Battledore placenta

ohmygoodness

Reaction score
I was at the perinatologist a a couple days ago getting an ultrasound. He found that I had a battledore placenta, also called a marginal cord. It means that instead of my cord being located in the middle of my placenta, it is on the edge.
He said we will have to come in for another ultrasound at 18 weeks to monitor it, and that it means my placenta has to work harder to be effective.
Of course, google is not my friend right now. I've read some serious worse case scenarios, as well as stories from people that didn't even didn't find out about it till birth.
I am using a birthing center with midwives, and they only take low risk pregnancies. I'm worried about the potential problems, and bothered that I don't know yet what this will mean for my planned birth. I've had two hospital births, it is not the kind of experience I want if possible.
Anyone have experience with this?

I had a battledore placenta with my daughter. It wasn't diagnosed until birth (induced at 35weeks due to low amniotic fluid). She was 7lb 6oz at birth ... Rather large for a 5 week early baby! It didn't cause any real problems for me. Good luck huni!

Wow! That is large for a 35 weeker. Glad that she didnt have any growth restriction because of it. I had heard about the possibility of low fluid. I'm worried that my birth center will refer me to a regular ob and a hospital birth as they only take very low risk pregnancies. Overall, I want a healthy baby and mama, but having the birth experience I want is important to me too.

I wanted to update here in case anyone else does a search for this. I had my son March 31, 2013. He arrived 15 days late! I ended up having him at home and had zero complications. he weighed 9lb 5oz. And was just as healthy as could be, though obviously over due. His skin was quite peely from his extra time in womb. My placenta was big, beautiful, and very healthy looking. The marginal cord was a slightly interesting feature of it. I spent way too much time on google because of this finding on my original ultrasound. My midwife wasn't concerned and everything turned out wonderfully. Little Judah is going to be celebrating his first year of life in a couple weeks.

Great news thanks for the update im sure that will reassure a lot of people :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->