Bath, bottle, bed routine - help.

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by i_am_amy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. i_am_amy

i_am_amy New mum to Abigail.

We have been giving Abby a bath every night now followed by her bottle and then putting her up to bed for about a week now and it is working wonders. She is sleeping a lot better at nights now. The only problem is that she feeds at different times every day so we've been waiting til about 30mins before she is due her evening feed and bathing her then. This can be between 8 and 11 so we don't really have any real routine working. I would love to bath her at the same time every night and feed her and put her to bed at roughly the same time but don't know how to do it with her feeds. Do any of you do this as a bedtime routine? And if your lo feeds on demand how do you time it right? Do you just offer a bottle after bath regardless? I just wonder what you would do if your lo was due her bath at 7 but had fed at 6? Or due bath at 7 but was screaming to bed fed at 645? Any advice would be amazing, thanks. Xxx

2. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

Have your tried offereing a feed anyways? If its been a decent amount of time since the previous one she might take it....

3. Poppy7

Poppy7 Trained BF Peer Supporter

Sorry I can't offer any advice Amy but hopefully someone will as I was going to ask the same question about my BF baby.xx

4. history_girls

history_girls Mummy to 2 Girlies

We do exactly the same and were faced with the same dilemma. The late afternoon feed would vary from 4pm up to 6.30pm. We were trying to get a 7.30 ish bedtime when she starts to get grotty - she had been going at 8.30 . What we have tried:

Manipulating day feeds to try to fit - didn't work as we demand feed and not possible

Putting up with grumpiness and crying until almost time for a feed then do bath bottle bed - sort of worked by crying was horrid for all and we got no adult time.

About 8pm regardless of feed time do bath bottle bed - she likes this most. She will eat half a feed or a bit more. This is the only time we don't demand feed and she has never refused this. On brilliant nights she will go from 8.45pm until 5am!! Then back to bed until 8am!

Bringing bed time forward to 7.30 - disaster every time we have tried it. Wakes up more in the night and gets up earlier. We have given up with this for the time being and try to keep her awake until 8pm.

We just experiment and change one thing at a time. This week it has been bad due to jabs and christmas messiing up day routine - however we do bath bottle bed regardless.

Hope this helps

5. i_am_amy

i_am_amy New mum to Abigail.

I think we'll try this, we'll decide on when bath time will be and then offer a feed regardless of when it's next due. Hopefully this will work :) Does anyone else use this as a nighttime routine? xxx

6. emmyt

emmyt New Member

Hi I was wonderin if anyone could help me. I am trying the bath, bottle, bed routine. At first I as bathing around 7 ish then feeding in living room with lights and noise down low. After feed he would sometimes be quite awake though so would keep him in the living room in basket then at 10 ish we would wake him and give him a dream feed before putting him in bed. He then goes straight to sleep at this time for about 4/5 hours. I dont know whether to continue this routine? The reason i dont like it is i think the 3 b's should happen all together, so he goes straight into own bed and bedroom after bath and bottle, not back into living room. So do i bring bath time to later e.g 9:30 when I know he is going to be tired. If so then what if he is already asleep at 9:30 when I want to bath him should I wake him for bath? This seems a little harsh? I think it makes sense to change his bath time to later so he has the routine to bath, bottle and bed but just mainly confused as to what to do if he is sleeping already? Any ideas? pleeeeeeeeeese! :wacko: