Baby signing

2wantedpls

Mommy to a little prince
Reaction score
Does anyone do baby signing?

I was thinking of doing this but

1) didn't know what age to start
2) didn't know if it slows down babies speech
3) how long it took for babies to pick up?

I am going to be starting this soon :) You can start from any age at all but I have read that the best age is to start from about 6 months as they will find it easier to pick up from this stage. It also actually improves their speech and they end up having a better understanding of words and so their speech tends to be developed at a younger age than of a baby who hasn't done baby sign :)

Check out this site - https://www.babysign.co.uk/faqs.html

xxxxx

Cool I was just thinking about finding out more info on this earlier today. :flower:

Evan is 3 months tomorrow and I think it would be a complete waste of time for him now, he is deffo to young and he wouldn't get anything out of it. So if you can wait I reckon it would be better for you both :)

If ya dont wanna go to classes there are plenty of books available im gonna try this and see how it goes there are plenty of online sites and YouTube too so in my opinion there is no point wasting money on clases x

Im hoping to start soon but waiting for the class to get back to me re: price! Still not heard and its been weeks!

I read 6 months is best age to start and also that the baby/child encorporated the signing with speech so wont slow it down.

Dont know much else though as I said Ive only just looked into it myself. x

I do it quite often. I started when he was newborn because I needed practice and wanted to learn it so that it came really easy to me when he was older. There are classes you can take here, but I haven’t enrolled. I spoke with the teacher of the class and she said you can start whenever you’d like, but a good age is six months. I would think that it would do the opposite though, I think it would pick up the speech moreso than slow it down because they have different ways of expressing it. It’s best to start sign language with them now because they will retain the information better than if they were older. I’ve been doing it with Kenneth since he was born but he hasn’t signed anything back yet, the teacher said most babies who have been signed to, start signing back around 8-9 months, I’m so excited for it! :flower:

we go to Sing and Sign classes.
The class lasts about 30 -45 mins and we learn a couple of new signs each lesson, as well as singing lots of songs.
They suggest starting at 6 months as that is when they will take things like signing in, but the teacher told me that it may take a couple of months before they start signing back.

Daniel really seems to love it. He enjoys the singing and I have noticed that he gets excited when I do the 'milk' sign at him when he is due a bottle.

You can start whenever you like. Babies can start signing from as early as 4 months - and that wasn't just "blah" from the teacher, there was actually a 4-month-old baby in our class who would sign for "milk".

Even if they don't sign till later, it's a great social baby group to go to :)

It won't delay speech, as you always say the word along with doing the sign :)

I'd say start going as soon as you'd like, and enjoy the social aspect of the class whilst you learn ;)

We have been going since Lo was 4 months he has just over last 2 weeks started to sign nappy change and daddy - daddy the best as sits there signing saying dadadada!!

Have added couple pics excuse the grumpy face getting ready for bed!

Attachments

• IMG_5131.jpg
    IMG_5131.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5132.jpg
    IMG_5132.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1
I started using sign with DS when he was about 5-6 mos and he was signing 'more' by about 7 mos. He's 13 mos now and can sign: more, finished, milk, bath, and he does his own version of 'brush teeth.'

His signs aren't all exactly like mine, but he does them consistently and they're close enough.

We didn't take any classes. I just knew American sign-language (ASL) from uni and taught him the signs I know. Plus, we do some songs together from singing hands and lots of fingerplay songs as well.

It sounds quite popular.

What age to babies Start to talk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->