Bad news, gotta go on insulin :(

channy3232

Reaction score
Went to the dr today. My morning sugars have been on the high side. They're in the normal range but not where they want them to be. So yeah I gotta poke myself in the gut once a night. I guess it's not too bad but scary still. The NP said "to slow this baby down so he doesn't get TOO big"
LOL

Sorry to hear you'll need daily pokes. Hopefully it'll all be worth it when you get to meet your LO! :)

Will you stop once baby is born?

I might have to have a diabetes check and wondered what they did if it came back positive - do you get a choice like say diet control, pills etc?

It depends on what keeps your sugar levels in normal range. If diet alone works.. great! If not, on to something else. Generally, Gestational Diabetes is resolved once you deliver, except for a very small percentage of people. You are at higher risk for developing Type II Diabetes later in life though.

yeah 90% of the time it goes away. If it doesn't more than likely you were diabetic before getting pregnant and it was just not diagnosed.
They started me on a strict diet and like I said my fasting sugar was higher than they wanted so on to insulin.

Thanks for that!
I was pre diabetic a few years ago and sorted it through losing weight and diet so I know I CAN control it through those 2 things not pregnant, but never was sure if it was the losing weight or the diet change that worked - I suppose with that history there I have been lucky to get this far before any sugar showed up.
I stopped with the fake sugars thinking that was the better option for the baby but loos like I might be back on them.

I was kinda bummed because I was following the diet pretty well except a few days where I cheated. It was kind of a shock cause they didn't really say my numbers were bad until yesterday and BAM I'm going on insulin.

I know exactly how that felt, I controlled it for a couple of days on diet alone... then they decided insulin was the best... feels like the wind was knoocked out of you and it's all your fault... however it's really slowed the growth of the baby so it's within normal range and its part of my life and seems normal.. and I get induced on Tuesday...

I know exactly how that felt, I controlled it for a couple of days on diet alone... then they decided insulin was the best... feels like the wind was knoocked out of you and it's all your fault... however it's really slowed the growth of the baby so it's within normal range and its part of my life and seems normal.. and I get induced on Tuesday... :hugs:

Oh hun im sorry girl :( I was offered it but declined because they noticed I wasn't eating enough protien. They put me on more protien and my sugars are behaving. Good thing we found out what it was and my son only weighs 6pounds 14oz at 38w4days. I cheated yesterday though and felt so ill. Stupid me :( I hope all will be ok. I know its scary. I wouldn't want insulin. Im sure all will be ok though and you are in good hands.. Hugs

I am sorry to hear this...

I managed for a few weeks on diet but my morning readings were high too and a few tea time ones so got put on metaformin (tablets) twice a day which thank fully have kept me on track except when I have a naughty treat.

You dont have long to go and once you start you will get used to it I guess like with having to prick your finger.

:hugs:

Emma.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back