baby signing??

louise1302

mum to FIVE boys :)
Reaction score
is anyone thinking about or even using baby signing..i use sign all the time working in a special needs school and regularly find myself signign at home when i talk..my older 3 picked up loads of words from me but they are aged 11 10 and 9

have just been reading about baby sign and although archie is a bot young at 2 months lol i was wondering what you think of it, it seems amazing to me that babies as young as 6 months can pick up and use sign

although did remind me of the film meet the fockers lol

am thinking of giving it a go with archie though

My friend is deaf and her son amazed me at how quickly he picked up signing etc so i want to try it with Ella. I also saw it at the Baby Show in London. here is the website: https://www.itvbabysign.com/

My mum took my sister too a baby signing class at Sure Start. And I was amazed at how quick babies pick it up.

I don't think they do those classes anymore, but I remember alot of the signs from my mum. So i'm definately teaching Lexie it.

There is a website on how to do the signs. So if I forget any, I can just have a quick peek. :lol:

My sure start childrens centre still does baby signing. I'm hoping to get on the next course thats in about a months time.

I want to do signing with Niamh because she has a cleft palate and will probably have speech problems and possible hearing problems.

I did it with Hayden..well still do. We didn't start until about 9-10mo though but within 2mo he was signing and has just kept picking up more since. He really relies on it but is starting to talk more now too. I've heard that usually they won't talk so much but around age 2 their vocab explodes and they are usually actually more advanced than kids that don't sign. We'll see. We didn't do it with my other 2. But they have picked it up plus they can both sign the entire alphabet. Hayden now even makes up his own signs, like for hot, all done and paci. The others he does are the actual signs though, we mostly did food related stuff like finished, more, milk,drink, eat...stuff like that. It has made things soooo much easier because even before he was capable of talking he could tell us what he wanted, which made meal times alot better, he knew we understood him and he got more if he wanted it without getting upset or could tell us he had enough or what specifically he wants...it's great

I take Poppy to Sing and Sign and we've been going since she was about 4 months. She's not using any signs yet but a lot of the older children in the class do. TBH, it's just a really nice weekly session where we get to meet other mums and babies, and do lots of singing and playing, and the signing bit is an added bonus. If she doesn't pick it up I won't be too bothered but it'd be nice if she eventually tries a few :)

Lots of people say to me that she won't speak if she can sign as it will be easier for her to sign than talk but from what I have read it is a great early communication aid and there are very few cases of babies ONLY signing when they get to talking age.

I do it with Marlie and she loves it. She's signing more, finished, milk and mummy right now, although she signs mummy to anyone, not just me!

We start our baby signing classes in a few weeks - I'm really excitied!

I'm not going to any classes, but am going to start signing in a month with the hopes she'll start picking it up by 7 months a little :)

I sign with both of mine. We got the sing and sign DVDs and started at around 6 months although this time around I'll just from day one. We also watch Something Special which they love and helps me pick up new signs.

It's been really helpful. For them to sign words they can't say or to say something like "change nappy" has been really beneficial. It hasn't stopped now as they sign difficult words to say like "dinosaur" and "crocodile" etc. now.

Can't recommend it highly enough TBH.

I started a sing and sign class with Alfie 2 weeks ago and he loves it, i just bought the sing and sign DVD too so my DH can join in and doesn't feel left out, i'm also crap at remembering the signs lol My friend uses it with her daughter and its amazing, i can't wait for Alfie to start using the signs

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->