Baby shower dilemma...

mandie.b

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am wanting some honest advice about my current situation. I am 20 weeks pregnant with baby girl number 2, and I just can't help but feel sad that nobody has mentioned a baby shower. This may be 100% thanks to my raging prego hormones, but I'm just wanting to get my story out there, and get some advice about how I should proceed.

My back-story is this in a nutshell. I had a somewhat unstable and undesirrable childhood, and i was moved around, a lot, (about 1 to 2 different schools a year) so I was hard pressed to make new girlfriends let alone keep them, due to my nomadic lifestyle. I have siblings, but all are younger; (ie: highschool) I do not have coworkers, as I am self employed.

I know lots of you will think this is about the presents, but I promise you, its not. It is more about feeling loved by those around me and gathering all of the people I love to celebrate our new life! I have always tried my best to be the best and supportive friend as possible, attending every shower invite I get, bringing registry gifts along with aomething hinemade and usually a box of nice hand me downs from my first. I have given away most of my baby things to two of my friends who were needy in their pregnancies. I have offered to throw and have thrown so many parties and showers. I feel like U always put the most thought into my gifts and just have so much love to share, but can't help to feel sad that my pregnancy has gone virtually unnoticed.

My husband keeps telling me he will throw my shower, or to throw my own, but, I feel like that would be inappropriate, and honestly, I'd be embarassed to tell anyone I did it.

Please feel free to be candid, am I just being a baby? Should I take hubbys advice and throw a baby potluck?
Help! Lol.

i always thought that you were not suppossed to throw tour own shower. but i had a friend who threw a potluck shower for herself (invite said her husband was hosting) and she asked that people bring a book as the card and a gift. i heard alot of grumbling about how this is her third child and shouldnt be having a shower, but it went well for her.

if you think your friends would understand that this is more a celebration rather than you saying 'gimmie' then go for it.

I agree with Teresa. I actually come from a country where showers don't exist. But I live in the US now and, honetly, baby things being so expensive, I don't mind some hand-me downs.

However, for my shower (which I'm planning with one of my friends here) I don't wat to make it about presents. I want to have a nice time with people I like. We're going to create a fb page to have people rsvp and there I'll add my "registry" but I will make it very clear that I don't need new, never-used things. Any hand me downs will do. And if you don't want to bring a present, that's great too.

Maybe if you approach it like that, people won't mind your husband throwing you a shower. Also, it seems like you have a loving hubby and baby already, that's plenty of love =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->