Back labour nightmare

K

Kalah

At 1:30am my water broke so me and my husband called the hospital and were told to come in. My blood pressure was high so they had me stay. Eventually they put me in a room to wait in until there was a delivery room available for me. The contractions weren't really progressing at all they were very mild so I didn't need any pain relief at this point. They sent my husband home because the visiting hours ended, they said if I go into full labour they would let him come back but he had to leave until then. I was having contractions every 7-10 minutes, not enough to be established labour, so I didn't see my husband again until morning. At around 2 the contractions started to progress and were coming more often, but still kind of random. Since they weren't happening every 5 minutes they still said it wasn't established labour and wouldn't let me go to a delivery room and refused to give me any pain relief other than paracetamol. By 3pm the contractions still had the same frequency but were very painful and to make it worse the pain didn't stop between contractions my back was in extreme pain. The midwife tried to check my cervix, but she said she couldn't find it so I must not be in established labour yet, so still no pain relief despite me crying in pain. At 4pm the pain was unbearable, contractions were more frequent and I even got sick because it hurt so much. The midwifes ignored me at this point and despite me SCREAMING in pain they wouldn't even come in the room and STILL no pain relief. At 4:30 I suddenly felt the urge to push and sent someone to get a midwife. A different midwife came in and checked my cervix to find I was 9.5cm dilated, suddenly a load of midwifes appeared and rushed me to a delivery room. Once in the room they gave me etonox (FINALLY) and at 4:58pm my baby girl was born =)
I was also told that she had been back to back, that's why my labour was so painful. Since then I've read some about back labour and the symptoms and it was so very obvious that I was having one, so why didn't they notice? Why did they make me suffer so much? Has this happened to anyone else?

I really hope when I decide to have another I won't have this problem again, but I definitely won't be going back to that hospital.

aw am sorry you had a hard labour. you should put in a complaint!!! xxx

Sorry you had such a horrible birth. :hugs: Congrats on the new LO though!! :flower:

congratulations! :)
sorry to hear that you had such a nightmare with your MWs x

I had back labour - all 33 hrs of it! I 'toughed' it out from 5:30am till 11:45pm before saying I needed to go to the hospital for pain relief. I used gas but begged for the epidural and the mw kept putting me off. At 4am she realized the baby was posterior and that I was actually swelling closed! It took till 5:30am to get it but it didn't work very well.
I know how traumatic that kind of birth is - I was really angry at first but I am over it now. I thought that it was cruel that they waited so long to get me help but I think they get a lot of women carrying on so it's hard for them to know when it's a real problem.
Congrats on your lo, you should be proud of all your hard work!

Firstly congrats on the birth of your baby. xxx

I to had a 15 hour back labour with my first dd, but I didn't know and the mws treat me like crap until she came out sunny side up and they realised how much pain i'd been in grrrr.

My second was 3 hours and a piece of cake. Hopefully your next will be loads easier. x

I had a back to back with Caitlyn, 5 days of slow labour, 2 days of actual labour, so much pain and a horrible recovery. Still my little girl was worth it.

Alden was two hours forty one minutes of labour, easy, done at home with no pain relief :thumbup: :)

I suffered this in my labour too. I had such a horrible labour I'm finding it hard to feel myself.

Firstly congrats on the birth of your baby. xxx

I to had a 15 hour back labour with my first dd, but I didn't know and the mws treat me like crap until she came out sunny side up and they realised how much pain i'd been in grrrr.

My second was 3 hours and a piece of cake. Hopefully your next will be loads easier. x

That's exactly how I felt. I had about the same amount of labour as you, 14 hours, I hope my second will be short and simple too!
Did you have back labour again with your second? If not was it a lot less painful? One thing is for sure, if my next one is the same way I'll be a lot more demanding about the pain relief than I was last time!

Congratulations on your LO. I have just realised i experienced back labour too! I was in labour for 26 hours.From when it started to when it finished my contractions were never more than 4 minutes apart-lasting a minute each time, and yet after 12 hours i was still on 1cm dilated!

I have spent this past 11 months thinking i must have been a wimp as the MW's sent me home once-and told me to 'have a bath and a paracetamol'-i thought how do others cope with this as i felt i would explode-but my mum said the other day-don't forget he was back to back and wouldn't budge (that's why i had an emergency c section in the end).

Incredibly painful-but hopefully you'll be luckier next time ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->