Baby still unsettled after a feed

Dinah93

Happy mum to two preemies
Reaction score
I exclusively expressed for 7 weeks as my son was born early, and 3 weeks ago he started to transition onto the breast. He has now been fully breastfed with the assistance of a nipple shield for 2 weeks. After a feed he never settles down to sleep, he's always a bit sick so maybe thats it, however if I give him a bottle of EBM he takes 100ml in around 4 mins and then goes into a lovely deep sleep for 3 or 4 hours. Tonight he's been feeding for nearly 3 hours so far, one side then the other back and forth, and he still isn't remotely settled.

As I was expressing every 3 hours I was getting 800-900mls a day, around 60-100ml on average from each side each time. Since he went to exclusive breastfeeding I've noticed I don't get anywhere near as full or uncomfortable between feeds, if I try to express I'm lucky to get 30-40ml even if its been 4 or 5 hours since he fed off that side. I'm wondering if he's not getting enough, and what I can do about it since my body has down regulated thinking he doesn't want as much as he seems to need. I don't know if its using the shield, or the fact that hes very very small and falls asleep then starts again then falls asleep multiple times in a feed that maybe interferes with milk flow. I can't go back to exclusively pumping and giving him all his milk by bottle, my daughter is 2 and I have my new son and I just can't spend as much time on the pump as I'd need to to get an adequate supply for him.

Is he having enough wet and dirty nappies?

He might have just been eating more from the bottle because it's easier?

the best way to up your supply is to feed feed and feed. You might want try a wrap or a ring sling to feed him in so that you can have hands free for your 2 year old. He is likely just a little lazy as bottles are easier to feed from.
Drink lots of water.
Lots of skin to skin.
Eat Oatmeal every day. (not instant)
Fenugreek and blessed thistle.
Mothers milk tea.
All options to help up your supply.

Is he suckling?
I ask as my 3 week old latches on beautifully and it looks like she's feeding well, she fooled all the midwives. She lost too much weight after birth and now 3 weeks in we have figured out she doesn't suckle properly. She can't seem to suck, swallow and breathe together.

So although she looked like she was sucking and swallowing, she wasn't.

X

IF there is a problem (and I say IF because my bf baby was rarely settled after feeds), there are two possibilities:

1) Using shields means your breasts aren't getting enough direct stimulation and therefore are not supplying his needs

2) There is a latch issue that means he has to work extra hard to get anything out but again it doesn't stimulate the nipple quite enough to match his needs (this fits with the falling asleep a lot but also seeming unsatisfied.)

Can you try without the shields?

Also if it is number 2 it isn't a total disaster and doesn't mean you can't breastfeed. Look in to tongue and lip ties, see different LC's if you aren't getting help, and remember that these issues are common in smaller babies and can improve given just time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->