bottle...or anything other than formula/breastmilk...unless there is a medical reason such as reflux because it's a choking hazard. Solids, including cereal, in the first year are only meant to teach the to eat from a spoon and to expose them to new flavors, so that kind of defeats the purpose. Plus they really aren't supposed to have anything besides formula or breastmilk until 6mo. It's also been proven it does not help them sleep through th night

Helps Jasmine sleep better at night... thats all im gonna say ;)

If you are going to feed your baby cereal, mix it with formula and use a spoon. Thats the only way you are suppose to feed a baby, don't put it in the bottle. Also, a baby at 4 months old doesn't need cereal, it has no nutritional benifit to it and it won't make your baby sleep better through the night. Babies and toddlers rarely sleep through the night, thats just what kids do at that age.

Thats untrue, lots of babies and toddlers do sleep through the night ;)

Some do, but lots don't. People think that by a few months they just should and that isn't the case, it's completely normal for them not to. And cereal doesn't help it and even if it did I don't think it's a good enough reason to risk the health problems it can cause...as a kid and even into adulthood.

hmm thats strange then - as i've heard lots of people tell me how they fed their babies rice in the bottle.

Anyway, we fed Jensen some rice from a spoon yesterday - I think he enjoyed it! But we'll continue weening him as he is a hungary bubba!!

Thanks for all your advice x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->