Bassinet mattress question

sarah2211

Reaction score
We've been given a bassinet to use for our wee one, due at the end of August. It's a family heirloom and we need to use it. It's a bit bigger than a standard bassinet so I'm expecting our little one to fit it for 6 months. The bassinet will be beside me, next to our bed.

Unfortunately it's an odd size and I cannot find a mattress to fit it. So I've looked into some different options for custom made ones. I've been given a few different quotes. The most expensive is a wool option and the other is for a foam covered in fabric.

My DH thinks the foam option is fine but I'm worried about the chemicals and breathability. Does anyone know about what to look for in terms of mattresses? I'm a bit scared about SIDS and safe sleeping and don't want to take any risks.

Thanks.

My bassinet mattress feels like a small but if foam covered in a waterproof fabric. I know crib mattresses are foam and fabric covering so I think it should be ok for the one your hubby wants.

All of my kids' mattresses have been foam with waterproof covering, both bassinet and crib. However, I once bought a second-hand bassinet, and I put the thin little mattress on the floor while I was cleaning the frame. My dog tore into the mattress, thinking it was a toy or something. Ugh. Of course, the style of bassinet I had was no longer being made, and nobody sold the mattress for it, either. I bought a thin foam batting from JoAnn Fabrics (using a 50% off coupon), cut it to fit snugly inside my bassinet, put it in a waterproof king size pillowcase, sewed the pillowcase so it just fit the foam (you can tuck it underneath instead) and put my bassinet sheet over that. I used it for 2 babies and then donated the set to a family who used it for a baby and passed it along to another family who recently contacted me to say their 8-month-old baby has just moved out of it & asked if I had another family to donate it to. It's still holding up after 4 babies, so I have to recommend it!

Thanks ladies. After doing more searching I found something called Babe Safe mattress protectors. If you read about the chemicals that come off foam when they interact with house hold fungus, it's pretty bad! I think we might go with a foam mattress with a Babe Safe cover.

I agree. You definitely need a cover that will keep all the fumes in and all the spores and dust out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->