• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby stuffy for 6+ weeks now!

thehippie777

Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago LO got her first cold. She turned 4 months old. Ever since then, she had been stuffy. I have done everything, almost, me and everyone else can think of. After 3 weeks of being stuffy, I brought her to the doctor and he said she was fine, no secondary infections and he checked her neck and throat for swollen anything. She was fine

She is in pretty good spirits during the day. She's never been a good napper, but before the cold she was a decent sleeper. Was sleeping 4ish hours at a time and eat.

I am not sure if she also hit a sleep regression because she as also sick. Most nights she sleeps an hour and cries. Usually I can get her back to sleep in 10-15 minutes, but 45 minutes later she's crying. She often gets startled because she can't breathe through her nose all of a sudden even though I cleaned her out and gave her various ointments to help her, steam, humidifier.

I am so very tired. DH works out of state right now and has for over a month. I asked my only local relative, my brother, to help me when I was also sick and he refused because "you are a parent now, buck up and get over it". Most of my friends that offer to help have young families of their own or live at least an hour away.

On top of the stuffiness, last week she really started slobbering and gnawing on things. Is she also teething?!? The doctor said she wasn't even close to teething 3 weeks ago, but that can change right?

Any advice? I work full-time, so this is really starting to wear on me.

The slobbering and gnawing on things is a developmental thing that all babies go through around that age and doesn't necessarily mean teething (my daughter did it, but didn't get a tooth till 11months).

When you say she is stuffy, does she actually have obvious catarrh or is it just her behaviour (startling awake because she cant breath etc.) that makes you think her nose is blocked?

That age is classic for a sleep regression (45minutes then starting awake crying is classic of the 4month sleep regression) but if you have actually observed her being unable to breath while sleeping then I would go back to the doctor with that just in case there is something else going on like Apnoea.

She's stuffy, I can hear it in her nose and she gurgles and chokes on it, which makes her cough of course.

I asked a doctor I changed from when she was younger if babies can have apnea and he said no, there is no study ever done on that. Course, that was the doctor I changed from.

She's stuffy, I can hear it in her nose and she gurgles and chokes on it, which makes her cough of course.

I asked a doctor I changed from when she was younger if babies can have apnea and he said no, there is no study ever done on that. Course, that was the doctor I changed from.

There is something called post nasal drip (I think?) but I can't work out if it is a specific medical condition or just something normal that just happens when you have lots of catarrh.

I know that in some of the other feeding forums cows milk protein intolerance (and maybe other allergies) has lead to extra snotty babies.

If it is possible to prop up one end of her cot so she is sleeping at a slight angle, the mucus might run down her nose rather than back in to her throat?

I might be totally off the mark but it sounds like the symptoms my son has when he is exposed to sometimes he is allergic to. He doesn't tolerate milk and soya and when he has soya especially he can have sleep apnea. He also gurgle, coughed and choked when he was getting milk through my breastmilk. Anyway may not be relevant for you but it took us from birth to six months to work this out for ds2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->