Baby spitting out milk - why?!

Leafy

Reaction score
My baby is 2 weeks old, she will take most of her feeds fine but sometimes she will go 3 or 4 hours then want her next bottle and when i give it to her she drinks little bits and spits them straight back out! Does anyone know what this means? I looked on google it says babies do this when theyre full but she goes 3-4 hours between every feed so i know she is hungry and she'll do it from the start of her bottle.

A 2 week old is still learning to feed so they might do odd things while learning. How is she 'asking' for a feed? Is she crying? Is she upset/red? Sometimes if the feed comes a few minutes late, they get a bit to upset to drink properly and might spit a bit... then retake it soon enough (crying is a 'late' hunger cue at 2 weeks, her sticking a hand in her mouth or puckering her lips is when she is ready to be fed). Congrats on your new baby.

This will generally resolve itself when she learns to feed better.

My LO does this when he has too much wind to swallow the milk. I wind him before his feed just to make sure he's not going to struggle and then I wind him a couple of times during his feeds as well as afterwards, it sounds a bit extreme but it worked for me. My LO is 8 weeks now and he rarely does it but I think he's always just had an extreme amount of wind compared to other babies, I gave him gripe water when he was old enough but that just made him throw up his while feed (well it seemed that much at the time!), he's never really struggled with pain because of the wind so I didn't realise this was the problem at first I just thought he was full (as that's what all the advice says).

A 2 week old is still learning to feed so they might do odd things while learning. How is she 'asking' for a feed? Is she crying? Is she upset/red? Sometimes if the feed comes a few minutes late, they get a bit to upset to drink properly and might spit a bit... then retake it soon enough (crying is a 'late' hunger cue at 2 weeks, her sticking a hand in her mouth or puckering her lips is when she is ready to be fed). Congrats on your new baby.

This will generally resolve itself when she learns to feed better.

She grizzles a bit and makes a sucky noise with her hands by her mouth. It took me well over an hour to feed her this morning because she was spitting so much out. :(

My LO does this when he has too much wind to swallow the milk. I wind him before his feed just to make sure he's not going to struggle and then I wind him a couple of times during his feeds as well as afterwards, it sounds a bit extreme but it worked for me. My LO is 8 weeks now and he rarely does it but I think he's always just had an extreme amount of wind compared to other babies, I gave him gripe water when he was old enough but that just made him throw up his while feed (well it seemed that much at the time!), he's never really struggled with pain because of the wind so I didn't realise this was the problem at first I just thought he was full (as that's what all the advice says).

I will try winding her before her feed to see if this helps, thanks. I do wind her during and i've bought some gripe water but it says not to give until one month old. x

too cold? I had this issue with dd and we wasn't warming her bottles enough.

I wonder if even a size 1 teat is a bit too fast for her, that maybe a preemie teat could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->