baby seems to be weaning at nearly 16 months

Emily Roses M

Reaction score
I'm fighting back the tears tonight as my son has barely fed from me the last few days. He is nearly 16 months. He keeps pushing himself away and when he has fed it has literally been mins. He was having a good hour feed before bed. Just feel really sad. I was hoping i would have longer. Was hoping to make 18 months. I started my period after two years of being period free last wed and i wonder if it is connected. Dh keeps saying how well i have done and not to be so hard on myself. I guess I'm heartbroken as there is a high chance there will be no more babies for us. I have really enjoyed breastfeeding although i have had many hiccups along the way. Any words of wisdom please?! Tia xxxxx

My period always messes with my supply, so it could well be that. 16 months would be super early to wean. Could it be an issue with teeth? It sounds sudden, so I'd guess it's a nursing strike. If you do want to keep going, perhaps try a nice relaxing feed in the bath.

There's a couple of good links here and here.

Good luck!

I wouldn't call 16 months 'super early', its an accomplishment to have made it this far and its certainly much further than most. :) My LO self-weaned around 13 months and the time was right for her. I think its nice for it to end peacefully and tear-free, rather than trying to force it either way.

I wouldn't call 16 months 'super early', its an accomplishment to have made it this far and its certainly much further than most. :) My LO self-weaned around 13 months and the time was right for her. I think its nice for it to end peacefully and tear-free, rather than trying to force it either way.

Sorry, that was a clumsy way of putting it. What I mean is that it would be very early for a child to self wean. It is of course a lot longer than many people do. I was responding to the fact that the OP doesn't feel ready to wean, so I was hoping to reassure her that it was less likely to be a permanent thing, and more of a nursing strike. It wasn't intended as a judgement on people who prefer to wean at an earlier age :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->