Bad Back N Exercise, I Need Some Help!

T

Twinkle_Toes

Hi ladies...Im on week 2 of the diet and its going well but im really starting to have pain with my back again i get this on n off thru the month, so i was wondering if any of you no of any exercises that would ease the pain as well as get me fit at the same time?

I have a fittness dvd to do but i dont think il be standing by the time it got half way thru lol. :dohh:

What's wrong with your back, is there a specific injury in a disk or something? I'll let you know some good exercises if you can tell me that :) Sometimes a back exercise such as a deadlift will help improve a bad back, but sometimes back exercises need to be avoided.

Ive had the pain on and off for the last 3 years, long story short i jumped from a wall feet went from beneath me as it was wet and i slammed the base of my back on the ground, paramedic's said there was nothing wrong just more then likely bruised the muscles/tissue but had pain on n off since then but im guessing my weight and the boob weight doesnt help either lol

I've been to the doctors about the pain all say the same take paracetamol which has no effect so i just get on with it really, i would just like to do something that wont make it worse...as they wont do anything for me unless ive had constant pain for 8 weeks :(

i have alot pain/discomfort from my tailbone lower back since having a baby.
i find circuit training fine on it

I have serious issues with my back and frankly, find walking some days a bit of a challenge. At the moment I am doing exercise on the wii because I do as much as I can, but can stop when the pain in my back gets too bad. I started off at 10 mins and have worked up to 25. I also mix low impact with higher in short bursts. I can't sustain high impact for long.

Back strengthening exercises will also help your back. Pilates etc are good for this.

I've had back problems for 4 years now, and have had surgery, but still suffer with chronic pain. I have been on courses to help me deal with this situation, and every single one has heavily recommended exercise as being the thing to improve the situation. Something I struggled to believe due to the pain experienced when exercising. However, they were right. I spent a couple of months working on purely stretching exercises for my core muscles, and to get the extent of movement back which I had lost through my problems. Pilates would be a great thing for this, and you can do it in the comfort of your own home. Always stretch up to the point of pain, but not through it. You will find that over time you will be able to increase the length of time you can do these things before the pain kicks in. Once you've done this sufficiently, then gradually increase what you're doing by doing some other exercise. I go to the gym now, and you'd never know from watching me exercise that I live with severe chronic back pain. It can be done, with commitment and patience.
In terms of how this effects your weight loss, any movement or exercise is good for you, and you can burn just as many calories in a solid stretching routine as you will from a 15 minute run. Make sure you're eating well at the same time, and you will still notice a weight loss.
Good luck, I hope you manage to find a way to exercise through your back pain :)

Thanks ladies, i have noticed exercising every day the pain hasnt got worse it dies down quite a bit after im finished i do about half hours of light exercise in the mornings a quick 5 mins on a step machine i have in the afternoon and a half hour walk in the evening with oh i feel 100% better these's days and i havent had to take any pain killers woooo :happydance:

Have you tried swimming?

Hiya, well thats the thing i love swimming but havent been for over 2 years :( i just dont feel comfortable going by myself, always have been like that when it comes "exposing myself" in public anyways.

I could really do with a buddy for that sorta thing.x

Know what you mean. I've been talking about wanting to go for years but just couldn't take that final step.

Finally forced myself to the pool at the beginning of this week, prepared to die of shame with my fat ass on show, and it really wasn't bad.

I've been to the early morning and late night sessions, my pool does adult only and women only sessions and so far I haven't seen a single person with a perfect body!

Loads of fatties like myself, a good number of very elderly people, a lot of just average people, but no-one so stunning I wanted to hide and once you're in the water no-one can see anything anyway.

some yoga exercises are fantastic for bad backs.
I have a deep curve of the back (basically where the spine curves in, mine is deeper than what it is meant to be) also i have sciatica which gives me cronic backache some days as well
but seriously i find yoga fantastic for it, also i find i have less pain in my back if i wake up 10 minutes earleir each morning and do some stretches then i sit on the floor legs crossed, sat up straight, shoulders relaxed, arms resting on my knees, inhale slowly, exhale slowly, slowly lower your head as if youve got a pen under your chin that you want to hold there, so slowly roll your head forward, the curl your shoulders, pull in your stomach and roll your torso and stomach slightly as well (your should feel pulling down your back) the slowly roll back up, do this three times.
then once youve done this, roll your head to the left, lift and rest your left arm on your right ear, then do the right side, do this three times as well.
then finally imagine your torso is cut off from the rest of your body from just under your ribs, imagining this move your torso round in a clockwise circle, as if its sliding on a table, circle clockwise 10 times, then anti clock wise 10 times.
after this do the chin,shoulder, torso rolling one more time. relax, inhale slowly, exhale slowly. sit for a minute. then get up.

these exercises wake your back and torso muscles up one by one and wake them all of them up. it helps energise them and helps them to work together and support each other.

this really helps to ease back pain as the muscles are all awake and work together supporting each other.

(it also really helps correct posture which can also result in back pains)

hope that helps xx

oooo thanks for that hun i think i may have to try that especially when i get my bad days this week has been a nightmare since af showed up my back is soooo bad bloody hard work pushing the hoover round lol.x

Wannabe Mommy iv done pretty well so far iv'e lost an inch and half thru gentle exercise over the last few weeks so im back down to a 16-ish lol but i would just love to go swimming but still wayyyy off on the confidence meter :(

I know how you feel. I think it helps that I'm blind as a bat without my glasses so when I go I only see blurs so I can fairly effectively pretend that the other people aren't there.

Just to give you a boost. I am currently 19st 3lbs and a size 22-24. I guarantee you look better in a swimsuit than me!! I would love to be a size 16, it's my goal size!!!

Good luck with your exercise and congrats on the weight loss so far!!:happydance:

Awwww hun i was once that size a few years ago i just let the weight creep on :( now for health reasons and the fact of race for life im getting my arse in gear, I guess iv never been the confident girl i think i was only ever confident once and that was while i was 18 long time ago now lol

well dont on your weight loss too hun

Iv come to a stand still at the mo cos my back this week but im deffo back on it nxt week :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->