Back to back, 8lb5oz.... G+A! (long)

oboeverity

Mummy to Ted and Willem
Reaction score
I know this will get moved as it's a birth story, but I can;t for the life of me find the relevant section, so...

The Birth of Willem Timothy Ernest
27th September 2011
Willem’s labour was exciting, and …. Drawn out! Just over two weeks prior to his due date, early on the Sunday morning, I had woken to contractions that were becoming closer together and more painful. After about an hour of these pains, which were centred in my back, as Willem had been lying back to back for some weeks, they just stopped! And then nothing at all! I was a little relieved, but also very frustrated! I had been much bigger and waddlier with Willem than I had with Ted, and part of me was desperate for labour to begin!
Over a week later, I was having very intense pressure into my bottom, and pain in waves, so had rung the hospital, after midnight, and they had advised me to wait til the pains were five minutes apart and then to set off. I had been diagnosed at 28 weeks with the strepB infection, and knew that once contractions became regular, or my waters broke, I would need to be admitted onto LDRP for IV antibiotics. Labour ward hadn’t been my first choice; after Ted’s ‘textbook’ entry to the world I had wanted a homebirth, but my high BMI (36) and my use of prescription drugs had precluded this, so a compromise of Huddersfield birth centre was offered, and then retracted when the strep B was discovered. Once again, as soon as the contractions started to become regular, they stopped, and we were back to square one! I had been having awful insomnia and restless legs, and by that point, I was VERY fed up!

On the morning of Monday the 26th of September, I had decided to go into town for some last minute baby shopping, and to simply get out of the house! I waddled slowly down to the bus stop at 1pm, and caught the bus into town, where I spent a happy couple of hours wandering and getting bits and pieces. The pressure on my hips and pelvis were astonishing, and I finally gave in and got a taxi home. Lots of people started at my ample belly, and some asked how much longer I had to go. It felt very strange saying that I was due the next day, as I had fully expected to have Willem early (Ted was three days early).

When I got home, the man was repairing the boiler, and we stood and chatted briefly. As I saw him out, I realised I felt damp, and closer inspection showed that my trousers were wet. I knew that if I rang triage, they would tell me to put on a pad, and sit for an hour or so, to see if it was amniotic fluid leaking, so that’s what I did. I texted Richard to tell him what was happening, and he said he was about to collect Ted from nursery and leave. By the time he had got home, and Ted had shown me his new trick of walking, I was ready to check the pad; Richard confirmed that it was damp.

Richard put Ted in the bath and I called triage, explaining that I thought I might have been leaking fluid, and that I was SBP, and they called us in. We put my hospital bags in the boot of the car, just in case, and I checked that it was ok to take Ted to a friend’s, and packed him a bag. I felt awful. The plan was always that Ted would be at the birth of his brother, as it would happen at home, and here we were, making every effort to keep him away.
We took Ted to our friend, and she expertly whisked him off. After a short detour to stock up on sandwhiches at the Co-Op, we wended our way to Calderdale Royal Hospital’s maternity triage ward.

The ward were rushed off their feet, and though we were first in the queue, after the two women already occupying beds, it took an hour and a half to be seen, and by the time we went in, there were three women behind us. We were called to a side ward, I gave a urine sample showing small traces of protein I was and monitored for thirty minutes. I’d been monitored in this pregnancy before, twice. The first time was at 28 weeks after I had experienced tightening, and then late, at 36 weeks, when Will had been uncharacteristically quiet. This time, as well as Willem dancing about, which, thanks to his position, we could clearly see from my tummy, we could also see plenty of uterine activity on the trace. Although I couldn’t feel them, I was having short, irregular contractions and Will was reacting to them.

The CTG being normal, it was decided that an internal exam be done with a speculum, and the kit duly appeared. Richard and I were a bit silly at this point, as when the midwife announced that she would need a torch, we both burst out laughing! A torch was sourced, and though there was no fluid to be seen, there was evidence of a fairly heavy infection, so swabs were taken for analysis, and we were sent home. Instructions were given that we should call the ward and return if the contractions were painful and fewer than five minutes apart.

We went to get Ted, and took him home to bed. Richard too went to bed, and I sat in bed, watching catchup TV on my laptop, shopping on eBay and talking to friends on Facebook chat…. They gradually went to bed too, and I was once again alone in the wee small hours!

At around 3am, I started to feel very uncomfortable. I was cramping, and those cramps, starting in my back, were beginning to feel very uncomfortable. I went to the loo, and notced that there was blood when I wiped. Not being sure if the blood was a show, or from the speculum, I went back to bed. An hour later, being still awake, I went to the loo again, there was more blood, this time with tinged mucus, and I know ‘this was it’. I had a shower to see if the cramps would ease, and they didn’t, so at 5, I woke Richard and explained was was happening, I was desperate to hang on until 7, so we could get Ted up and take him to nursery, but I knew we weren’t going to make it. At around 6 I asked Richard to call our friend, while I called triage. The midwife on the phone could tell I was contracting, and called us in while Richard jumped in the shower. I woke Ted up, and he was surprisingly good natured! I dressed him, and Richard loaded the car. I remember vividly being on all fours breathing through contractions with Ted on all fours copying me! Richard took Ted to our friend and I got dressed. I took two paracetamol.

The drive to the hospital seemed to take forever; we took back roads, and early morning drivers seemed to be going at well below the speed limit!With each contraction, I was inwardly singing the words from ‘Defying Gravity’, which kept me focussed. We were admitted at 6.40 am, however, and after waiting for a bed on triage which didn’t become available we were taken straight to a room on labour ward; it must have been quite evident that this was the real thing, as the midwife asked me to get changed. She said she wasn’t going to examine me, as the shifts were about to change over, and I’d end up with a new midwife. We were left to settle in, and I noticed that there was no window…. This was a bit sad, as I wanted to know what time to day it was from more than simply the clock. A new midwife appeared, called (?) and she examined me, finding me to be 3cm (hurrah!) but that my cervix, though on it’s way, was not especially shortened, and had some way to go. At some point she must have handed me over to someone else, because the next midwife was called Hannah Woods, and she was, simply put, brilliant! It was the one and only time that I was examined.

I was put on the monitor again, and Willem was still moving about well, having been quite quiet since 3. I was in considerable discomfort, but had wanted to hold out on the gas and air for as long as possible. The song words had been replaced by ‘Every contraction is one fewer’, and it seemed to work! The lights were turned right down.

I predicted to Richard that we would have a baby by 11am; this took two hours off our time with Ted!

By the time I finally relented and allowed myself the gas and air, I felt as though my pelvis was being ripped apart. The pains were no longer in my back, though Hannah assured me that he hadn’t turned. They were right down low, and the gas felt brilliant. I uttered the immortal ‘we need this stuff at home’, but only used it as sparingly as I could; as the contraction subsided each time, I stopped, and rode it out myself. I was desperate not to become overly dependent. My affirmations had now become ‘Every contraction is one fewer’ (on the breath in) and ‘I can do this’ (on the out)…. As time went on, I was surprised to change the out breath affirmation to ‘This is His plan’. My faith has taken a beating lately, and I never expected it to come into play. I received the IV antibiotics via a cannular in my right arm.

I must admit to losing track of the time; Hannah was in and out and Richard only left my side once to get food from the car. At some point, I told Hannah that as the contractions were tailing off, they were ending in pressure to push. I know that things were close. I remember at one point asking for some Rennies, as I had awful heartburn. I chewed them up, but was sick on them, as I was on the paracetamol and codeine that Hannah gave me latet on. I was taking sips of water throughout which really helped. At some point, I got up for a wee, only to have a contraction on the loo; no gas and air there!

As the pressure to push grew, I lost all inhibitions, and lay there, legs akimbo, moaning through them; that’s how it feels, though Richard tells me I was very restrained! I do remember at one point, mentally telling myself to remove my fingernails from Richard’s hand; he later admitted that I drew blood.

The feeling of needing to push is unlike any other, and by the time it came, I was ready to get Willem out! I tried my hardest to bear down with my chin on my chest, and asked for the bed to be lowered. I told everyone that I’d had enough, and that I could do no more but lots of encouragement got me through. I remember biting on the mouthpiece of the gas and air so hard that I thought I was going to break my front teeth. All the time, I saw, and appreciated the fact that Hannah never took her eyes of me, but let me do what I needed to do. It makes me want to cry even now knowing that I listened to my body 100%. That’s something I never thought I could do, and I have Karen to thank for that, as she taught me that I could do it. Even in my moments of greatest pain, I knew I could do it, and that I needed to see it though.

I remember Hannah telling me that ‘we could really do with these waters breaking’…. Willem was born ‘en caul’, or with his membranes intact. Richard says it was very bizarre to watch. As his head had been out for some time, Hannah made the decision to knick the membrane, and with a final push, Willem was out, flowed by a gush of amniotic fluid. I remember that feeling of the body following the head all too well from Ted’s birth, and it was no less a relief this time! The monitor beside me flatlined, and I knew Will was finally Earthside, rather than Mummyside!

Will was put onto my chest, and we had our first cuddle. After finding the scales, it transpired that I had delivered an 8lb 5oz, back to back, en caul baby, on his due date, using only gas and air for pain relief… there are no words.

We were moved to a side room on birth centre as there was simply no space on recovery, and though the bed was awful, being a delivery bed, it gave me the time to get to know Will and get up and about under my own steam. He showed no ill effects from the step B , or my medication, but did have a huge amount of mucus in his tummy which he proceeded to throw up generously over the next 24 hours.

Out of labour, I got a beautiful son, but I also got back some of the control that I felt I lost birthing Ted. Having Ted was the best thing that ever happened to me, but I sometimes feel that delivery left me in shock, and with a number of demons that precipitated my post natal depression.

Will is now 5 days old, and it feels as though he’s always been here. Ted is very accepting of his baby brother, if not always as gentle as we’d hope, but what do you expect from a 15 month old, whose nickname is ‘Mr Bounce and Shout’?! I pray that they grow up to be as close as brothers as they are in age, and that they will always have a best friend in each other. I can’t wait to watch them grow up.

Sunday October 2nd 2011

Thankyou for your birth story - it is totally inspiring and just exactly what I needed to read right now. I am so scared of giving birth, this is my first. I have just had an awful couple of days and have learnt my baby is back to back. I have had painful contractions on and off for 3 days now, but they have now stopped. During this time I have been so weak and keep telling myself I cant do it. After reading this I should be telling myself "It can be done, and done really well"

Congratulations on your little boy, you must be so proud. :)
xx

congratualtions and well done such a lovely birth story

Many congratulations on the birth of baby Willem. You are a fantastic writer, your story brought tears to my eyes. Well done for doing it only on gas and air with a back to back little man!!

I wish you and your gorgeous family a very healthy and happy life together x

Wow, maybe i can do it too. I would like to go without epidural. Congratulations

Fabulous birth story! I really like your affirmations :) Do you have the birth story for Ted anywhere? It would be nice to compare if that's ok.

2nd October is my Mum's birthday and she is fab, so it's a good day in my eyes! :thumbup: xxx

Thankyou for your birth story - it is totally inspiring and just exactly what I needed to read right now. I am so scared of giving birth, this is my first. I have just had an awful couple of days and have learnt my baby is back to back. I have had painful contractions on and off for 3 days now, but they have now stopped. During this time I have been so weak and keep telling myself I cant do it. After reading this I should be telling myself "It can be done, and done really well"

Congratulations on your little boy, you must be so proud. :)
xx

Will's labour was so stop/ start that I was beginning to lose hope that we'd ever get going properly.... but it did; it just needed something to tip me into full blown labour. You CAN do it.... a bit of faith is all that's needed, but listening to your body is the best advice I can give xxx

Fabulous birth story! I really like your affirmations :) Do you have the birth story for Ted anywhere? It would be nice to compare if that's ok.

2nd October is my Mum's birthday and she is fab, so it's a good day in my eyes! :thumbup: xxx

Hi lovely,
Ted's birth was very different...

Here's my birth story! Edward Alexander Lyall Quarmby was born in the early hours of Saturday 29th June, 2010.

Well, having been a fed up bunny for weeks, I wasn't sorry to have Ted arrive four days early! I'd had a gut feeling that we wouldn't last 'til tomorrow (EDD 29th June), and as all my other gut feelings about this pregnancy were right, I was getting a bit tired of the 'oh no, first babies are always late' discussions. I felt huge, and was hot. I never really enjoyed pregnancy as much as I thought I might, and I feel a bit guilty about that; I hope that's just baby blues talking, because I'm so glad Ted's here!

Last Friday, after no sleep whatsoever (nothing new there, with the warm weather, and my RLS) I developed a banging headache, quite early on. I spent some time in the nursery, putting together the play gym and dusting; I think deep down, my mummy sense knew what was happening. At 10am I went to bed (Richard had gone to work), and last looked at the clock at 10.25 am. I was supposed to be meeting Richard in town at two (he only teaches till lunchtime on Friday) but woke and and felt so rough that I asked him to come home and pick me up.

Richard was home by ten to two, and seeing how poorly I looked, he suggested we stay home. I was feeling crampy, and although I had been for a few days, again, there was something not quite the same, and I wanted to walk them through, and see if we could turn them into something else! We had a list of final nesting bits to get, so we went to a local restaurant for lunch. While there, I popped to the loo, to find the first hints of a show, and by the time we got to Matalan to get some final sleep suits, the pains were coming very twenty minutes. We made it to Wilkinson's, by which time I was a very grumpy bunny!

Back at home, we rang Calderdale (Halifax) triage, where they told us it sounded like labour, but to wait 'til the pains were 3- 5 minutes apart. By six pm, they were, so I showered, we had something to eat, and by 7, we were at the hospital. The pains were increasing in intensity, and I was hanging off the handle by the passenger side door!

We went to triage, gave a urine sample, and had my BP tested. An internal exam showed that I was 2 cm dilated, so the midwife performed a sweep to get things moving. It was fairly instant, and she told us that baby Q would definitely arrive that night! We were sent off for a walk, and were told to return when the pains became too much. The triage ward was shutting down because of maintenance work at the hospital, but the staff were great at putting us at ease, taking my hospital bag from me to take to the labor ward.

We attracted lots of looks as we walked the hospital grounds, with me stopping every two minutes! Eventually, enough was enough, and we went back to the labour ward to be met by midwife, Rosie, who was very matter of fact, and really lovely. She wasn't greatly impressed to hear I hadn't been to antenatal classes, but explained that we were going to breathe through the pains together, and 'blow them away'. She showed me to a bed, where my bag was waiting, and performed another exam... still only 2 cm! Rosie gave me two choices- pethadine or a warm bath. I chose the pain relief, but she had other ideas, and we were taken to the bathroom, where I spent the next two hours breathing through the contractions, and with Richard, talking about the baby, and generally being daft! By the time Rosie came to check again, the pains were so bad that I couldn't cope. She told me to get out of the bath, and while drying off, I was sick... that wasn't the worst as the retching was so bad that I lost control of my bladder too. I was mortified, and kept apologizing, but the midwives were fantastic, and brushed it all off!

I was taken in a wheelchair to the delivery suite, where I met Emma. It was about ten to ten by now, and I couldn't sit or lie down. After another exam, and still being 2cm (!) I was told that I was fighting the contractions, and that I needed to relax. The gas and air appeared, and I did my best. By 11 (I think... I need to check with Richard!) was given some pethadine. I was beside myself with pain, and between contractions, spent a lot of time in a drug induced stupor!

I seem to remember looking at the clock at around quarter to midnight, and my body had decided the time to push had arrived; I had never felt anything like it before, and the midwife asked me not to, in case I pushed baby Q back the way he had come... on closer inspection, I had dilated all the way from 2cm to fully in the last half hour; my waters finally broke, and we were ready to go! It took me a while to get the hang of effective pushing, but in the end, only five minutes to get baby Ted our entirely! I can honestly say it was a sensation unlike any I have ever felt. I was convinced that the pethadine wasn't working, and when the midwife and Richard told me they could see Ted's head, I told them not to lie to me, convinced they were saying it just to make me feel better!

Anyway... by 12.29 we had a baby son. He was put onto my chest, and in the photos, I look so spaced out that they could have given me a puppy and I'd've believed it was my baby! Richard cut the cord. No stitches or tears, but a very sore undercarriage!

Lovely story! I have strep b and baby's currently back to back too so it was really inspiring! Congratulations on your little boy! Xx

what a fabulous inspiring birth story. It was just so thrilling to read and so detailed. Makes us all think so much more clearly and positively, Thank you for sharing it. Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful son :)

Thank you for sharing the story of your first son. I have to say even that one sounds not tooooooo bad!!!! I see you are cloth bumming, so I will try to keep an eye on you in case I have any questions.....:blush:

Aw, that's beautiful! Congratulations! Inspired me to know that I probably will be able to do it too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->