Barclays Rant!

sw121

Mum of 1
Reaction score
I am sooo frustrated with Barclays. Me and BF recently opened a joint account with Halifax because of our impending arrival, so I need to close my Barclays account. I sent them a letter with all the correct details, and I sent it with my debit card and remaining cheques cut in two.

I received a letter today with them refusing to close the account, saying my signature does not match the one they have on file. I then had a very frustrating conversation with them that just doesn't make any sense.

She insisted my signature must have changed and I told her I have never changed my signature. I explained I wanted the decision reviewed and she said they couldn't do this and I needed to write again requesting the account be closed. I highlighted that this is ridiculous as I have already done this and they'd just say it didn't match again. I then asked them to send me copies of the signature they have on file and of my recent letter so that I can compare them. They agreed they could send the one on file, but refused to send a copy of my recent letter! They also said it didn't matter if I felt the signatures matched because they had already made their decision.

I highlighted how stupid this all was seeing as I sent the letter with my debit card and cheques and how would I have those if I wasn't who I say I am?! I also highlighted that I'd gone through loads of security questions on the phone and what more did I have to do to prove I was who I said I was. She just kept saying they couldn't close the account over the phone and ignored me when I highlighted I had sent a written request, which they have chosen to ignore.

I'm so annoyed with them - I highlighted I'd had an account with them for about 17 years and I've never had this kind of problem before, and it was interesting that they are only being obstructive now I want to close the account. My account still has money in it as well and I have no way of accessing it - it's not much, but it's the principle that it's my money!!

She then said the only way I could resolve it was to go into a branch - I highlighted that my nearest branch is several miles away and as I am 37 weeks preg and potentially having a c section next week I probably wouldn't make it there any time soon. This met with no sympathy whatsoever. I also asked what difference going to a branch would make, as I now have no proof that I have an account with them and they would still say my signature doesn't match. She couldn't answer my question.

I then asked to raise a complaint and how long would it take them to respond, only to receive the frankly astonishing response that they don't respond to complaints! BF had to take over the phone call at this point because I was getting so angry/upset - but of course they wouldn't discuss any of the details with him for "data protection" reasons. Arseholes. :growlmad:

wow - you got a real jobsworth there. There is a banking code and they need to respond to complaints. Ask for the name of their Chief Executive and tell them thats who you are sending your complaint to. If you don't get a satisfactory response then you can send your complaint to the financial ombudsman. I know at 37 weeks pregnant, this is the last thing you want to deal with so hopefully if you call to ask for the details, you might get through to someone who can be a bit more helpful.

what a hassle i'd go into the branch in person when you get a chance take a bank statement and other proof of identity demand to empty the account (can be done with bank statement and i.d) and for the account to be closed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->