"Bad" sperm analysis results

marius97

Reaction score
DW and I have been trying unsuccessfully for the last ten months to get pregnant. Our youngest is nine yrs old and we wanted one more. She is 37, I am 38. Just as a first step in attempting to figure out why nothing is happening, I went in for a sperm analysis this morning...not good. :cry: The number that jumped out as abnormal was motility of 20-30A% when 50% or greater is normal. Most of the others were on the low side of normal:

Volume 2.0 2.0-5.0 normal
Semen Concentration 25,000 >20,000 normal
Total Count 50,000 >40,000 normal

Can any of you amateur doctors help interpret these for us? I did the test now so that she could take it to her OB visit next week where she was going to discuss why things weren't working out. Like probably most people on this forum, I'm not big on waiting. :wacko: Any insight on what these numbers mean or clarification on the possibility of a natural pregnancy would be appreciated. We decided going into this that we would let things be if there was a problem. We aren't interested in high tech methods of getting pregnant. We figure that it just wasn't meant to be. Is time to throw in the towel?

Sorry I don't have any information to be able to share of help. Just wanted to wish you good luck and hope you find the answers you're looking for!

Marius....we just received the same news few weeks ago. DH's swimmers were a little "slow". We were referred to a fertility dr and had our first IUI a week ago. It's not horrible news, you just might need a little help :)

If IUI (Intrauterine Insemination, if you didn't know) seems too high tech for you, there are some other ways to improve numbers. There are vitamins/supplements that can make a difference. Zinc and CoQ10 are a couple, definitely google it for more suggestions and specifics. Acupuncture & traditional Chinese medicine herbs can also improve semen count and quality.

I can't give too much detail because my husband's SA was normal, so we haven't had to treat him. Just me... Anyway, other women have mentioned these ideas, so thought I'd share.

Good luck to you and your DW! :thumbup:

My husband had a result of low motility then a repeat it was a little higher. Apparently u need several tests to be conclusive on motility. Try taking a vitamin called "maca" zinc and loads of vitamin c. It helped my husband a lot. We conceived after 3 months or so and conceived again without any help (by accident ) so I'm guessing his boys sped up! Best of luck!

My DH had all really great numbers except low morphology. The doc said it wasn't a big worry because his volume was huge. I wanted to maximize it though so I put him on a regimen. He's taking a male multi, Vits C, D, E, Zinc, maca, CoQ10, bee pollen/propolis/jelly and fish oil. We went in today for an IUI and his numbers had improved even more. The volume went from 140mil to 198mil.

I'm not a doctor, do your research, etc. etc.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->