Baby seems unhappy during meals

barbikins

Mom to DD (RIP) & DS
Reaction score
Hey Girls,

My boy's 8.5 months old and he often times is frustrated and doesn't wanna eat his food. Some feeds he gobbles it down and other times he fights me. But I mean he fights me more than he doesn't. I dread meal times with him :(
Anyone else? Please tell me this is a phase!!!

I would say don't make a big deal out of it. He really shouldn't be fighting you in the sense that you shouldn't be pushing it if he refuses. It's totally not a big deal if he eats anything or not. The important thing is to not to make it a stressful experience for him or else it will be more likely to become more than a phase. They do tend to go through a period of refusing foods somewhere between 8-12 months. It's very normal. The main thing on your part is just to make it not a big deal and keep meals relaxed. If you're dreading it, he is too, and that's a bad message to send about food. Make him whatever, if he eats it, great. If he refuses, that's fine too, clean up and offer him plenty of milk on demand between meals. If you aren't already moving to finger foods (you didn't say if you had done BLW or traditional), I'd also start heading to more finger foods or letting him feed himself with a spoon. Then there's nothing you need to do except sit and eat your own food (I'd recommend eating a meal or at least a snack with him at the same time if you can, even if it's just something small, and letting him also try your food if he's interested). My daughter went through a phase a 9 months when she pretty much didn't eat anything except yogurt and fruit for a month. She was sick and on antibiotics and had just started nursery, so it was a rough month for her, which I think explained why she wasn't interested in food. I offered her fruit and yogurt along with all the normal things I would normally offer her (we did BLW, so basically what we ate) and just let her do whatever she wanted. She refused most of it, but that was fine. Finally after a month, she one meal just ate half a small (like 5 inch diameter) broccoli and tomato quiche! And after that, she was back to eating normally again. So just relax and let him eat what he wants as long as it's all healthy and give him plenty of milk between meals too.

Hello - thanks for replying!
We are doing a combo of BLW and traditional. We started off with puree but he can eat regular foods as well. So I offer him anything safe that I have on hand so he can feed himself. Although he's not super keen on picking up foods and putting in the mouth but it's probably coz he's used to spoon feeding.

Question about BLW, did you cook food without salt so he could eat what you were having and then add salt into your meals? I'm worried about salt consumption and some meals you cant just add it in after the fact.

The other thing is, he often when fussy gets cranky the moment his bum hits his chair. It's just SO frustrating. But you're right, I have to not be stressed some way or another.

Hello - thanks for replying!
he often when fussy gets cranky the moment his bum hits his chair. It's just SO frustrating. But you're right, I have to not be stressed some way or another.

Sounds like he might already we linking food times with stress. Maybe try having him on your lap and sharing a plate of food for a while till he's happier about meals in general, then you could reintroduce his own chair.

I did alot of picnics with my LO at that age - maybe something to try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->