• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby shower for #2?

MamaCakes

Reaction score
Wanted to get a general idea from everyone. We are currently ttc baby #2. Our DD is 8 yrs old, and I've heard with such a big age gap it's like having two first borns. Do people usually have baby showers for the second or even 3rd baby? We have practically nothing left from when she was a baby, but then again I want to do things differently with this baby, basically simplify. I won't be need a ton of things and could pretty much fine with out the shower but I know my mom and/or MIL will insist on getting things for the baby. Anyway, for those who have had a second baby, what did you do?

With such a huge age gap i think it would be fine. I had one for both kiddos and i did feel the second time was a bit odd as ds was still a year old. But it was a churchy joint group one.
This time i dont really want one but someone is offereing so i thought id get involved as i have a few onesies and textioe pens from orevious showers ive hosted so id love ppl to make onesies for me, plus hubby doesnt like me spending loads of money and im dying for an Ergo i thought i could ask everyone to bring me a donation tieards my Ergo (if its not too cheeky), i dont need clothes, i use cloth so dont need diapers...

With that big of an age gap I don't think anyone would really question it..

Now with me pregnant while my DD is only a year old, I still have like everything :haha: there might be a few things I'll need but thats it.

I see nothing wrong with it. My cousins both had baby showers and one is 8 months apart and the other is 3 years apart.

This can be a touchy subject. I personally think 1 shower is enough. I won't be having another shower and I usually won't attend second, third, etc showers, but I will send a gift when the baby is born. My husband's friend and his wife are currently a little ticked at us for not attending their second baby shower, which is fine with me - I sent a gift after the baby was born.
With that being said, 8 years is a huge gap and I can understand the need/want for another shower. My sister wants to throw a little gathering after this baby is born for people who want to come see the baby. Maybe you could do that if a second shower isn't exactly what you want.

I agree, 8 years is a big enough gap. My DS is 3 will be turning 4 two months after LO is born. I don't want a shower but i have recently attended 2 showers for #2.

The age difference between my son and this LO is almost 12 years, but I did not have a shower for this LO. But I also live 1000 miles from my family and most friends. My MIL said that her church group did a new Grandma shower for her and she has some stuff they gave her.

Ya my SIL just had a baby and her youngest before that is 13! So she definitely needed a shower hahaa. She had nothing!!! I think it would be a super nice gesture. Not even that...so much has changed in 8 years for you...it'd be nice to get some stuff that's "new"

My dd is 3 so I have ZERO plans for a second shower........hooowever....my sister messaged me the other day to say I'm invited to a lunch at her place on the 16th..to dress nice and bring my daughter! Hahahaha hmmmmmmmm...I most definitely not registering for anything because I just don't see a need for a second shower but....if my family wants to throw something I'm definitely grateful and it's very sweet they care so much. :)

I think it's fine. The "rules" are that if your kids are 5 or more years apart, and/or are different genders, then second showers are a go.

If you don't want to do a shower, you can do a sip-and-see after the baby is born. Some people will bring presents (like they do), but it's not so much pressure as a shower.

(For those of you keeping score at home, this is the 2340349th time I've mentioned them in various threads. I promise, there's no sip-and-see industrial complex slipping me money on the side)

I think it's a really good idea to have a second shower for such a big age gap. I know for a smaller age gap that many women have showers after the baby is born. That way everyone can come see the baby and maybe give a little gift. I guess that's what sojourn would call a "sip-and-see". I've never heard it called that, but its a great name!

I think it's a really good idea to have a second shower for such a big age gap. I know for a smaller age gap that many women have showers after the baby is born. That way everyone can come see the baby and maybe give a little gift. I guess that's what sojourn would call a "sip-and-see". I've never heard it called that, but its a great name!

That's about right. You (or, if you're lucky/smart, a close friend) provide a beverage and some light apps/hors d'oeuvres and everyone stands around imbibing beverages (here they are boozy, could be tea or coffee or something could work too) and cooing over the new baby.

I personally think it's a bit tacky to have a baby shower for a second, third, etc. child if they're close in age though I know the new thing is for people to have what are called "sprinkle parties" which are supposed to be smaller than a baby shower which doesn't really include the big ticket items but more so the necessities like diapers and wipes, clothes, blankets, etc. Or I've even seen it suggested that people bring things that would be helpful for the whole family like pre-made meals.

But with your age gap, I don't think it would be wrong to have a baby shower considering it's reasonable not to hold on to baby gear for 8 years.

That's about right. You (or, if you're lucky/smart, a close friend) provide a beverage and some light apps/hors d'oeuvres and everyone stands around imbibing beverages (here they are boozy, could be tea or coffee or something could work too) and cooing over the new baby.

Yes! My friend had one recently for her little boy (arranged by a close friend) and they made it a potluck so mom wouldn't have to go to the trouble of preparing or getting food!

I personally think it's a bit tacky to have a baby shower for a second, third, etc. child if they're close in age though I know the new thing is for people to have what are called "sprinkle parties" which are supposed to be smaller than a baby shower which doesn't really include the big ticket items but more so the necessities like diapers and wipes, clothes, blankets, etc. Or I've even seen it suggested that people bring things that would be helpful for the whole family like pre-made meals.

But with your age gap, I don't think it would be wrong to have a baby shower considering it's reasonable not to hold on to baby gear for 8 years.

I had another friend who just had her 3rd baby and we all gave pre-made meals for her to freeze and pull out after she had the baby. I think this makes it so much easier for mommy in the beginning when she's still getting used to having another little one to take care of.

Wanted to get a general idea from everyone. We are currently ttc baby #2. Our DD is 8 yrs old, and I've heard with such a big age gap it's like having two first borns. Do people usually have baby showers for the second or even 3rd baby? We have practically nothing left from when she was a baby, but then again I want to do things differently with this baby, basically simplify. I won't be need a ton of things and could pretty much fine with out the shower but I know my mom and/or MIL will insist on getting things for the baby. Anyway, for those who have had a second baby, what did you do?
I think you should.

I'm pregnant with number 2. My daughter will be 7.5 when the baby is born. The only think I have are family made baby blankets and a high chair that is trapped in storage.

I am buying the big stuff, some second hand. I registered yesterday for things that I need that I feel are practical and reasonable. Diapers, wipes, creams, toiletries,breast feeding supplies to go with pump. For the diapers I asked for 2 each of newborn and size one, 4 of size two, and 10 of size three. That should get us a year... They are the mega packs of like 180-200 diapers. The reason I registered for small things was because people don't like to guess and it helps me feel in control.

Good luck!

I dont see a problem with it as there is such an age gap. I have always been told if you have a 2nd with a close age gap then its tacky to have another age gap. I had a joint family baby showee with my sister for my first as we were due 6 weeks apart and never had one with my second as the kids were only 13 months apart. My youngest will be 3 when this one is born. I would never agree to another baby shower but this is my oh first child and him and his family want to have one. I told him I didnt want one but I dont want to sound ignorant and ungrateful

Thanks ladies, for all your input. Im still not sure what I would want to do, but its nice to see both sides of it. :thumbup:

There will be an 11 year age gap between my two, and I have nothing from my first baby, when he was about 5-6 I figured I wouldn't have anymore and gave my stuff to people who were expecting and had nothing. I have some friends wanting to throw me a shower, and I've agreed but asked them to let me register first cause now I know what I really need and what I won't need. The big items me and hubs are planning on getting before I register so I will just need the smaller items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->