BBT charting confusion?

Zketchie

Reaction score
So, I bought a BBT thermomitor last night (thinking it'd be pretty straight forward!) Now, on the instructions it says:

"Normal oral temp. is 98.60F.
Basal oral temp during first part of cycle ranges between 96.50F - 98F.
Last 2 weeks of cycle the basal temp. is typically .50F higher.
(IE: Shift from lower to higher temp. occurs around the time of ovulation)"

I'm assuming this means that during my period and maybe a week after my temp. would show the 96.50 - 98F. This means that my temp. during the first part of my cycle is lower than normal. And AFTER ovulation it'd show 98.50 - 98.60F (going back to normal)? So what would a "normal" ovulation temp. be exactly? Does the "first part of the cycle" also include ovulation?

I'm guessing these are averages, but I read on Babycenter 97 - 97.5F (before ovulation) and 97.6 - 98.9F (after ovulation has occurred). Does this mean that when your temp. hits 97 it's more likely that you will or will be ovulating? Under this assumption, that would mean that I should BD any time my temp. reaches 97F and up until it hits 97.6F?

As I type this up I think I'm getting it a little more. But this also doesn't make much sense to me because (for craps and giggles) I took my temp. this morning even though I didn't wait until my next cycle start and it said 97.5F. I guess this doesn't make sense to me because I already got my period on July 6th. So wouldn't I of ovulated closer to the middle of the month (like somwhere between 17th-20th?) I couldn't JUST be done ovulating this late in the cycle, right?

I hope I make sense to someone out there cause I'm confused. :shrug:

Ok. Corrent. Yestersday it read 97.18F and this morning it was 97.24F.

Anybody?

hi there~

I think "normal" temp of 96.50F - 98F means healthy temp. A single temp doesn't and won't tell you much without the temp of the whole cycle.

I find that using "fertilityfriend.com" to help chart the temperature is very useful. Your before O temperatures should be lower than you after O temperatures.

For Example (I'm using my own temp for example), my temp range between 97.4-98.0 before O, after O, it will spike up, and my temp would range between 98.2-98.7.

Of course.. the 'range' is different for everyone. Just make sure your highest is not so high that means you're having a fever~ :)

First cycle charting with BBT won't show you much about your pattern until the 2nd cycle. Usually, there will be a temp 'dip' before O.

does it make sense? or am I confusing you even more?

how many day are you DPO? Sometimes ... you can have a temp dip after O day too.

I'm trying to look over your chart in your signature as a guideline for what you're saying, but it's still so confusing, lol.

You say your temp. before O is 97.4 - 98, but I see 4 days there where it was around 97.4. And right in the middle of those 4 low temps, there was a 98. Does that mean that during your CD7 - CD15 (when your CM was also changing) you were most fertile and that on CD15 you ovulated? Would that also mean that you can have more than 4 fertile days? (Cause I've read that the three days before O and the day of O you're most fertile?) Or does the fact that you got a BFP on CD15 justify why your temp. seemed so up and down prior? I'm looking at the April 2012 chart.

I'm sorry I'm being so darn technical :(

EDIT: I did start using FF recently. I put in the temps for yesterday and today, however they didn't seem to change anything. Possibly due to it being my first cycle using FF?

sorry... my chart for this cycle is a little messed up as I'm going through a mmc.

If you look at the one from April 28, that should be a good example.

Oh.. just reread your post. the one from april. cd15 is a positive OPK not HPT.

You can see though.. before CD16.. it all falls below what it calls "coverline" or "crosshair" as defined by FF. Your temp AFTER O should be above that and if it continues to stay way above the line, it's a good sign.

But of course.. all charts are different and it's different for everyone.

I'm sorry to hear that! Lots of <3

I was looking at the April 28 one. Haha. It's me, isn't it? I'm just not going to undestand it, huh.

you need more temps for FF to know to do anything :)

I'm still learning about all this too, but my understanding is that from your period until you ovulate, your temp should be 1/2 -1 degree lower than the second half of your cycle (from ovulation to your next period).

I also read that you'll see a dip in temp, then a spike and then you should ovulate anywhere from 12-48 hours later. And then some women will experience a dip right after ovulation but the next day your temp should go back up and stay there until your next period.

If I'm wrong, please somebody correct me. :)

But like the PP said, without a full cycle of temping, it will be hard to figure out it all out. My chart is a little messed up and I deleted my temps from July 11th until July 21st since I was using a regular digital thermometer which was giving me temps all over the chart. I got an actual basal therm. on Friday and my first recording with that one is on Saturday July 21st. Ironically I believe I ovulated Sunday-Monday that weekend... bad timing with the thermometer issue. Oops!

I'm so glad (not necessarily for you having issues as well, lol) that I'm not the only one confused. You guys are right. I just have to find the patience to wait to bleed. Hehe. I never thought I'd think that!

It's just hard for me because I'm attempting to do this now, a little more than a month since I officially stopped any type of BC AND without really knowing how long my cycle is. So not understanding my cycle in the first place and the potential of coming off BC wrecking it isn't helping my problem.

I really appreciate your help too, lxb. I just need to get more days on that chart and hopefully someone can help me read it at a later date if I don't understand it by then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->