Baby Shower for Baby #2?

gardenofedens

Mommy to Abigail&Aidan
Reaction score
My DD is 10.5 months old and I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant with Baby #2. My mom thinks we should have another baby shower (aka Baby Sprinkle) for family to celebrate the coming of the first grandson/great grandson. I'm okay either way really, but I don't want to offend family members who may think it's just a gathering to get gifts. We could say no gifts, but baby showers for second babies are only just starting to gain popularity so I'm not sure if I want to or not....?

We don't need anything gift-wise either so it really would be just a celebration of his impending birth. We bought all the big furniture ourselves already. If family really wanted to buy gifts, I assume it would be an outfit or some diapers or something but that would be on them. We'd ask them not to bring gifts.

Did you have a Baby Shower/Sprinkle? Or what are your thoughts?

My family has one for every baby, even if its the family members 4th baby. We do it usually after baby is born tho so everyone can meet the baby and gifts Arnt nessisary but people usually bring one ( they would have anyways usually when they come to meet baby) it's usually stuff like an outfit though

I think every baby deserves to be celebrated and if anyone is offended by it them they don't have to come :)

I feel uncomfortable making a registry for my first shower, and having the shower. But that said, it's not stopping me (well my sister) from throwing one! I think showers (especially for the first baby) are a must! As far as throwing one for the 2nd, 3rd or what ever, I also see nothing wrong with it! Will I do it when I have my second? I'm not sure to be honest. But I do know if I were to get invited to a shower right now (as a guest) for some ones second child, I wouldn't find it odd or greedy of the person. I agree with the PP, every baby should be celebrated :)

I do agree that every baby is special and should be celebrated, but I honestly don't know if I'd want a baby shower for the second baby, but that's just me personally. I already received a ton of stuff from the first baby shower, but I guess if the next one is a different gender, then I'm sure I'd be tempted...lol!!

I have gone to baby showers for subsequent pregnancies for friends and don't see anything wrong with it - to each his/her own. :flower:

My family does the same thing.. We have a shower for each new baby.

We usually buy outfits or nappies things mum and baby will need or couldn't be re used from the first baby..

I say go for it, It's fun and I'm sure everybody would love to share this special experience with you :)

I'll be having one simply because this is my first child in 9 years. lol We'd gotten rid of all our baby things.

Well... you could always claim it's not a "baby shower", just a celebration for expecting a new baby. And if you're worried about people thinking you're doing it for gifts - make a note saying they aren't expected.

My SIL had one for her second, but there's almost a 3 year gap between her two and she didn't have baby stuff when she'd gotten pregnant with her second.

I didn't want one with my second boy, but my best friend threw me a surprise "sprinkle" and my church threw me a diaper shower. It really is fun to celebrate each baby, and as long as there are not expectations to get a bunch of large gifts like with a first baby, it is nice to be able to get more diapers, wipes, a few new outfits even if #1 and #2 are same gender, and so on.

Honestly, I would really love a shower for my second! My first was a boy and my second is a girl so we don't have much for her... However I'm not asking anyone to give me one so if it happens, it happens. If not... Guess ill have to do a little more shopping

You're so lucky, I would have loved a shower or sprinkle as I never had one with family with my first, and we are having the opposite gender this time too, but no one ever offered :( no one ever even bothered to purchase anything or try and help out either, we've had to buy all his things and clothes ourselves. I'm honestly a bit hurt by it. I didn't even want one because I was selfish, I just wanted to spend time with family and friends, and celebrate my baby.

For me, a baby shower for #2 onwards is a no no. But I agree that every baby should be celebrated. I also think that every mama should be celebrated, especially when she is doing the important work of growing a human;)

Perhaps you could do something with family only. Or have a nappy/diaper shower instead of a full shower. And at then end of the day even if I think it is a faux pas, if you and your loved ones are comfortable with another shower, you should write your own rules!

We just did my baby shower this past Sunday. My son is only 16 months old right now. Since it was a different gender I felt more comfortable with the idea. We had a lot of things just in blue or boy themed with my son so people had fun buying a lot of pink cutesy stuff for my daughter. Next baby though will have more of a diaper party or something smaller, not quite as extravagant as this one since I will have things of both gender then. I say you get a big shower for each gender then do a smaller lunch/sprinkle/diaper party for subsequent kids.

I have talked about this with my friends before and we concluded that it is ok to have another baby shower for a different gender or multiples(as you would need double of what you already have), otherwise people would think it was rude except for the close family as they probably want a excuse to buy presents.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I don't like when someone has a baby shower after baby #1, especially if the ages of the child are close together. A co-worker of mine has a 1 year old and she had another baby shower for her second kiddo. I think it's great she's getting all these gifts, but a lot of the items on her registry were things you really don't need when you have a second child. Usually if you have a baby (OP - like you), you have a lot of things leftover, lots of toys, etc... I just don't think it's appropriate. I'm just old-fashioned, I suppose.. but that's how I feel.

Again, sorry if I offend.

It really depends. I don't see anything wrong with having a "shower" but if you already have things, I wouldn't ask for a bunch of gifts.

I didn't habe a shower with #1, so we're habing one with #2... but it's a No Gifts kind of thing. I was considering having grandparents who want to help donate to a "nice-breastpump-fund" (because I really want a good one, but they're so darned expensive).

Its a personal decision. Do what feels right for you.

I personally don't buy into baby showers full stop and I definitely wouldn't expect anything as a gift for my baby that was a necessity.

Having said that, I had a celebration gathering for my baby (and would have one for the second too, after the birth). Some people did bring presents, but there was no registry and I told people not to bring anything. The things people did give were just nice luxuries like cute clothes, toys, extra swaddles, etc.

OH and I bought all the essentials ourselves. Maybe it's a cultural thing but I would be really surprised if I was invited to a baby shower and there was a registry with things like cot mattresses, nappies or car seats on it.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I don't like when someone has a baby shower after baby #1, especially if the ages of the child are close together. A co-worker of mine has a 1 year old and she had another baby shower for her second kiddo. I think it's great she's getting all these gifts, but a lot of the items on her registry were things you really don't need when you have a second child. Usually if you have a baby (OP - like you), you have a lot of things leftover, lots of toys, etc... I just don't think it's appropriate. I'm just old-fashioned, I suppose.. but that's how I feel.

Again, sorry if I offend.

I didn't even have a registry with my first? I bought all the big stuff myself a and all I got at my shower was diapers and outfits that people would have probably gotten for him anyways. A registry to me is so foreign , I always thought it was the parents job to buy the big stuff and a baby shower was hat a party to show off baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->