Baby wraps / slings

glitterfly

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Looking for a bit of advice or anyone's experiences really regarding slings / wraps for newborns. I have a 2.5 year old who is pretty independant but every now and then likes her pram so I figured for the first few months at least a sling is the way forward that way i can keep my single pram in case my toddler needs it. I have also seen a few mums with them and think they look adorable and are probably better if trying to BF which I plan on trying.

So which would you recommend? Are there any mummies with the same plan or is this pretty unrealistic?

Thanks in advance.

Xxxx

I used a Moby wrap with both mine when they were newborn and up until about four months. I found it totally invaluable. My DS had reflux and cried unless he was held so it meant I had two hands free to get on with things and run after my DS. You want one that the baby's legs can tuck in when they are newborn and and then keep in a frog leg position as they get bigger. Ones like the baby bjorn where their legs hang down from the crotch are not good for the baby's hips or your back.

I've used slings with both my DD's and plan to this time around. With DD1 I used a baby bjorn which isn't a great choice as the older ones aren't ergonmic although they do now have one model which I believe is (baby needs to be supported knee to knee, the knees should be slightly higher than its bum) and means that the baby kind of dangles (very bad for it's hips). It also really hurt my back and shoulders and I gave up pretty quickly.

With DD2 I carried her in a stretchy wrap (check out Moby, Boba, Victoria sling lady) which is just a long length of jersey t-shirt type material. These are great for the first few months or so and you can feed in them. Check out YouTube for tutorials. They aren't great once the baby gets a bit heavier. I then went onto use a connecta full buckle carrier which I used up until DD2 was almost 2 and didn't want to be carried anymore.

There are lots of options out there, I personally would start with a stretchy wrap (you can pick one up for around £20, I have a Victoria sling lady one) then visit your local sling meet to try out other styles before you spend any more money as wraps and carriers can be quite expensive, you want to make sure that you picking the right one for you.

Feel free to ask me anything if you feel I've missed anything. Also check out the natural parenting board on here as there are lots of babywearers on there.

Thanks so much ladies, it's great to hear your experiences. I was looking at the moby slings but as you say some are quite expensive. I didn't know there were groups? Is there a forum or something that I can use to find my nearest one?

I'm so pleased that you both don't think my plan is totally ridiculous and I'm so excited to have that closeness with DD2. I had the time to sit and snuggle with DD1 but she's a bit of a handful now.

Are there any places in particular you'd suggest buying slings from are the usual websites good enough.

Sorry of the 20odd questions and thank you again for your replies.

Xxx

Of course it's not ridiculous and using slings other than the dreaded baby Bjorn is definately becoming more mainstream as people realise it just makes things easier, especially with subsequent children.

I've just checked on Facebook and Liverpool have a sling library (I see you are from there). I would contact them and maybe get along to one of their meets if it's close enough for you or ask them if they know of other groups closer.

As I said Victoria sling lady stretchies are very well respected amongst baby wearers and come in around the cheapest, you can get other cheaper ones on ebay but check out the reviews first.

Websites I've used and had good service from are
www.victoriaslinglady.co.uk
www.connectababycarrier.com
www.lovetobenatural.co.uk
www.slingheaven.com
www.koalaslings.com

Don't worry about the questions, fire away!

I have a cot2tot stretchy wrap and plan to do the same as you, especially as my DS is older so will give up his pushchair sooner. My friend also did the same when she had her second. Might be worth checking out nearly new sales for secondhand Mobys as well, I went to one a year ago and a woman got one for £15. You can pick up some which have been barely used as some women or babies don't get on with them.

A stretchy wrap is best for the newborn phase. Once he got bigger, I moved my first to a SSC/buckle carrier, a boba. It makes everything easier...Breastfeeding, cleaning, cooking, living. I still wear him at 19.5 months, and I'm 8.5 months pregnant!

On the expense, you can make a no sew stretchy that is super easy and cheap!

I have a money wrap which I liked. It's not too good when it's hot because you and baby get hot and sweaty. If you try the different wats of how to wrap it before baby is here you'll know it takes a while to learn how to do it but once you've done it a few times it's easy xx

Unrealistic? Nope! I've gone over 2 years and all the way through a second pregnancy without using a stroller with my daughter once. We don't even own one, just wraps and soft structured carriers. For the newborn stage, woven wraps, stretchy wraps, and ring slings are all excellent choices. If you're a beginner, stretchy wraps and ring slings are easier, but woven wraps will work from newborn to child. I'm still wearing my 2 year old.

In my experience, newborns prefer to be on you anyway for the majority of the time and not in a stroller.

There is a group on facebook called Babywearing on a Budget that has ergonomic carriers for all under $100. That's usually a good place to start. Wraps and ring slings retain their value, too, but you can get good prices on used stretchy wraps.

I liked the Moby before my daughter could hold her head up on her own, after that I switched to the Ergo and love it. I'm another one who's never used a stroller (well, aside from bike rides/long trail walks), I think your plan is perfectly realistic!

No strollers here either! I find it freeing to just pop lo in a carrier and go :)

Of course it's not ridiculous and using slings other than the dreaded baby Bjorn is definately becoming more mainstream as people realise it just makes things easier, especially with subsequent children.

I've just checked on Facebook and Liverpool have a sling library (I see you are from there). I would contact them and maybe get along to one of their meets if it's close enough for you or ask them if they know of other groups closer.

As I said Victoria sling lady stretchies are very well respected amongst baby wearers and come in around the cheapest, you can get other cheaper ones on ebay but check out the reviews first.

Websites I've used and had good service from are
www.victoriaslinglady.co.uk
www.connectababycarrier.com
www.lovetobenatural.co.uk
www.slingheaven.com
www.koalaslings.com

Don't worry about the questions, fire away!

Thank you so much for this! Xxxx

Wow thank you ladies. Some fabulous replies there and you've really boosted my confidence, thank you. :) I'm going to check out a few of the slings and as one lady has mentioned see if I can pop down to a group to try them out.

Thank you all so much again for taking the time to reply to me.

Xxx

As the others have said a stretchy is the best thing for a newborn. There are many out there and some are one way stretch and others two way. It's good if you can try them out before you buy so getting to a sling meet or library for advice would help. Have a look on www.slingpages.co.uk , it's basically this yellow pages of all things slings in the UK. Another couple of stretchies that haven't been mentioned that I like are snugiwraps and Hana.

I love my carriers! I have a Moby, but then I found a Wrapsody hybrid for a good price on the baby wearing swap someone mentioned above (babywearing on a budget) and I'm in love with it. Has the stretch to make it easier as a newborn, while still being safe for back carries and older babies. Score! :)

Also have a ring sling, a Lilebaby, and a Moby Go. Kind of feel like I need a mei tai to round things out. I love babywearing. :)

I just ordered my Solly wrap a week ago....so excited to try it out!

https://sollybaby.com

I used multiple different wraps, carriers and slings with my DS and found the stretchy wraps worked best and were most comfortable for us both. I've heard great things about the Solly wrap!

Just gate crashing to say thanks ladies. I'm going to have a 16 month age gap so thought about baby wearing and leaving the 16 month in his pushchair, which I'd love to be able to do, but the sling we have - only a cheap one - isn't great. This has definitely convinced me to buy a new one and give it a try though. Thanks again

Hi george83 I'm pleased you've found it useful. These ladies have been brilliant. I've emailed my nearest library so I can go and test some out. Too excited. :)

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"