Battling a Nursing strike

Lara+sam+bump

Reaction score
Well if anyone has read my previous post they will know that Noah is refusing to BF, but I am determined to get him back on the boob, below is my ticker for how long its been since he last fed. But I have been pumping 5-6 times a day, my supply is crap, but is slowly improving. ATM I only get an ounce collectively from 5-6 sessions, but its gone up from half an ounce and my let down has returned :happydance: so I know we are going in the rite direction. I am taking 2x fenugreek 3x a day and drinking lots, taking multivitimins and effacesent vit c. So this is my battle to extended BF, I just hope im gonna win lol :thumbup: xxx

Bought nipple shield on Ebay as LO bites when I do manage to latch him, thought it might help numb the pain slightly :dohh: also N has bottle preference, even tho he mainly drinks from sippys now :nope: so mite make the transition easier. I hav pumped an ounce already, so after tomoz morning pumps, usually 2, I will probs hav at least 1.5 ounces :happydance: so pleased with that. Had a bath with N tonite, held him in nursing position, showed no interest in nursing, but was happy enough bein held. Am gonna talk to HV tomoz, tho they are usually pretty useless TBH, but we will see.

OO! Good dedication! I hope you are successful!

I haven't seen this before -- I hope you don't mind me asking -- do you know what caused his strike in the first place?

Also, get loads of protein! That should help with milk supply! :thumbup:

I admire your dedication - -I HATE pumping and would do so more if I had to that often and only got that much. Go you!

Not entirely sure wat caused the strike, he has 2 teeth now, so could be that feeding was painful, so now even tho his mouth isn't sore no more he associates feeding with pain. Also he has had a cold, which actually turned out to be broncitus, thats nearly better now, but he was very stuffy and struggled to breath when feeding. Both are common causes of strikes. I just cant bare the thought of never feeding him again, neither of us are ready yet, just need to show him that boobie isn't gonna hurt no more. thanks girls :) xx

thanx you gave me courage..i ve the same problem...but now i wont give up...:happydance::thumbup:

Hi Lara WOW! Noah is one lucky baby to have such a dedicated, loving Mamma! Well done you for being determined to give your DS the best, warm, sweet, loving milk! Nursing Strikes are really rotten - usally the baby and the mother are both in tears over it! It can go to the very heart of mum-baby interaction, and feel like a huge rejection. Babies can and do get over them, but it can take persistence, which you are certainly showing! Well done you!!!!

There's a great resource on nursing strikes here: https://www.naturalchild.org/guest/alisa_ikeda.html but it might be better to have some one-on-one emotional support from a knowledgeable caring person. Can you get to a LLL meeting? or call the National Breastfeeding Helpline 0300 100 0212? Just being amongst people who know how valuable breastfeeding is, and who care about it the relationship, might be really helpful.

Mel

Thanks everyone and Sara K im glad that ive encouraged you to keep going, I will continue trying until I dry up or he starts again, whichever comes 1st. Il try calling that number tomoz thanks :) xxx

Held Noah in nursing position for his bottle last nite, and again for his sippy cup this morn. He allowed it, but wasn't overly happy with it. But then had a break through, altho a small one this eve. He was ready fn or bed and had his dummy, held him in cradle postion, got my milk flowing , took dummy out and offered the boob, he latched on and bit, I acted like nothing had happened, put his dummy back in when he fussed, then tried again, this time he actually took a few sucks then pulled off, we did it about 4 times, and then called it a day, gave lots of encouragement and made it a happy activity. So im VERY!!!!! pleased with that, we have progress. Also nipple shield arrived, but went to my Mums, so gonna pick it up tomoz and try with that. xxx

:hugs: :hugs:

So inspiring to read this. Sounds like there has been some good progress - best of luck - I hope it works out for you both
xx

Did the same as yesterday and held Noah in nursing position 6 times today, he latched and sucked a bit before pulling off, or biting OUCH!!! But he didnt get upset so thats improvement, then as I was putting him to bed he latched and actually sucked a few times :) oh and had him weighed on tues, a month ago he was 18lb 4oz, he now weighs 20lb 8 oz. So pretty excited about that :) WE WILL GET THERE!!!!!xx

Good luck hon, really hope it works out for you :hugs:

Good News, we are officially breastfeeding again:) Noah will BF for one feed before bed, not 4 long and only with the nipple shield. But am hoping the feeds will get longer and in time add another 1-2 feeds. Nipple shield is a god send when you've got a biter lol xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->