back from the MW and abit frustrated..advice please nd also q about students

Rozz1e1

Pregnant :D
Reaction score
Ok...so will be 37 weeks tomorrow and although in my notes it was written that from 32 weeks I should be being seen 2 weekly I last saw mw 17th march and she booked me into for today...nearly 4 weeks later!
And now at term it says I shoud be being seen weekly...no next appt is 2 weeks time when ill be 39 weeks. Just feel i should have been seen a tiny bit more regularly...considering apparently high risk pg....
Anyway..the actual appt...well Iv gone from measuring ahead by about week and a half since 28 weeks but have now shrunk and now measuring 36, which isnt bad but just one of those odd things lol....baby is now 2/5-1/5 engaged, the student mw checked and my mw didnt,...the student didnt seem certain but my mw didnt check either...but even the student said "oh I cant really feel her head at all and she is really down isnt she" Sounding like she was actually fully engaged...then went on to say that baba is a chunky monkey lol and feels very long lol! Just all seems a little odd that my mw didnt check what the student said...iv nothing against student mws at all...i was a student nurse so am more than happy for them to poke and prod me and learn lol but i always thought that the mw should check? The student was in her 2nd year.
Iv always felt really rushed when seeing my mw, still not discussed fully birth options/pain relief nothing at all.....I asked about whether I could have a water birth due to bmi and she said she cant say no depends on the day but all being well yes i might be able to which cheered me up abit...
Do you think that the mw should have rechecked what the student said? The mw listened to what I said about feeling like im sitting on her head lol and all the pressure etc etc and said sounds lilke she is fully engaged...so i dont know how engagaged she actually is....xxxsorry if im ranting just looking for some advice xxxx

It sounds like your midwife isn't doing her job properly, by 36 weeks you should of write your birth plan and you should be seen every 2 weeks from 32 weeks and onwards, the fact she hasn't seen you in over 4 weeks is slightly worrying, she's the one that's supposed to give you information, check you over etc.
and yes, it's very odd that she didn't check the baby's positioning.
And as for your baby's growth slowing down, that's fine, I was measuring 2 weeks ahead, then it went normal and now it's back up to a week ahead, and I'm still here, pregnant at 40+2 so I don't think it makes a difference x

Your 24, 32 & 34 week appointments are one's that you need to make yourself at your local GP's office. I didn't realise this & midwife didn't tell me so missed my 24 week appt :p They are just a general check up, blood pressure test, heartbeat etc..

This is my second and as im 'high risk' im seen fortnightly and have been since 26 weeks! I would be massivly annoyed at that! I wouldnt be so concerned that the MW didnt double check the student though, how angaged baby is, in the grand scheme of things, doesnt really matter until shes on her way x

It sounds like your midwife isn't doing her job properly, by 36 weeks you should of write your birth plan and you should be seen every 2 weeks from 32 weeks and onwards, the fact she hasn't seen you in over 4 weeks is slightly worrying, she's the one that's supposed to give you information, check you over etc.
And as for your baby's growth slowing down, that's fine, I was measuring 2 weeks ahead, then it went normal and now it's back up to a week ahead, and I'm still here, pregnant at 40+2 so I don't think it makes a difference x

Thanks huni, i know fundal measurement is rather inaccurate lol just seems odd that it would decrease so much lol but I guess with baba dropping down it kinda makes sense now I think about it...It is odd about not seeing her regularly and Im nervous about thebirth because the only things I know are what Iv asked on here and read in leaflets when Iv been at hospital and asked the drs and mw at the hospital when lil missi has been playing up lol xx

Thanks huni, i know fundal measurement is rather inaccurate lol just seems odd that it would decrease so much lol but I guess with baba dropping down it kinda makes sense now I think about it...It is odd about not seeing her regularly and Im nervous about thebirth because the only things I know are what Iv asked on here and read in leaflets when Iv been at hospital and asked the drs and mw at the hospital when lil missi has been playing up lol xx

Yeah, well it's stuff you need to know especially pain relief and your options during labour and birth, If you want a water birth she needs to write it down cause otherwise the hospital might not have one ready, there's other stuff like the vit k jab and the forced placenta delivery you need to talk about/agree on, so I'd defiantly say its worth telling her what you want and not taking no for an answer x

Your 24, 32 & 34 week appointments are one's that you need to make yourself at your local GP's office. I didn't realise this & midwife didn't tell me so missed my 24 week appt :p They are just a general check up, blood pressure test, heartbeat etc..

See i asked the GP this and they said no..and when i spoke to the mw a while back she said you go direct through me for appts....Im thinking it must differ trust to trust xxx

Yeah, well it's stuff you need to know especially pain relief and your options during labour and birth, If you want a water birth she needs to write it down cause otherwise the hospital might not have one ready, there's other stuff like the vit k jab and the forced placenta delivery you need to talk about/agree on, so I'd defiantly say its worth telling her what you want and not taking no for an answer x

Thats the biggest thing...shes not even discussed my thoughts about having the injection to help deliver the placenta, nor whether I want the delayed cord clamping etc etc xxx

She sounds ridiculous! I really would tell her your needs and demands x

She sounds ridiculous! I really would tell her your needs and demands x

Thats the thing, she is a lovely lady and Im sure she is a very good mw just very busy and now by the next time I see her i may well have had baba by then so itll be too late lol x

TBH my MW last time and this time havent discussed that stuff with me.....all theyve said is 'have a think about what you want and put it in your plan'! Its hard when they only have 10 min slots to see each person!x

TBH my MW last time and this time havent discussed that stuff with me.....all theyve said is 'have a think about what you want and put it in your plan'! Its hard when they only have 10 min slots to see each person!x

It is very hard I completely understand that, Im a nurse so I get the limits that mw are faced with its just frustrating xxx

My gp did this with a student. I kept asking him to double check against what student felt when smooshing my belly (student hadnt a clue what he was doing) and my gp wouldn't. As for the appointments, weird too. Can you phone anyone to confirm that you're scheduled appointments are correct? Maybe you're mw did know what was going on or got confused.

There is the community office who iv been in contact with because my mw was on holiday a while back and cancelled a clinic so i had to book through them and they were aware of it then, its strange cos one of the mw i saw when my mw was off a few weeks back and when she was arranging my nxt appt she was like ooh her clinic is full next week and shes on leave for 2 weeks and dont want to leave you 3 weeks so late on in your pregnancy so call office and arrange appt....I did and still had to wait...my mw knows when iv been seen and i always make a point of saying ooh ill be such and such a weeks along then kinda thing..i guess shes just busy xxxx

Im due tommorrow and no one has discussed my birth plan with me either I think the care I have received has been disgusting and will be putting in a complaints after he is born thank heavens for baby and bump x

Sorry some of you seem to be recieving sub-standard care.

This is my first baby so no previous experiences, but so far I am really happy with my care and all my appointments have been much longer than 30 mins (and always about an hour late as I have got chatter boxes for MWs!).

I will be bringing up my birth preference notes this Sunday at my 28wk appointment. I don't think they know what each mum wants to know so I always go in with masses of questions written down to go through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->